Hmmm...What would you do??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hmmm...What would you do??? Hmmm...What would you do???

Unread 05-15-2007, 01:07 PM
Hmmm...What would you do???

I was thinking (gosh, when am I not???) about my recovery time....Which would you do.....Stay downstairs and camp out on the couch with a TV (bathrom upppppp a flight of stairs) or camp out in a room with no TV but bathroom within a small walking distance? Hmmm... Maybe I'll buy a tv put it in my room and have everything "right at hand" bed, TV, bathroom what more could a woman want? lol!

Will stairs be a problem? Forgot to ask my Dr.

Julie, Julie , Julie.....I have so much to think about and so lil time -- ya know what's crzy? I come home from work & sit and watch TV- I'll have plenty of time for all that- knowing I have a ton to do I just sit there....what's wrong with me??? lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-15-2007, 01:16 PM

I "think" you would want the bathroom close to begin with because it's my understanding you may be going frequently.
I would move a tv or maybe borrow a spare from someone else so you can have everything close to start out.
Then once you start feeling better you could change to another room.
Unread 05-15-2007, 01:19 PM

I'm only 6 days out from my surgery, but I would suggest you plan to make everything as easy as possible for yourself. I only have a couple of stairs to get up my porch, so that wasn't an issue for me, but my aunt said that doing stairs was very difficult for her after her surgery. I'd plan on not doing the stairs if possible, but if you feel good, you can always change! Good luck to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-15-2007, 01:22 PM

Well, that depends on the type of surgery you have. I had a LSH and he said no stairs for 2 weeks, but I did tell him I wanted to to up and down at least once a day so I don't feel trapped, and he said fine as long as I went slow and was in no pain, and I wasn't.

So keep a list of questions you forgot to ask and make sure you ask them before surgery, or have someone in your family as your surgeon after surgery, and get them answered.

Best of luck!
Unread 05-15-2007, 01:33 PM

Im having a TAH.

:confuse: Hopefully W/O removing my ovaries. Doc said tho I had to promise not to get mad that if they look horrible out they come too...ugh.
Unread 05-15-2007, 11:27 PM
stairs

We have about 15 stairs up to our br & pre op nurse told me I was only allowed to go down & up once a day. I think I read on here where someone said to go up stairs backwards (be careful) .
My dh just made sure I had everything I needed from br & I camped on the couch even though we have a bathroom and T.V. in the br. I would put another tv in the room so I'm close to the bathroom.

mshowdy
Unread 05-16-2007, 03:13 AM

I had an SAH and the Dr never mentioned stairs, then again neither did I. I run a business from my basement. The first 2 weeks mom ran it for me but about once a day I would need to find her something or show her something so I would come down. I took them sideways so I could use the bar for balance and 1 foot at a time. The first couple times it did take for ever and I was beat but I think in little doses things like that are good for us if we are cautious in our actions.

I still remember that there was a day probably 5 or 6 weeks Post-Op where I kind of ran down the stairs like I used to, I was kind of past the point of worrying and in a weird way it was like a signal that things were starting to return to normal. Put a smile on my face.

I remember the sit and stair at the screen saying ok 'next commercial I'm getting up and doing something' only for it never to happen. What was really bothersome to me was the nights I realized I wasn't even following what was on, just staring at the screen. I think its just all part of the process.

With regards to where to be, I'd have the TV with me. That being said, I like sleeping in my own bed and I like watching TV in bed so I think I would see if I could borrow a second one from someone and play the 'where will I be tonight' by ear. The first week or so I found it difficult to empty my bladder, I think that is not unusual, so i would 'go' and in 20 minutes have to 'go' again. It seemed 2 times was the charm but maybe something else to consider with stairs.

Best wishes,

Julie
Unread 05-16-2007, 04:53 AM

I was wondering the same thing. I hate my bed so Im thinking I'll be camping out in the recliner but then it's 2 stairs down to the bathroom. That or I can finally convince my dh to buy me the mattress topper he was supposed to get me for our anniversary 2 months ago.. hahaha. But then that would mean 12 stairs up to the bedroom... argh... decisions. Guess I'll reside wherever my tail falls.
Unread 05-16-2007, 06:57 AM

df -

If you really mean '2' stairs, and they aren't more than standard steps, you will probably find they are ok. For me it was 2 steps to let the dogs in and out and I didn't have any issues. Same as any others though, take them sideways and 1 foot at a time.

Give your recliner some thought though as well. If it is one of those that opens and closes with like sliding ease, it'll probably be your best friend for weeks. If its one of those that require effort on your part, you might find it hard to get out of. Pretend your reaching to pull the lever thingy, do you feel the muscles in your stomach tightening? If yes, you'll struggle with that Post-Op. Or maybe you just won't put the foot part down and will just roll out of it?

Julie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register