should hubby stay? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

should hubby stay? should hubby stay?

Unread 10-17-2012, 05:59 PM
Re: should hubby stay?

My older daughter (25) stayed all three days with me. The OB/GYN floor had new, awesome Murphy beds. We have a FMDT (freaky mother daughter thing!), so it was like having the other half of my brain within reach. I had promised my family that I would not be a WBNB (Whiney baby needy b****), so she knew me well enough to know when I needed encouragement, when to leave me alone, and when I needed her help. I can't imagine making the three days without her. My DH came by before work and after work and then took off a few days when I went home. I feel very blessed to have had my family, including my 21 y.o. daughter who stayed some days at home with me, during this adventure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-17-2012, 06:45 PM

I posted in this thread pre op but wanted to post post op too

I was only in the hospital one night. My husband was able to help me instead of having me buzz the nurses. One nurse said they like husbands staying because they can do other things.

I think if you want someone to stay over night you should go for it. We didn't ask, the nurse asked us around 9 if he was staying and she got him a pillow and blanket even a soda later on.
Unread 10-17-2012, 07:33 PM

Agree with <3Austin: if your husband can stay, let him!!! My husband was my lifesaver! I can't imagine him or some other advocate not being with me!

Best wishes for a uneventful recovery!
Unread 10-17-2012, 09:31 PM

I had planned to have my husband stay overnight. But, once we both saw how awesome all my nurses were, he left a little after dinner time. That way he got a really good night's sleep and was able to be really helpful the next day.

I would suggest that you plan to have someone watch your kids, but if you see that you are doing OK and like your nurses, then give him the option to go home.

I hope all goes well for you.
Unread 10-17-2012, 09:52 PM

I did not ask my husband to stay and I am so glad that he did not.
There are so many personal variables--they may not all apply to you so I will just give you my perspective.
-I did not have a catheter, so the nurse made me pee on my own as soon as I got to the room and she made sure I could roll my IV to the bathroom and use the toilet without any problem. Of course, I could always call the nurses if I needed them.
-The nurses will probably be in and out of your room all night--announcing shift changes, bringing you a new IV or medications, taking vitals (every 4 hours), and so forth.
-I could not sleep so I liked being able to watch TV, use my Kindle or laptop, etc., without worrying about disturbing him or disagreeing about what to watch.
-It is hard to sleep, so when I did, the last thing I wanted was to be woken up by his snoring.
-You need to pass gas a lot (at least if you are having laparascopic) and I mean, let 'er rip. I just can't do this with my husband there.
-My husband was at the hospital during the surgery, and waiting for me in my room. He actually needed to leave almost immediately to return some calls for his job, get some lunch for himself (we left the house at 5 am and even though my surgery was fast, it was almost noon by the time I got to the room), and to go home to let our dogs out. He called me when he was on his way back to see if I needed anything. He came back around 6 pm and brought two movies that had arrived from Netflix that day. We had a DVD player in the room, but I also could have used my laptop. We watched TV a while and then one of the movies. He stayed til around 10 pm. This worked out great, he made sure I had everything that I wanted before he left. And of course I had my phone so I could call him anytime if I needed him but I didn't.
-He texted me the next morning to see if I needed anything, but I had already been cleared for discharge, so he came back around 9 am and we went home.
Good luck with your surgery!
Unread 10-18-2012, 01:33 AM

My hubby stayed and I'm so glad he did! He has been a huge help getting me drinks and helping me get around and I think him seeing me helps to understand what I'm going through. I would say if there's any way possible you should definitely have him stay.
Unread 10-18-2012, 05:01 AM

I'm scheduled on Monday and even if I do stay the night my dh isn't staying with me. Regardless this is something that is between each husband and wife. Is it necessary- in most hysterectomies probably not. In a weird unusual situation it would be but the staff would indicate that. As I tell my families dealing with medical situations there is no wrong answer but the right answer is what is best for you and your family.
Unread 10-18-2012, 06:03 AM

My DH and I have a pact that we are each other's best advocate and last line of defense. He's planning to be with me on Nov.14, for everything except the obvious times when he can't be (though believe me, if they would let him be present for the surgery he'd be right there! I'm having a daVinci and he'd be all "Cool! Robots!").
I wouldn't have it any other way!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register