Prolapsed uterus, ovaries | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Prolapsed uterus, ovaries Prolapsed uterus, ovaries

Unread 02-04-2001, 10:04 PM
Prolapsed uterus, ovaries

Hi - I'm new here. I'm in need of 'real women' accounts about a hyster, with leaving the ovaries in and removed. At 48, uterus is prolapsed. Dr. has given me alot of options. I've decided to have uterus (w/cervix) removed, but am unsure about going into 'instant' menopause, by having the ovaries removed. It's an option for me. Currently I use herbal and doing ok. I'm afraid that I won't feel like myself and that it would take some time to get the right balance of hormone replacement, if I went with the removal of ovaries. Just can't afford the time to get the hormone replacement right. Mom had hyster at 39 (ovaries left), older sister on hormone replacement and just finally got the balance. If ovaries stay, I know that I will continue with the usual menopausal sysmtoms (hot flashes, feeling 'unwell' at beginning of my 'period' time) but hopefully will feel more like myself. Is there an increase in ovarian cancer? So far, peri-menopausal symptoms have been managable. I would like to hear real accounts of pros and cons of keeping the ovaries or having them removed. Thanks so much for any info. that you will share!!! I know that I'll be back to this site for more info. and support as my surgery date is arranged. Robin52
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-06-2001, 11:13 AM

Dear Robin,

At age 43, I was diagnosed with prolapsed uterus & chose TVH as the best option for me. I asked to keep my healthy ovaries, since they will continue to dribble out good things even long after natural menopause.

Get smart about your symtpoms and your options, and make the best choice for YOU

Sending cyberhugs,
Unread 02-10-2001, 05:18 AM
JMHO...

If you want to know the real deal about having ovaries removed -- check out the hormone jungle. Keep in mind that those who have NO problems probably won't be posting over there, but it's a good indicator as to what CAN happen when the ovaries are taken.

If you have healthy ovaries, I don't see an increase risk for ovarian cancer. To me, and this is just my opinion, why remove healthy tissue? I don't see them amputating legs or arms "just in case" you might get cancer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-10-2001, 08:38 AM

I am 45, one year s/p TAH for fibroids and heavy bleeding, kept my ovaries. They were perfectly healthy, my doctor didn't think that any healthy body part should be removed. My ovaries seem to be working fine. My doctor told me she would get a good look at the ovaries during the surgery and would only remove them if they were diseased. My only perimenopausal symptom is sleep disturbance, which I had for 2 years prior to the surgery, I take 25mg trazodone at bedtime and have never slept better. Good luck with your surgery. Melanie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register