petrified of general/anes. and hystoscopy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

petrified of general/anes. and hystoscopy petrified of general/anes. and hystoscopy

Unread 11-02-2005, 01:11 PM
petrified of general/anes. and hystoscopy

HELP. I'm new to this site and I am having a hystoscopy and D&C done on the 10th of Nov. and I am scared to death of the general anesthesia. I'm a little nervous of the procedure and the outcome, but what if something happens with the g/a????

Anyone out there that might be able to provide moral support and any suggestions or stories you can share.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-02-2005, 02:07 PM

I don't think it's unusual to feel like this. Most people I've spoken to have been frightened about a general anaesthetic. This January I had a transcervical resection of the endometrium to remove my fibroids and had a spinal anaesthetic. In July I had a TAH&BSO with a general anaesthetic and I found the g.a to be fantastic. I have a number of health issues but found my recovery went well. The only problem I had was feeling sick but the nurses are there to give you tablets or an injection to eleviate it. The anaesthetist are really aware of how frightened patients feel and are so reasurring. I have had a number of gynae operations over the years and have always recovered well despite having asthma, diabetes, hypertension and weight problems. I have never had any problems even though I'm counted as high risk. I hope that everything goes well for you and that once you go into hospital you find a comeraderie with the other patients. I did, infact there was so much hilarity in my bay that we were worried we might burst our wounds.
You'll find this site so helpful on your journey as there are so many women who will support you
God bless
Unread 11-02-2005, 02:31 PM

thank you for the wonderful words. I appreciate it. I'm sure everything will go well. Just scared of the unknown. And unfortunately, I'm a smoker and scared for the risks. Again, thank you.

God bless you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-02-2005, 04:45 PM

I can certainly understand how you feel. As many times I've been put under, I still get a little aprehensive and anxious. It's very normal to feel that way and usually the anesthetist will introduce himself or herself to you in the pre-op room and will put your fears to rest by being compassionate.

I'm sure everything will go just fine, best of luck!
Unread 11-02-2005, 08:34 PM

Hi Cheryl - I can understand your apprehension. I've had two D&Cs - one in Feb. 04 and one in Mar 05. Both times I also had hysterscope and everything went well. I also had two different doctors perform the procedure at two different hospitals. The first time I had 8-10 polys removed also.

The second time I actually had to laugh because I said I didn't want to be put to sleep until I knew the doctor was there because I had a couple questions for him. They said fine. He came talked to me and then I was wheeled into the operating room - they put me on the table and started getting everything ready and then the doctor walked in. I started getting nervous because I was still awake - so I said "hey I'm still awake over here" and they just said "not for long" and then I was "out". I had a fear of not going to sleep - not of not waking up LOL!!

There might be a little cramping afterwards and some bleeding for a week or so. I wanted to go back to work the next day but they wouldn't let me because of the general anesthesia.

Good luck - I'll be thinking of you on the 10th. I'm sure everything will be fine.

Mary
Unread 11-03-2005, 06:16 AM

Hi Cheryl,

I can completely understand where you're coming from, I've had a few general anaesthetics and for me they never seem to get easier. I thing I do insist on now is that lovely 'magic' cream they put on the back of your hand so you don't feel anything when they insert the needle (sorry can't remember the correct terminology), it numbs the area wonderfully, for me that works wonders. If I know I'm not going to feel any pain (I hate needles too), it relieves the whole stress of it. If you want the cream, be sure to ask for it, it's not generally put on here (in UK) unless you ask. Actually they always seem to use it for children, but I just have to have it even though I'm 37!

Another thing is I always burst into tears just before they send me off to sleep too. I think the best thing is to discuss your concerns with the anaesthetist beforehand, I'm sure you'll find them very sympathetic!

Hugs to you and all the best for the 10th!

Wiggle xx

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register