Nausea after run | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysteritaville - Wellness Post Hysterectomy > HysterSisters Club House > Women Who Run

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Nausea after run Nausea after run

Unread 04-26-2021, 08:07 PM
Nausea after run

I am 9 weeks post op from complete laparoscopic hysterectomy and was cleared 2 weeks ago to start running again. I have been running for 15 years with 16 full marathons and the last 7 weeks is the longest I have gone not running. I have started back run a mile walk a minute and nauseated when done with run. I have been doing 3-4 miles and yesterday did a 10k. I have never been nauseated before after running so not sure if it’s from the surgery. Has anyone else experienced this ? Thank you for your help !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-03-2021, 03:04 PM
Re: Nausea after run

Even though you've been cleared, you're still healing inside and that process can go on for a number of weeks. It doesn't matter that it was laparoscopic: you still had 5 sets of ligaments and many blood vessels cut as well as organs removed internally, and all those wounds were cauterized or stitched. My tell-tale signs of overdoing it were dull cramps and swelling - and the last time I dealt with those symptoms was at 5 months post-op. It could be that one of your symptoms of doing more than your body is ready to handle is nausea. You went from 3-4 miles to 10k fairly quick; while that's not unusual for training, it's a 50% jump in a very short time frame for someone who's 9 weeks past major abdominal surgery. Since we're used to fitness, it's hard for us to accept that we can't dive back in to where we were pre-op, and we try to compare it to athletic training where pushing through makes you stronger - neither of those are a good idea.

I'd suggest treating this like a running injury. First, do no damage. Rest for a few days, and when you resume, pull back considerably on distance and / or time, see if that helps with the nausea. If it does, you'll have your answer.

Just a side note. 7+ weeks ago, I underwent emergency surgery for intestinal blockage caused by a single band adhesion. The adhesion most likely formed after my hysterectomy. Didn't have a clue until I went from sitting at my desk to 20 minutes later writhing on the floor in excruciating pain with acute vomiting. What fostered that adhesion - did I return to work too early, did I start running too early at 8 weeks, or would it have happened anyway and I was just one of the unlucky ones? I'll never know the answer. I do encourage women to slow down. This was a complication I wouldn't wish on anybody.

Unread 05-09-2021, 03:40 PM
Re: Nausea after run

Thank you for the great info ! I have been resting and last run was much better .. 3 miles run/walk.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register