Upcoming hysterectomy 6/17, concerned about pre op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 6/17, concerned about pre op Upcoming hysterectomy 6/17, concerned about pre op

Unread 05-29-2021, 07:09 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy 6/17, concerned about pre op

Hello! I am so glad this group exists. I’m 53 years old and I am scheduled for robotic hysterectomy (only keeping ovaries) on June 17, 2021. I am anxious but also very concerned about pre op. The day before, I can have breakfast then a clear liquid diet. The concerning part is my surgeon wants me to drink 32 oz of Gatorade and be finished 3 hours before surgery. There is no bowel prep. Has anyone else had to drink so much liquid just hours before surgery? I want to comply but it just does not sound right. Surgeon insists this will benefit me for surgery and anesthesia. Also, I will insist on the Transdermal patch prior to anesthesia being administered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-29-2021, 12:52 PM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy, concerned about pre op

It doesn’t seem excessive to me, but you should call your surgeon’s office if you think there could be a misunderstanding
Unread 05-29-2021, 02:50 PM

Hi MargiePat to HysterSisters!

I am so glad you found this site.

As GPMS stated, please confirm any doctors orders to make sure your understanding is correct. This is quite important, as you are having MAJOR surgery and you want to make sure you are on the same page with everyone. Your health depends on this.

One reason for the Gatorade is that your doctor may want to make sure you are hydrated and have enough electrolytes in your system because a clear liquid diet can be so restrictive.

I was on a clear liquid diet starting after noon the day before surgery, with a light breakfast and lunch before. The day of surgery, my anesthesia doctor wanted me also to push liquids until about 3 hours before surgery. I am hypoglycemic so she did not want me to get sick because of that.

They learn new things every day. Also every doctor is different, and every patient is different.

:hushugs1:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-10-2021, 03:38 PM

Thanks for your response. How did you feel after surgery since you had to drink the liquid 3 hours prior?
Unread 06-10-2021, 06:27 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy 6/17, concerned about pre op

I was told not to eat after 9pm the night before and only water allowed the morning of but i was not told to drink any certain amount. The only time i was told to drink a lot was before bloodwork because i have tiny tiny little veins and it took them 30 minutes to get an IV into me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargiePat View Post
Hello! I am so glad this group exists. I’m 53 years old and I am scheduled for robotic hysterectomy (only keeping ovaries) on June 17, 2021. I am anxious but also very concerned about pre op. The day before, I can have breakfast then a clear liquid diet. The concerning part is my surgeon wants me to drink 32 oz of Gatorade and be finished 3 hours before surgery. There is no bowel prep. Has anyone else had to drink so much liquid just hours before surgery? I want to comply but it just does not sound right. Surgeon insists this will benefit me for surgery and anesthesia. Also, I will insist on the Transdermal patch prior to anesthesia being administered.
Unread 06-11-2021, 04:24 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 6/17, concerned about pre op

My robotic hysterectomy is on 6/18 and I was told the same thing about the Gatorade, it just can not be red Gatorade. I was told it was for hydration which helps the first few days of recovery go easier.

I'm super nervous and anxious. I've even cried I want and need the surgery but it's so scary to have major surgery. I'm doing a lot of praying, reading, and knowing all will be well.

Good luck to you!
Unread 06-11-2021, 06:58 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 6/17, concerned about pre op

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargiePat View Post
You are going to have the same surgery I just had. I am 65. I, too, had a light breakfast and clear liquid diet the day before. The morning of surgery, I had to drink a bottle of apple juice and be done with it 2 hours prior to surgery. The sugar apparently keeps the bowel from shutting down. I am sure it will also keep you hydrated. So this is very much normal. I also had no bowel prep. Your doctor is absolutely correct in that it will help you.

I was more concerned about having constipation. The morning of my surgery I awakened and was constipated. I just wanted to call and cancel surgery but I refused. I got to the hospital and that apple juice hit me and I had an explosion. LOL I told my doctor and she said things like that happen a lot and not to worry.

Do not worry. These are professionals who know precisely what they are doing. They do it on a regular basis and are there to care about you. I can guarantee you that the operating theater while you are there will be all about YOU.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register