5-year-old with bathroom problem | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces > Surviving Parenthood

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

5-year-old with bathroom problem 5-year-old with bathroom problem

Unread 04-08-2003, 09:48 AM
5-year-old with bathroom problem

Hello ladies,

I have a rather embarrassing problem that I'm not sure what to do about. My 5-year-old son began wetting his pants again a few months ago. At first I figured it was because of the change in after-school care that we were going through, because he's always hated change of any kind, but we've been settled with someone he likes now for a couple of months, and he's still doing it. I've taken him to the doctor to have his bladder checked and it's fine. I've tried putting pull-ups on him hoping it would embarrass him into going, although I've never sent him out of the house with them on, but that seems to be more of a convenience than anything for him. I'm at my wits end :hair: Does anyone have any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-09-2003, 05:14 PM

Mmmm?? If you've ruled out a physical reason, then I'd say it could be a control issue. Perhaps changes in his life make him feel out of control, and his toilet habits are the only thing he can control. I would make sure not to embarrass him about it. Gently encourage him to go on the potty. And have him clean up his own mess might also discourage accidents.

You may want to also use a reward system - instilling positive reinforcement. A sticker chart or something.

Good luck!
Unread 04-11-2003, 10:43 PM
Thumbs up - 5-year-old with bathroom problem 5-year-old with bathroom problem

It must be spring for five year olds and trying to make their mothers nuts!!!! My five year old son is "busy" to busy to make it to the potty. This irritates me to no end. Some days we make to the bathroom and not the potty and for some unseen reason the bathtub seems to be the bigger target I am tired of scrubing the bathtub Grrrrr. I have also caught him using trees. So what I did it set a timer for every hour and make him come in and go before it is to late. Boys are funny little creatures and who knows what goes on in those little minds, but this is working for us. It might be worth a try
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-06-2004, 01:03 PM

Daughter would not use tiolet at school. We had accidents.
We also had accidents due to bladder infection. It never occured to me. Who figures? Check physcial problem first, then check situational problems. Bookfairy
Unread 04-24-2004, 08:21 PM

I have a 6 yr old DS who has started peeing to bed which he hasnt done since he was 2.. My thought was he has went thru changes with Mommy's surgery.. I am giving it a couple weeks to see how it goes.. I dont think he has a kidney or bladder infection.. He drinks water most of the time which should keep them cleaned out..
Unread 04-26-2004, 07:56 PM

It is spring and it is more fun to be outside than to come in. It is also a good attention getter. Bookfairy
Unread 05-13-2004, 12:58 PM

My friend's DS who is now 9 used to wet himself a few times in class, as he was too shy to ask for the toilet. he was always one of the frequent trippers, so my friend and the teacher devised a plan.
Whenever teacher saw him fidgetting, she would send him to the toilet, rather than waiting for hime to ask, she would send him about every 40 mins, by whispering in his ear. Ever since they've done this, he has not had an accident.
Only problem is, he's going to have a new teacher again in Sept, so she'll have to start it up again!
My friend sends him at home about the same. He's been checked by paediatrician, and was considered normal. he is just basically shy about his toilet needs!
Unread 06-01-2004, 07:45 AM

During my first week home my sister took the kids and would bring them to see me a couple hours a day..She told me my six year old ds went up to her one eve and said "I had an accident..I pooped and peed my pants" She said "oh Nick how come?" He looked at her and said "Good Question! I think it was because I was playing way over there and when I felt I had to go and started to come in it came out" Just a case of I can hold it a little longer...not. We both laughed when she told me about it. "Good question" geesh little boys.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register