Someone's gotta be from Massachusetts!!! - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Neighborhoods > HysterSisters in the United States of America > Massachusetts

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Someone's gotta be from Massachusetts!!! Someone's gotta be from Massachusetts!!!

Unread 03-21-2007, 03:00 PM
Someone's gotta be from Massachusetts!!!

Hello again!
I had a TAH (including cervix, kept most of my ovaries, no HRT) last year also, my doctor and I had discussed the VAH method also but when faced with being under for 30 minutes to 1 hour compared to 1 to 4 hours.... I took the quick way.

I'd say I'm back to normal now and slowly doing the abdominal exercises to get the swellybelly smaller. It took me a while to really feel 100%, even in the summertime I knew when I'd over done it. In July I'd Kayaked around the lake and could really feel it afterward, didn't bother golfing because I wanted to make sure everything healed properly before I started lugging the bag and clubs around. I may have been too cautious but I figured I'd rather do that than have to go back under the knife.

Where in Chelmsford is Panera? Is it on 110 in the old Caldor's mall?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-21-2007, 03:28 PM

Its at the Drum Hill rotary. Next to the Paperstore where Hannaford's is. That's an exit further up Rt. 3 than the 110 mall.

What lake did you kayak around? I KNOW I wont be in shape to golf til maybe mid summer.... but kayaking I'm thinking is a bit easier on flat water anyway. Did you do any exercises last year to get yourself back in shape? I notice you're doing them now, but I'm wondering if I work on the abs now (slowly slowly slowly!) and start cranking up my walking, if I"ll be okay this summer.

I moved to Chelmsford almost two years ago and have a lake right down the street and STILL my kayak sits in the barn collecting dust and filling in as "home" for two stray cats that moved in this winter. I'm kind of using this "get back in shape" thing to get myself back in the paddle mode.
Unread 03-21-2007, 03:53 PM

Hi

Singingmad---I would take it really easy on the ab work....it's still very tender in that area, you really don't want to rush anything. I started walking every morning (thought I would HATE it) and was surprised that I actually noticed results. If you can find a route that has a hill, that will help. I thought that it would be really boring, and it would accomplish nothing and in a matter of a few days, I started to enjoy the time for myself and I noticed my muscles starting to feel firmer. And as far as your kayak collecting dust---if I had a nickel for every piece of exercise equipment in my house that is being used as a coat hook, I'd quit my day job.
Doglover1--I noticed that you have the ovarian cancer ribbon; I have a lot of that in my family--that's great that you show that support. By the way, Panera is only a 15 minute commute from Tewksbury, worth the trip! All the best, Kate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-21-2007, 06:54 PM

Yeah, I'll take it slow. Right now my singing is actually about the level of abdominal workout I can stand. But I have a really nice treadmill in the house that I can set for hills.... just going about 2 mile an hour at this point! And only for 15 minutes at a time. I'll get there!
Unread 03-22-2007, 12:05 PM

Hi singingmad and pakoo!
I love Panera Bread.... used to go there for lunch when I worked in Manchester, NH. Their breads and onion soup in the bread bowl.....mmmmmmm.

I kayaked on a lake in NH just south of Winnepesaukee. It was fun but I used full strokes rather than a gentle get-used-to-it stroke.

There is a page on this website that has really good ab exercises for after the operation. There's one that you just sit there and tighten your stomache muscles, breathe in/out etc. it's much easier on the cut/moved muscles that are still healing. I would suggest starting with that one rather than the more agressive ab lifts, at least for a while.

In class we do an ab exercise that has you lay down, cross your legs at your ankles, push you back to the floor, and gently lift your shoulders an inch or so off the ground (you feel the muscles below your bellybutton working). I would wait on that move though for a few more months.

Singing is a really good ab exercise.

I actually started off doing gardening, just taking my time and not lifting anything heavy. So any fertilizer was brought to the car by the store employee and I filled the spreader by bringing right to the back of the car and dumping the fertilizer in.
Unread 03-22-2007, 12:20 PM

Good tips, thanks! My DP does most of my heavy lifting even when I"m feeling fine! And I don't complain at all! But I figured those ab exercises might be a bit much for me at this early stage (just hit 6 weeks today), so I'll stick to singing and stretching and picking up my overweight cats for a while yet! LOL
Unread 03-22-2007, 01:06 PM
I'm in MA too!

Hi!

I'm at the edge of "Metrowest" and prefer (gasp) heading to Worcester for major health care needs. I've been thinking for a few months and have decided to have a hysterectomy due to pain, bleeding, etc.

I have to wonder about MA docs; my aunt just had a laparoscopic hysterectomy in the DC area. By ultrasound, our uteruses (uteri???) are about the same size, but my doc says it's too big for anything but a TAH. I spent most of this morning calling practices in Worcester, and found someone to consult about whether I am a candidate for the less invasive surgery.

At any rate, my mind is made up, and I hope to schedule surgery relatively soon.

--I'm also a "PJ" !
Unread 03-22-2007, 01:38 PM

Hi PJ. I think I'd listen to the doc DOING the surgery about what they feel they can or can't do. I've also been told its the size of where everything has to come OUT that makes the difference in doing the laparoscopic surgery... AND the length of time you'd be under sedation. Lots of different things come into play. I had my surgery in NH since I"m very close to the border and my doctor is up there. Due to the shape of my fibroid (which was outside the uterus) he had to use a curved incision and considering it was football size with a few buddies in there joining the party, and me not ever having given birth, TAH was my option. I didn't ask for a second opinion.. I trusted the guy who was going to wield the knife! If you are concerned that laparoscopic SHOULD be a possibility, hopefully a 2nd opinion will answer your questions, but I"d make sure to ask WHY specifically your doc is saying TAH only. Remember, the ultrasound only gives an approximate picture. My last ultrasound was in January... and the largest fibroid ended up being 4+ cm bigger than it showed. Good luck in your research and opinion gathering.
Unread 03-23-2007, 08:47 PM

Hi PJ, I'd talk to your doctor about the options and ask him 'point blank' if you can do the VAH if that is what you want.
My doctor said I could do the VAH if I wanted but since I had never had children, nothing had dropped so it might be more difficult. Plus given the difference in time being under Anes. and with them both having the same recuperation time I told her to just do the TAH. I'm glad I did because she found more endo on my ovaries so took care of that while in there. My fibroid had also become so large it was out of the Ut. and this was after having it chemically treated (to shrink it) a few months before, she wasn't able to cut it out due to location and size.

Good luck with the operation.
Unread 03-24-2007, 05:06 AM

Hi PJ

I used to live near Worcester too; there are some good surgeons in that area. Sounds like you are doing your research. I had the same initial concern as yours, wanted a VAH but went with a TAH and have no regrets. The surgery, either way, sounds so daunting, but it's very safe and thousands of procedures are performed every day. You will feel so much better....
Doglover1, hopefully your gardening days are just around the corner.... Have a great early spring weekend everyone!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register