Lupron injection | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Lupron injection Lupron injection

Unread 06-29-2004, 12:48 PM
Lupron injection

Hello to all, I am a new member and want to thank you for letting me participate in Hyster Sister. I would like to know if anyone is familiar with lupron? Has anyone had the lupron injection? I am 50 years old and my doctor recommended that I have a hysterectomy with the ovaries removed. I wanted to have a vaginal hysterectomy but was told the fibroids have grown larger this past year and cannot be removed in this manner, that it would have to be peformed through the abd.. My surgery is set up in Oct.. Yesterday my doctor called and told me about lupron and that she could give me the injection and the three months would be enough time to see if the fibroids have shrunk enough to attempt vaginal surgery. She also explained to me about the ovaries shutting down and causing me to go into menopause, this was also what she told me if I have my ovaries removed during the hysterectomy, only diffrence is one will start before surgery and is only temp. while the other menopause will be after the surgery and will be permanet. She also informed me I would have to start HRT for the hotflashes and menopausal symptoms. My last FSH was 56.9 which is high and indicating that I am closer to menopause and it would not be long before my ovaries shut down anyway and to help prevent surgery later and due to my age and symptoms she recommended the ovaries be removed. What I would like to know is other women history of surgical induced menopause, whether or not the ovaries were left in or taken out and what type of symptoms they experienced and types of therapy given to help control these symptoms. I've been doing research and trying to educate myself in RE: upcoming surgery, surgical induced menopause, ovaries out verses left in. I have also contacted a few yahoo groups (menopause) I have received alot of feedback, alot negative and some postive. Most of the women have decided not to have a hysterectomy but take the more natural approach, which I have tried but no longer helps. I would like to hear from women who have had the surgery and what they experienced. I would appreciate all feedback.
Thank You and God Bless,
Susan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-29-2004, 02:29 PM
Lupron injection

Hi Susan!

You'll find plenty of support and answers to your questions on the forum for Pre-op Hysterectomy Support. The women there will share their experiences with you.

Of course the decision to keep or not keep your ovaries is yours to make. It's better to keep a healthy organ if you can.

There are many ways to do research on this site. One is to click on Resources near the top of the page and pick a category that you'd like to explore. You can also do a search at the bottom of the main Resources page as well as on each forum with search words of your choice. Read the posted messages in any forum for more insight as to how women are handling issues after recovery.

No matter where you go on this site you'll have the friendship of lots of women who understand just what you are feeling.

s
April Dawn
Unread 06-29-2004, 04:45 PM
Lupron injection

I think your choice is very personal. Facing menopause is difficult. I had a Lupron-induced menopause to shrink my softball-sized tumors 8 years ago before my laparoscopic myomectomy. I swore that if I ever needed surgery again for this that I would go abdominal over laparoscopic if it meant ever taking Lupron again.

If you are really keen on having laparoscopic surgery, you could try the Lupron. You could probably discontinue it at any time if you had ill effects of the drug.

However, bottom line is that instant menopause can be a very drastic change. I turned into an ogre and had hot flashes and sweats continually. However, I did not have choices to pursue HRT or natural methods to relieve my discomfort because the menopause was specifically designed to shrink those tumors.

I am very glad there are choices today and I have found this group to be a very wonderful and honest resource.

My aunt had a patch immediately after her hyst. A few adjustments needed to be made, but it worked. This gave her time to explore natural options, while on the road to an emotional healing.

My upcoming surgery will spare my ovaries, but I sure remember what instant menopause was like. After my hyst, I expect to go into an earlier menopause anyway, but I guess that should be viewed as a positive part of my own recovery.

Mental state is everything. Healing, sharing and doing what it takes to pamper yourself will be important.

When my time comes once again, I will be here, crying, laughing, sharing and caring.

Take care,

Jackie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-29-2004, 04:56 PM
Lupron injection

Hi!
I was on the Lupron injection for 2 years. I was 27 years old. Put me through menopause and did help the endo stop growing. However, I am now 31 and have aching pains in my hips and I am pre-osto in my hips. That would be the only thing I would be concerned about. Even if it is for 3 months. I would suggest that your doctor do a bone density scan and see if your bones are healthy. I would then make your decision based on that.
Hope that helps and good luck!
Shannon
Unread 06-29-2004, 05:06 PM
Lupron injection

Hi Iseen your message and had to let you know about lupron, I am on my second time around on lupron, my doctor had me try lupron before my hysterectomy,it seem to make me feel worse then before, after 6months on they ended up taking my uterus out vaginally and while I was in the hospital put me back on lupron for another six months, I have had alot of side affects from the shot like my whole body hurting, I'm in bed for the first week and feel terrible, I have maybe one good week before my next shot. After all this they most likely I will be going back in to take the ovaires out. Be careful and make sure you read up on this shot because there has been alot of controversy with this shot. You may be fine but research as much as possible. I wish you the best and hope your feeling well soon.
god bless
Pam
Unread 06-29-2004, 05:09 PM
Lupron injection

I, like Shannon had problems with joints and didn't feel well. However, I was on a HUGE dose for a full six months. After 3, bones start to break down and such, so it's definately worth checking into. I was still premenopausal and young, so I could still eat calcium-rich foods and exercise to build bone. Bones can be built into your 80's, just not as quickly.

For me, an abdominal hyst would be the only way to go if I had to take Lupron again. Once again....just my humble opinion because I've been there....

Take care,

Jackie
Unread 06-29-2004, 05:14 PM
lupron, too?

Hi, my doc wants to give me Lupron for 3 mos before surgery. I go back tomorrow, so have been trying to decide. It seems to me the situation varies. Some people have awful side effects and others don't! I think I am going to try it, my uterus is huge with fibroids and the surgery will be harder if they don't shrink first. I am scared though! Dee
Unread 06-30-2004, 06:36 PM
Lupron

Hi Susan, I was on Lupron before my hysterectomy on 6-29-04. I had a bad experience with it. I had all the syptoms of menopauseand a few others like aching bones, horrible headaches which sent me to the hospital, and problems with blood pressure shooting up every time i recieved the injection. I lasted 3 months then gave it up. I ended up with the surgery anyway. The only advice I can give you is do your research and talk to your Doc. Ask lots of questions and tell your Doc. any side effects. Good luck to you.
Kim
Unread 06-30-2004, 09:46 PM
Lupron injection

Hi Susan,
I was on the lupron depot shot for three months before my surgery to shrink my fibroid. The first month I felt nothing. Still had my monthly. The second month had some night sweats. Not to bad. No monthly! Which was a blessing considering the heavy bleeding from the fibroid. The middle of the third shot I had my Hyst. So I had little side effects. Kept my ovaries and everything is back to normal. No early menopause. Although I was lucky .There are allot of side effects to this drug and you should discuss this with your doctor.

s
TVH on March 26,04 due to a largewhich was diagnoised as PEcoma
Unread 07-01-2004, 09:11 AM
Lupron injection

Hi, Susan.

I'm new to this site also, but I can definitely share my experiences with Lupron with you. I was on it for 6 months after a
scope that revealed stage 4 endometriosis. I was willing to try anything to prevent it from coming back. I did lots of research
about Lupron on the internet, but my decision to start the injections was made after my gyn., whom I trust VERY much, told me that if she was in my shoes, she would definitely do it and risk the side effects. The hot flashes were horrible and the night sweats started almost immediately and were just about unbearable! I would wake up drenched in sweat! The mood swings were horrible also. I was already on Wellbutrin and Paxil for depression and anxiety, which the psychiatrist said was directly related to my pain and fluxuating hormones, but they no longer controlled the depression or anxiety. I ended up having to alternate between Ativan and Klonopin when I was feeling really bad. But the last month of my injections, month 6, I was pretty much suicidal. I attribute all of my symptoms to the Lupron. I don't tell you this to scare you, just to let you know my experiences. As you have probably read already, some people have NO adverse effects from Lupron. I was just one of the unfortunate ones. And my doctor told me that the Lupron does cause a decrease in bone density, but it is reversible. I was told to start calcium supplements when I started the injections and continue on them afterwards.
Needless to say, even after the Lupron, and also every kind of birth control pill imaginable plus the patch, numerous laser scopes, and the Depo shot, the endo. is back and I'm scheduled for a vag. hysterectomy next Thursday, the 8th. I'm only 27 and scared to death, but I know that I've exhausted all other options to control the endo. to no avail. I'm just ready to have my life back...and I know my family is too. I hope all goes well for you if you decide to take the Lupron. Remember.....you might be one of the lucky ones that does well with it.

Take care,
Jamie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register