One week post hysterectomy: random cramps | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

One week post hysterectomy: random cramps One week post hysterectomy: random cramps

Unread 07-30-2020, 07:05 PM
One week post hysterectomy: random cramps

I am one week post surgery....

I keep having these random cramps. It feels like what I can only imagine contractions feel like. Like they are paralyzing. Seized up my back. My legs. My vagina. My stomach. Very ting just hurts. Then it stops. Then it’s comes back.

Why is this happening? What can I do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-30-2020, 07:14 PM
Re: Post Op Question

You are still early in your recovery so some pain is expected from a major surgery, however did you contact your doctor? Do you have regular BMs?
Unread 07-30-2020, 07:19 PM

I usually call her if I have questions.

Not having regular BMs. I have passed gas but not a whole lot. I’ve only had two BMs. The first one was very hard and one plop. The second was a little softer. That was Tuesday. Nothing since.

Sorry if this was TMI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-30-2020, 07:19 PM
Re: Post Op Question

I'm 20 days out from my surgery and I'm still having random pain like this. It Is getting better over time - a little better every day.
Unread 07-30-2020, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolli1970 View Post
I'm 20 days out from my surgery and I'm still having random pain like this. It Is getting better over time - a little better every day.
Ok thanks.
Unread 07-31-2020, 04:24 AM

BM issues like what you've described are commonly related to insufficient intake of fiber and fluids, so make sure you're taking in around 25-35 grams of fiber per day from a variety of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains, supplemented with a fiber supplement like Metamucil or Benefibre if you're having difficulty getting that much, accompanied by enough water so that your urine is clear or pale yellow. As for the cramping, that's commonly caused by the same prostaglandins that produced our old menstrual cramps, which are produced as a a normal part of the healing process, and end up overstimulating muscles throughout your body. Magnesium from dark chocolate, leafy greens, pumpkin seeds, quinoa, and almonds can help by relaxing your muscles, plus it's another dietary addition that can help with your bowel movements. Taking regular walks can also help with your bowel movements, plus it can help to relieve the cramping by stimulating production of endorphins, which act as a natural painkiller. Best wishes for dealing with these issues soon, and for your continued recovery!
Unread 07-31-2020, 07:08 AM
Re: One week post hysterectomy: random cramps

Our bowels tend to be wonky after surgery - anesthesia, a side effect of the meds we're on, any bowel prep we did which can empty us out, and the trauma of surgery all can contribute. It can take anywhere from 3-7 days to make the first BM. A diet with adequate fiber and magnesium aids in digestion, and be sure to drink enough water-water-water to swamp a canoe. Otherwise you're just making rocks.

Also, as Tiger_Eye mentioned, our cells release prostaglandins wherever there's inflammation, triggering digestive cramps. Be sure you're not doing too much at 1 week post op. We've got a lot of internal incisions, and recovery has to be thought of in terms of weeks rather than days - definitely not like getting over a stomach bug.

I see you'd joined us for your surgery week's Open House a few weeks ago. I'd like to invite you to connect with your Recovery Thread for women who had surgery the same week as you at Recovery Progress Reports for July 20-26. Recovery Threads are wonderful for getting support, comparing notes, encouraging others, and keeping one another company.

Unread 07-31-2020, 07:12 AM

Thanks so much for all the info.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register