Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates May 26-Jun 02,2008 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates May 26-Jun 02,2008 Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates May 26-Jun 02,2008

Unread 05-26-2008, 12:00 AM
Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates May 26-Jun 02,2008

If your hysterectomy was between May 26-Jun 02,2008 this is the place to post your progress during your hysterectomy recovery.

If you have a question about your recovery, please start a new thread to receive answers and support for your concerns!

We hope you are recovering with plenty of rest and a bit of walking.

Post how you are doing here when you are home and well enough to sit a few minutes at your computer.

Don't forget to pamper the princess, drink plenty of water and walk a bit!

How to use the Progress Report threads:
  • 1. This thread is for the purpose of your hysterectomy recovery progress report.
  • 2. Generally, ONE or TWO posts on this thread per member/per day is adequate to share your daily progress.
  • 3. Remember to start a new thread to ask your questions.
  • 4. The Progress Report threads will be moved at approximately 8 weeks post-op to the Date Club forum inside the HysterSisters clubhouse.
  • 5. Remember all the love & support you got here as a pre-op member? Now it's YOUR turn to give back to the women in Pre-Op Forum. Extend your hand and your hugs in replies to our pre-op ladies in waiting. This will complete our circle of Women Helping Women!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-28-2008, 08:27 PM
36 Hours Post-op for LAVH

Well here I am 36 hours later. It would appear that I just hyped myself out....so far...knock on wood... to a text book LAVH!

I checked in to admission at 7 a.m. on May 27th and was on a gurney in the operation holding area ay 9:30 a.m. The anesthesia Doc came in, said hello, and here is the happy juice I promised you. I remember telling him, WOW that was fast - I can already feel it. And that's the last thing I remember!!!!! Till I woke up in recovery.

I didn't hyperventilate, or cough, or cry OR swing at anyone! LOL I honesly didn't feel any pain at all!

There was a sweet sweet young boy in the recovery area with me...cupping my hand in his and telling me that everything was OK and he wasn't going to leave my side. SO SWEET, I wanted to keep him the whole darn day! Then I don't remember getting to my room!

I didn't sleep very much during the day due to the hustle and bussle of nurses checking on me, but I felt good...I even got myself out of bed to go potty NO CATHETER!

The first time I tried to P...nothing happend, but after a few more trips I was flowing just fine....and I had NO gas/shoulder pain at all! I couldn't enjoy any food.... even the jello tasted like cotton balls and the IV machine alarm went off every hour on the hour though the night, so I didn't get much sleep either!

I was released to go home at 7:30 a.m.

THANK GOD!

I had to go to the drug store to fill my script, and I over did it walking through the store waiting...now my belly is swelly. But I am wearing sweats, so that's fine! And my hand is all swollen from where the IV was...it looks so funny! It makes me laugh!

LOOOOOVED the demerol shots in the butt...
Loved the anti-nausea medication
Loved that I never had a cath...
Loved that they let me use my cell all day!
LOVED the back massage I got that night from the nurse!
I even enjoyed my room mate!
Hated the horrible cotton mouth...
Hated the IV
Hated having to stay 24 hours

REALLY Hated the nurses shift change...
That, to me, was like no one was on
the same page!

Home and feeling pretty good. It hurts a little ... but nothing horrible! No pads needed, just a tiny bit of wipe and go!

If I remember anything else I will be sure to post it...

Unread 05-30-2008, 07:56 AM
TAH- May 27th

Checked in at 5.30 am on Tuesday, got prepped for surgery which started promptly at 7.30am. All i rmember is my doc holding my hand telling me everything will be okay. Next thing I was in my room.

I my nurse and tech on tuesday were really nice. I was out most of the day from the anesthesia and dilaudid(sp). I had no nausea and minimal pain.

Day two was rough. My catheter was removed, had no issues peeing. Passed gas with no problem. However when I went to the bathroom, my tech asked me to brush my teeth.. i was soo dizzy that I passed out. Later in the day I did my walking rounds in the hospital, my doc came and released me for the next day.

I left hospital yesterday, my day was pretty good. I have my BFF here with me, she has been awesome, cooking and doing all those little awesome things. Sleeping in my bed was a real challenge. I could not find a comfortable position but I still slept well. Feels good not to wake up every ten minutes to go to the bathroom. I still have some pain so I am taking my meds religiously and taking my walks around the house. I am waiting for my 1st BM then I am good to go.

My doc told me she removed my uterus and cervix left my ovaries. She also removed my old myomectomy scar and used some kind of glue to patch me up, once the incision is healed I will have no scar. I am loving that.

So far so good.. no complaints.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-30-2008, 03:50 PM
TAH - May 27th

Hi everyone. Well it certainly wasn't as bad as I had it built up to be. Checked in at the castle at 6:45 Tuesday morning. Surgeon slept in so we started about 15 minutes late. Went into the operating room. A nurse held my hand and told me I was getting some relaxing medicine and out I went. Next think I remember they were asking me to scooch over onto my regular bed. Quite uncomfortable. I haveto admit. I had a morphine pump, which I was pushing like crazy...but he morphine made me nauseous. Hubby & kids left when my BFF arrived at 3 p.m. That's when I got quite an upset tummy. She was quick with a pan and puked there. Had the catheder overnight (they put it in when I was awake by the way) out the next day. My heart did some funky stuff while I was in surgery so I had to have a monitor on for awhile. (nothing to worry about they said) I also had a blood drain to deal with for a couple of days. I asked on Thursday that I get something else for the pain, not a narcotic and they switched me to ibuprophen...which surprisingly did a great deal of good! I came home today. The ride home was long (1 hour 35) minutes and that's set me back a bit...but I've been parked all afternoon.

I'm happy to be home. I'm happy to be off of morphine.

Oh...another interesting "side effect".....I don't feel the need to pee. The doctor was surprised....so I have to remind myself regularly to pee until (hopefully) that sensation comes back. No BM yet but lots of gas roaming through the tubes.

Thanks Sisters...you got me through the worst of it (before hand). The first day after surgery was the worst (Wednesday) but my BFF got me through it. Now it's just a slow and gentle ride. I'll reign myself in to slow down.

Okay, talk to you later.
Unread 05-30-2008, 04:51 PM

I'm home and feeling better by the minute. My doctor was able to do it laparoscopically even though it took nearly 3 hours instead of the projected 1 1/2 hours. My experience has been very positive. Every medical person that I came in contact with was super nice and understanding. My family is spoiling me rotten now that I'm home and I'm enjoying every minute of the pampering. Thanks to the wonderful articles on this site and the shared experiences of other princesses, I was prepared. I'm sore, but overall this is not so bad. If your doctor gives you a choice, definitely opt for laparoscopic.
Unread 05-30-2008, 07:56 PM

checked in a hostpial at 6am on the 28th 2008, was in surgery by 9am, was in recovery by noon and in my room my 2pm.

Spent from 2 till 6am the next day with the pain specilists trying to find a medication what would at least give me a little pain releaf, to no advail .. they were shocked that I would handle the pain without anything (like hello what choise do I have? when there is nothing that is working!!!!)

Anyhow, they did find a med that worked once and once only and it was an over dose of the med to start with and it only cut the head off of the pain for 30 min not th 6 hours or so it should have, never mind knock me out like it should have .... sighs annoyed.

Anyhow, the cathater was taken out at 630, by 7 I'd dun the deal that was needed and by 9 i'd had to make a run for the wc to have an explosion. Needless to say the nurces were shocked, yet pleased. Was dischared by 1030 and home in bed by 11am.

Spent most of the remainder of the day sleeping on and off, did 30 min at my comp for email then was back to bed resting.

Today spent most of it in bed, resting and running between the wc, as things seem in a little bit of over drive, but no more then is normal I found after surgery. Am just finishing up an hour at my comp, before heading back up to bed to rest.

Well take care
Unread 05-30-2008, 08:44 PM

had my lavh on 26th.I,m afraid to report very hard. I am still in alot of pain and was very painful afterwards.They took everything except the right ovary and I had adhesions on the bowel.Trying to stay positive but very ill and in alot of pain still.
Unread 05-31-2008, 06:37 PM
I'm In Shock!

I am completely stunned at how great i feel ... the only real pain i felt was in the recovery room, for about 10 minutes ... and wow, that toradol is stellar! i've been home about 3 hours, and bored already ... i think for me that's going to be the hardest part, really making myself sit still and take it easy. last month, my hemoglobin level was down to 7 - no wonder i'm exhausted all the time ... this morning, barely 18 hours post-op, it's up to 11 already! i have more energy now than i've had for years! hope all of you are doing great, hugs and prayers to you all!
Unread 05-31-2008, 10:57 PM

IT'S OVER! Halleleluja!

Hello Sisters! Wow, what an experience. I have to say this is by far the best medical decision I have made. My doctor was the best! No complaints about the castle. And, thank you all so much for your support. I've been involved with Hystersisters for quite some time, and recommend you all to everyone that I come in contact with!

My story starts Memorial day weekend. I was house-sitting for a dear co-worker of mine with the hopes of a stress free weekend before my surgery that was scheduled for May 28. I get to her house and her 16 year old lab is having bladder issues all over the freshly steam-cleaned light beige carpet. So much for my stress free first day. Day two brings even more surprises, as said dog has gotten into the cat food which has upset her tummy all over said carpet. Along with more puddles of pee. To top it off I can't even go sit in the jacuzzi or take a dip in the pool because it's cold and rainy in Las Vegas that weekend! Boo Hoo!

After discovering that all the carpet cleaner is gone after two sprays, I head over to Target to by more. And it seems as if the more I clean, the worse it gets. To make a long story short, I managed to get the carpet cleaned before they got home, and all is well, again. Until I use the restroom and discover I have started my period!!!

Immediately, I log on to see if anyone else has encountered this, and I find nothing... I ask my cousins who do medical transcribing and they reassured me that my surgery won't be canceled.

A few days pass by and my bleeding slows. It's now 0530 on May 28 and I'm checking into the castle. Everyone is great. I love my pre-op nurse, I feel no pain when she starts my IV. Then, one by one the OR staff come in and introduce themselves and reassure me that all will be fine. Totally put me at ease. I meet my anesthetist, we go over any concerns that I have. Then, comes in my doctor. He looks well rested, and we talk about what he plans on doing and next thing I know, I'm off to the races.

I wake up in recovery, and boy do I have cotten mouth! I feel like I've been sucking on a vacuum! Then, here come the waves of nausea! Thank God for Zofran! After I'm taken to my room, I'm allowed to have ice chips...big mistake. I threw up...and OMIGOSH...OUCH!! See, I was lucky in the fact that I didn't have any abdominal incisions. He was able to remove my uterus and cervix totally through the vagina. But, he did a posterior repair for rectocele through my anus. And, heave after heave I honestly thought I was gonna literally "blow it out my a..."

But, overall it went well. I came home yesterday, Friday. Which my surgery was Wednesday at 0700. I felt great. I am keeping on top of the pain, for the most part. I really don't feel much pain. My bleeding is very light. I had a bowel movement today...hooray!!

Thank you all, again for your support and stories. I look forward to logging on again to see how you all are doing!
Unread 05-31-2008, 11:00 PM
LAVH May 30

I'm home after a LAVH on Fri 5/30. I Went in at 10:00 a.m with surgery starting about 12:15. Was told it would take 1.5 hours but it took 4 hours. The Dr today said everything took longer than usual, longer to get the tube in, my breathing kept deteriorating everytime they inverted me in the stirrups so they had to keep tipping me back up - I had a golf ball sized fibroid right where she went in with the scope - said becuase of my belly size that the tools were not quite long enough so she had to use a log of force, sooo interesting,
She knew the size of my stomach before the surgry so I wondered why she did not make sure she had a longer trocar - maybe they only come in one size? But despite it taking long the surgery went very well. It was very difficult for me to come out of anesthesia as I was under it so long - one nurse kept saying if I didn't wake up and respond that she would have the get Narcan?? which I don't know what it is but it sounded like a threat. I was awake but felt I could not move an inch or talk - it was a very odd feeling. Besides the Narcan threatening woman everyone else was very nice and considerate. I was in the room by about 5:00 pm - The night nurse was great, kept up with morphine and nausea (phenergan) shots and answered any call promptly. Two very minor vomiting episodes despite the phenergan but not bad and I only had water in my stomach from the ice chips.

4:00 a.m. they took out the catheter - no problem and I got up to use the toilet about two hours later. My stomach is very sore - feels like I did about 200 situps, some bruises around my scope incisions from the pressure she said she had to apply and a lot of bloating but not much pain from gas. I have a "wicked witch" voice and sore throat from the tube, but ate today, scrambled eggs tasted heavenly.

Home by 1:00 p.m and been, all is going well. Everyone I speak to says this will be the best thing I have done for myself - so far so good

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register