Nausea & Adjust To Estradiol Implant | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Nausea & Adjust To Estradiol Implant Nausea & Adjust To Estradiol Implant

Unread 09-17-2021, 04:05 PM
Nausea & Adjust To Estradiol Implant

Hi, ladies. Having tried everything - and I mean EVERYTHING - over the last few years HRT wise, my NHS Menopause Consultant here in the UK has just tried a 50mg Estradiol implant with me. I've had it in for 3 days now. I have been off any HRT as I'm a severe migraineur and cannot tolerate oral estradiol, and the patches had made my skin break down badly and I just don't absorb the gel well. So - I've gone from no estrogen at all to now quite a bit, and today I'm feeling pretty rough with a lot of nausea and a headache (non migraine). I also didn't sleep a wink last night. Will this settle down, and is there a timeframe please? I don't want to bug my Consultant just yet as it's early days and we are still under tight Covid restrictions which mean that our Consultants aren't quite as available as before. Also to note: our implants here are not the compounded variety as often used in the US. We also don't prescribe progesterone to women without a uterus. Thank you so much in advance for your kind help, it's much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-21-2021, 11:05 AM
Re: Nausea & Adjust To Estradiol Implant

I'm sorry that you've had a rough time with this. We do have members who use/have used hormone pellets and hopefully they will be along to offer encouragement and to share from experience.

Going from not using estrogen to having it now would be quite a jolt and yes, it will take time for things to settle. How long that will be is anyone's guess, unfortunately. Meanwhile, you may want to keep a written journal of any symptoms that you are experiencing. Not only will it give you a clear picture of how you're doing over time but it can be a valuable tool for your consultant to figure out what, if any, changes can help you feel better going forward.

It's my understanding that once a pellet is put in place it can't be removed. You may want to try natural treatments for nausea, such as ginger tea. Regular over the counter medications for headaches may help with that pain. Don't hesitate to call your consultant for guidance.

Unread 09-21-2021, 02:29 PM

Thank you so much for your kind and thoughtful reply, April Dawn. It's really appreciated! I spoke to my Consultant today and it transpires I should have been given a 25mg implant to start as I'm so sensitive to hormonal changes with my migraines, but the nurse mistakenly implanted a 50mg. To say I'm not happy is an understatement! Before Covid, our NHS implant clinic was overseen by a Consultant at all times. Obviously something has gone wrong here and i'll be taking it to our NHS complaints department as this has been horrible to deal with and still isn't settling down. I guess I'm just going to have to ride it out for around 5 months though, as you say. Thank you too for the tips for nausea, I'm finding ginger tea a bit of a help so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-21-2021, 02:43 PM

I'm so sorry that happened! If it were a pill, patch or any other method of delivery it wouldn't be much of a problem but goodness...they should be more careful! Maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones who "burns" through the pellet quickly and then you won't be miserable for as long. That's not really much consolation.

I'm glad that ginger tea is helping.

Unread 09-21-2021, 02:59 PM

I'm really hoping that's the case with burning through it quickly too! I'm speaking with the Consultant again by phone tomorrow when I will point out that there were a few alarm bells at my appointment. The nurse seemed very flustered and was running very late - my appointment was 90 minutes over the time. She explained that her clinic had been overbooked, and that she wasn't being given enough time she felt between patients to deal with sanitising her treatment area etc. I have concluded that working under such pressure was probably why she made a mistake, although she should have matched the implant to the prescription - that simple check is something that really shouldn't have been missed.

I will never get another implant after this, not even at the lower dose. I prefer to have more control as you quite rightly point out rhat you can with a patch, gel or pill.

You've really been very kind, April Dawn - thank you so much.
Unread 09-21-2021, 03:12 PM

You are so welcome! I do hope that someone with actual experience will chime in with reassurance. There are women who do really well on the pellets but like with any method of delivery, it can take time to figure out the right dose. It's unfortunate that your first experience with the pellet wasn't what it should/could have been. I'm sure the nurse was flustered but of all the protocols of the job, I would think getting the prescription right would rank first over everything else.

Do you think you'll try another method of delivery or will you try going without estrogen?
Unread 09-24-2021, 05:30 PM

I think having spoken to the Consultant again that I will see what happens when this implant runs low, April Dawn. She says she will help in whatever way she can when that happens, which is reassuring. I've told her that's it's unlikely that I would take her up on the offer of a lower 25mg implant, and she says she fully understands. She thinks by about the 4 month mark that this one will be well on the downward trajectory by then. She aays that usually the first implant tends to run out faster than any subsequent ones. I haven't had a lot of luck with HRT to put it mildly, and I have had a full cardiac workup and a DEXA recently which shows all is very well in both the heart and bone department, which is reassuring. If I move on to anything after this, I should like to try for a fairly low dose just to maintain bone and hopefully help with any other issues, plus adding vaginal estrogen and keeping up with my weight bearing exercise.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register