60 yr old due for hyster.. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

60 yr old due for hyster.. 60 yr old due for hyster..

Unread 03-15-2004, 07:13 PM
60 yr old due for hyster..

Hi everyone, this is a wonderful site I am glad I found it. I have been reading the posts and thoroughly enjoy them all.
I am sixty and just found out I need a hyster....due to excessive fibroids and a large polyp, plus had prolapsed uterus which has caused some problems. No surgery date set yet, will do that in a day or two, I am still digesting all of this and at my age it takes time to digest!! (grin) Anyway, any others in my age or I could use some sage advice here.

Thanks!

Joy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-15-2004, 07:59 PM

Hi Joy,

Welcome to Hyster Sisters from a 58-year old. I was 55 when I had my surgery, and wasn't lucky enough to find HS until just the night before my hyst, when I was very nervous and frightened. I'll be glad to answer any questions that I can.

I'm not sure how much you have read yet, but be sure to read the Pre-Op Hints and the Post-Op Hints. They are full of great advice that will help you to prepare for your surgery and recovery.

I was going through menopause when I had my hyst, but my ovaries were healthy and so my doctor left them in, because even though they don't put out as many hormones as they did when I was younger, they do still secrete some, and that's just that much less that I have to replace with ERT.

Please continue to read, research and post. We'll do our best to help.

S
Unread 03-15-2004, 08:27 PM

Well I was born in 1950. So you are just six years older than me. I had fibroids too, and some other stuff. One of which could have been a cancer. So I had surgery in January. Everything turned out fine. I did not keep my ovaries. This was the first surgery I have ever had and I was over emotional about it. Bookfairy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-15-2004, 10:59 PM
hyster for 60yr old

I hope I am doing this right........it looks like I am posting to my own message, so if it does, Karen this is for you.........
And thank you Karen for the response. This all came about kind of sudden although I knew I had fibroids but not as many and not about the polyp, thankfully I found a good doctor out of all of this too.
I have been reading just about everything on this site and am taking it all in, so I will be at least half prepared. Although I doubt if any of us are really prepared for surgery no matter what kind it is.
There will be nothing left after I have mine and I never went on hormones either.
Tell me did you use the swelly belly? I would think that would be very useful and am contemplating getting it.
Tomorrow I am calling to schedule the surgery so am anxious.

Thanks again.

Joy
Unread 03-16-2004, 01:08 AM

I think it depends on your incision line. Mine was vertical...from my belly button to pubic hair. I used a binder which they ordered at the hospital. It is an elastic band with velcro to fit around you to keep things snug. I did not get the swelly belly band from here. Bookfairy
Unread 03-16-2004, 01:18 AM

HI Im much younge than you are when I had mine .. Im just 6.5 weeks post Op and want t o welcome you to the forum

mei
Unread 03-16-2004, 04:48 AM

Hi

I was 59 when I had my surgery three years ago. Had an extended vertical incision due to suspected cancer. I was plenty sore, believe me, but no extra problems

I did not use a belly binder and would have found it very uncomfortable. Swelly belly was not an inssue with me. However, as I healed I used a body briefer for support and continue to this day. Don't know about you, but a few things have headed south on me!

As for preparation, the wisdom and acceptance that comes with age is pretty darned helpful.
Unread 03-16-2004, 05:40 AM

Joy,

I'm 54 and just had my TAH on the 10th. Although I knew I had a fibroid finding out I needed this surgery was a bolt out of the blue. I was a complete, total basket case! I got 3 opinions and used this site constantly. It is a scary thing but we are here to offer whatever support we can.
Unread 03-16-2004, 12:30 PM
5weeks out

Hello
I am here to tell you I was a freaking mess, so scared. I am 61 and my 2 daughters had all they could handle. I was scared of being put to sleep. Not the surgery. I had wonderful DRs. They really understood and took care of me. I wanted to see my DDs first thing , when I came around and they took my back to my room instead of recovery so I would awake to see my girls. I did and also had a cath that was so uncomfortable. Kept that for a week. Was so glad to get rid of that thing!!! Be sure they give you something to keep your bowels moving!!! I got very impacted almost ended in hospital after being home a couple of days . This was worse than the surgery. Surgery is painful but not something you can't handle with the meds. I went through a very bad time emotioally around 2 weeks. Not due to any thing in patictular. Cried a lot!!! felt left alone and unwanted. None of it was true. The shock and hormonies are going wild. You go home with some good meds for pain. I just took it easy real easy walked around house and around and around. Now hate house going to redecorate. Ha Ha. I feel really good , somedays You feel tired and you rest. I am driving to grocery for light things. Driving is still sort of hard for me holding brake seems to strain things. My main soapbox is keep those bowels moving. Please don't get scared it is not so very bad. Time does go by so swiftly you will be on other side before you know it. Have lots of easy prepared food,drink lots of water,walk as much as you are comfortabe doing, and for heavens sake call your DR. the min you are worried about something thats what we are paying them for. I read so may sisters, that say they don't want to bother or they are embarresed to call . Thats a NO NO. I belive in getting help when we need it. Your going to do great, you have so much support on this site. And so many prayers you can not fail. We are here so keep in touch
love and huggs
bling-bling

d
Unread 03-16-2004, 07:32 PM

Hi ((( Joy )))

Yes, you did it right!! I got an e-mail notification that there was a reply to this thread when I checked my e-mails tonight after work. Did your doctor give you your date when you called today? Don't forget to add it to your profile when you have a chance.

Since I had a vaginal hyst, I didn't have an external incision, and didn't use any kind of abdominal band (in fact HS didn't offer one through the store until fairly recently), but I still did have a swelly belly, and it's said to help reduce that, too.

I'm really glad that you found HS, and hope that it is helping.

S

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register