VH & Bladder Sling | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

VH & Bladder Sling VH & Bladder Sling

Unread 12-18-2008, 07:49 AM
VH & Bladder Sling

I just recently got to this forum courtesy of my GYN. I had not had my annual in over 5 years (yes, shame on me) and found that my uterus is prolapsed. While most uteruses are prolapsed in one direction (I believe he said frontal fall) mine is in the opposite direction which is cause for more intense pain.

During the visit/exam, I found out that my bladder is also falling, so a bladder sling will be done at the same time. I believe he said a teflon sling? Anyone have this used on them?

Just this past September, I had to have my gall bladder removed as it was only operating at 23% and that was a painful one. During the operation, the general surgeon noticed that my right ovary was a "different color" than my left and he brought in a GYN on duty to look at it. Evidently, this GYN was not concerned enough to tell the GS to take it out... the GS was looking for endometriosis.

Now, while I chose my new GYN because of his reputation, I also chose him due to the fact that he does uterine ablasion. To my surprise, ablasion won't work for me as I have to have the uterus removed...or rather, SHOULD have it removed. My periods have changed so that I don't know if they will be heavy, when the migraine will begin, how long it will be or if it will be light.

I was told this would be a vaginal hysterectomy of the uterus and a sling for the bladder but that he won't know much about the ovaries until he is in there. I have had issues with my periods all my life, have had multiple small recurring cysts on both ovaries, but had two cysts combining a 3cm cyst on the right ovary back about 4 years which disappeared in 6 months.

The entire female side of my family has either had a partial or total hysterectomy. My mother had hers at 33 when her uterus was so prolapsed that if it did not come out, it could have ruptured and she could have bled to death.

I have so many other issues that they are too numerous to mention but would like to hear from others about VH, bladder slings (especially teflon, if I heard him correctly), medications for sedation if you were totally naseauous, healing time and sex after a VH. I am totally looking for a HysterSister. Anywhere will do, but if you are near the Big Country in Texas, that would be awesome!

All my best to those of you with upcoming surgeries!

my-familiar1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-18-2008, 01:38 PM
VH & Bladder Sling

and

We're happy you joined us as you begin this journey and we're always here to offer our experiences, support and lots of s.

I didn't have a bladder sling done at the time of my TVH, but there are a lot women around here who did and hopefully, someone will be along soon to share their story with you.

My TVH (total vaginal hysterectomy) was in 2004 and it went very well. It was the right decision for me. I am one of those who gets sick from pain meds and anesthesia. I didn't use my PCA morphine pump, but I did get sick from the anesthesia and was given IV meds for that. It helped. My initial recovery was 6 weeks and I just took it easy and followed my doctor's instructions for my post-op care. My intimate life with my DH is going well and for both of us, it's actually better. I'm not the norm and some women do have some issues in that department but talking openly and honestly with your doctor can sometimes help.

Welcome again! Please make yourself at home and wander around the site. There is a wealth of information and support available to you here!

Deb
Unread 12-19-2008, 03:45 AM
VH & Bladder Sling

Hello, m-f 1--

We're glad you found us. I'm sorry you have to undergo yet another surgery, though. It's never really fun to contemplate that, is it? Still, it helps to know other people who've gone through it.

I had an anterior bladder sling done with polypropylene mesh at the same time as my vaginal hysterectomy in 2005. I haven't heard of teflon being used in slings at all, however. I think it would be really unusual if it was. The mesh itself can be fairly abrasive enough and it's only 'plastic'. Though most people don't have problems with it, there is a very real risk of erosion in using it. The FDA put out a warning about this issue this past October. You can read about it here. I was one of those unfortunate people who had the erosion and had to have the mesh removed. I will also never had artificial mesh put in me again.

If it were me, I'd ask my doctor about what exactly he plans to do. The more information you have, the better prepared you can be. As far as the nausea, I've told my doctors and they give me meds right before surgery to help stop me from being sick each and every time. It has helped tremendously. I don't get sick. I also make sure I do the fasting before surgery and all the (stupid) bowel preps. I HATE and UTTERLY despise the bowel preps, though. They make me feel sicker than the surgeries. To me they have been the worst part. Bah Humbug on them! Still, I know they help so I do them.

Also, I sympathize with you on the ovarian cysts. I've had them and they are painful! Ouch! My most recent surgery removed my right ovary and I do believe since then I've felt them on my left ovary since then. Sheesh. These things can be such a curse. I'm glad they resolve but I wish they never occurred in the first place.

The healing time after having surgery for sling and each time for any removal of it has usually been about 6 weeks. I've always had lifting restrictions for these times, too. My most extensive surgery required that I not lift anything heavier than the TV remote for 10 days and not drive at all for about 2 weeks. Then I was allowed to lift about 8 pounds or the weight of a gallon of milk. Gradually about 2 pounds a week was added until I reached a maximum of about 20-25 pounds for life.

The 25 pound weight limit is to maintain the repairs that have been done and not cause further prolapse. You'll have to ask your doctor about your own possible limits.

Hope this helps. You can do a search on the Hyster Sisters site by going to the Google Search bar at the top right corner of most pages in the blue rectangle. Type in whatever terms you are looking for--for instance 'bladder sling' 'lifting restrictions' or something like that and you will get a list of posts that have discussed such things here on the site.

Sending you many positive vibes..........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-19-2008, 07:28 AM
VH & Bladder Sling

OrahDeb and Crossfire,
I want to thank you both for your kind words and sharing your history. I was a big baby when I had the gall bladder surgery, but never had been worried before! I told the GS that I would be back before a year was up for yet another abdominal surgery, and am right!
I have had mesh for the hernia repair done in 01 (the second one) and have not had one issue aside from itching in the beginning while healing.
I also had the nausea meds before and after the surgery but it took a LOT of it. Wish I knew what was used when I had my augmentation done! Did not get sick at all!
Anyway, I thank my GYN for giving me the name of this site and I thank God, or whatever higher diety(s), for all of you!
my-familiar1

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register