Scheduled TAH Flying a week after TAH, any advise? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Flying a week after TAH, any advise? Flying a week after TAH, any advise?

Unread 04-27-2011, 02:49 AM
Flying a week after TAH, any advise?

My TAH is scheduled for May 11th. I live in a rural area and need to fly 2 hrs to a large city hospital for the surgery. When i asked my gyn. when i would be ok to fly home she said a week post op should be good. I will be staying in a hotel so i hope it won't be longer as its very expensive.

Does anyone have any tips or hints on flying so soon after surgery? My incision will be vertical from belly button to pubic bone as i've had previous bowel surgery, so it will be extensive. I remember what i was like after that surgery and cannot imagine how i am going to fly..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-27-2011, 09:02 AM
Re: Flying a week after TAH, any advise?

JMHO, but one week after surgery I wasn't able to sit upright at all, I slept in the recliner and getting up was a major production, I was still taking percocet (but not as heavily or as often), taking a shower exhausted me for the rest of the day, hobbled to the bathroom. I think you get the picture.

Are you having someone fly with you? You will need someone who will be responsible for helping you. Put them in charge of ALL the details. You will not be in any condition to remember everything.

Do NOT carry your own luggage. Dress in comfy, loose clothes: bring a pillow for your tummy so the seatbelt doesn't rest on your incision; reclline in the seat as soon as you can; get an aisle seat and close to the bathroom; let everyone else get off the plane first; have a wheelchair ready when you get off the plane, you won't feel like walking and when you get home, take your pain meds and let yourself rest, relax and SLEEP.
Unread 04-27-2011, 11:52 AM

Thanks for your reply. I know it's not an ideal situation but it's the one i'm in. Whilst i think flying at that time will be horrible, i will be glad to be home in my own bed and out of a hotel room.
My husband will be flying with me so he can do all the carrying etc and i will be requesting a wheelchair through the terminal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-27-2011, 12:25 PM

Wow! I can not even imagine being able to sit upright at 1 week post op. Will pray for special mercy and grace on you as you head home.

Do not lift anything....Do not carry anything....Sit/Rest as much as you can...and yes, a wheelchair will be absolutely necessary and on the flight you will want to keep a pillow around your belly I am sure...

You might can inform your airlines of your situation and see if you can board the plane early and exit last?.....

One other thing...Take your pain meds before you head to the airport and keep them handy in case you need to dose up in flight....also, you might want to keep something for nausea around, if you are prone to motion sickness....
Unread 04-27-2011, 12:28 PM

Do you know if you will still have staples in at this point? Another concern would be clearing TSA. The staples may set off the x-ray which would require a pat down. I would HATE to be patted down on a fresh surgical incision. Maybe you could also have a note from your doctor for TSA.
Unread 04-27-2011, 01:15 PM

Another concern would be blood clots. Be sure to keep hydrated and do leg/ankle exercises while sitting.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register