Hysterectomy dates Aug 20-Aug 27,2007 - Page 13 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Aug 20-Aug 27,2007 Hysterectomy dates Aug 20-Aug 27,2007

Unread 09-01-2007, 06:52 PM
Hysterectomy dates Aug 20-Aug 27,2007

Bobbi63 & Creshaunda,
Keep the Faith, ladies. It's a longer "row to hoe" than any of realized but I KNOW it will all be worth in the end. Glad that you two got attention for the problems and are getting back on track with your recovery. Me? I'm the "lets just watch it for a bit" type that gets in over head after waiting too long. Once they had to take me down the Amazon in a canoe in the middle of the night cause what I thought was "just travellers gut" turned into septic shock.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-01-2007, 07:32 PM

Thanks for the thoughts! Yeah, I'm the kind too that will usually wait and see until it gets too bad but with this surgery, I'm trying to be very careful and not do anything that would set back the recovery process. Stay well everyone!
Unread 09-01-2007, 07:51 PM
Post op day 11.

Today was a very blah day. I think I overdid it a bit yesterday. And, I couldn't sleep last night. Didn't doze off until after 5am. I just went and soaked in the shower and put on a clean, comfy nightie - feel much better.

Was anyone out there closed up with just steri-strips (no staples)? If so, how long did they stay on? The nurse that discharged me was rather vague about that. She said they'd start to curl up and I could trim them. They really haven't started curling, but I helped them along tonight and trimmed some off. They're still covering my incision, though. Just wondered if they'd eventually fall off - or if I should pull them off, and if so when??

Thanks all. Feel well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-01-2007, 08:34 PM
OK Day

Slept 'til 6:00, went back to sleep 'til 9:00, got up showered, ate breakfast, fixed my hair, made plans to ride down to laundry room to do a small load of laundry (never got done btw), got mail and took phone calls. Power napped at 2:00. Slow walked a block to check on car; felt proud of myself and it was nice to get out. It's beautiful in Chicago this weekend.

Sweet co-worker is setting up my classroom and called me to tell me about the condition of the room. Said I might be honkerblonked when I get back. I just laughed because it's just not a priority right now. I do like a neat classroom though.

Anyway, I'm seriously contemplating extending my leave two more weeks and I'll decide by Tuesday. I know what my body is supposed to feel like even if it's not 100% and though I'm healing, 2 weeks is not going to do it.

Will try again with the laundry tomorrow.
Unread 09-01-2007, 08:40 PM

Hi, I too had a TAH on 8/21 with steri strips covering the incision. Please don't take them off yourself. They should do that for you at your 2 week visit with your doctor. Mine are curling up at the edge too, but it is important to keep them on and not expose your incision yet. Let me know how you progress during your recovery.
Unread 09-01-2007, 08:40 PM

Hi Ann, The Steri-strips do start to fall off. I had staples and four days after the Dr. removed them and covered the insision with the strips. They began to fall off Thurs. after a shower. More fell off today. I looked for some in the store no luck, my neighbor is an OB/Nurse and she said she would bring some home. My insions is very itchy and it is the same one used for my three c-sections but this time it looks very very puffy if it is not feeling better by monday I am going to call the Dr. opps Tues.
Unread 09-01-2007, 09:12 PM

Ltrotta and Mytime, thanks for the info. My first appointment back w/ the doc isn't until just shy of 6 weeks, so I feel certain the strips will come off by themselves by that time. I think I'll just keep an eye on the site and call the doc if anything looks odd. My incision is still puffy, but that seems to be normal.

Good luck to you both!!
Unread 09-01-2007, 10:09 PM

I got home from the castle on Wednesday. I didn't have any bad episodes while there. The surgery was half hour longer than anticipated because of wrangling my bag of oranges out. The pain wasn't as bad as I thought it might be. Friends of mine knew I was in good shape when I said I was hungry Tuesday a.m. Still no problem in that department, but did keep the food simple. I got my staples out Friday without incident. I will admit getting the pipes working hasn't been fun, but the Gas X has been a big help. So far the Drs. have been pleased with my progress and so have I.
Unread 09-01-2007, 11:14 PM

Wow Ann, I can't believe you don't see your Doc until 6 weeks--obviously the strips will come off before then . I am a nurse although not in the gyn field, but I do know that stitches/staples etc. on the body (not face) usually stay in at least 10-14 days before we take them out to allow for healing. So just see if you can make it as close as possible so your incision is well healed--gets to be a big bummer when the incision comes open. My strips come off on Wednesday which is a little over two weeks after my surg. Take good care and happy recovery.
Lisa
Unread 09-02-2007, 04:07 AM

Glad ppl are healing well.Sorry for those who have had minor setbacks.Rest up and all will be okay in the end.
I'm home a week today.I'm in Ireland and we don't have a post op check till 6 weeks either.I had beads instead of staples and had them removed last Tuesday.Should have said I had a TAH on Thursday 8/23.Feel okay but sore at times.the itch has started to kick in.
My 3 kids start back at school tomorrow and I'll have to walk them there and back.It's only 10 mins so should manage fine.Plenty of rest while they are there is the plan.
How is everyone else fairing with chores?My Dh has been home for the past week and has been great but I feel bad letting him do stuff so have fixed a few dinners and that's about it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register