Hysterectomy dates Sep 10-Sep 17,2007 - Page 9 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Sep 10-Sep 17,2007 Hysterectomy dates Sep 10-Sep 17,2007

Unread 09-23-2007, 05:39 AM
Hysterectomy dates Sep 10-Sep 17,2007

Hi ladies,
I am ten days post-op now. I am still moving a little slow, but much improved. I still have a pulling sensation at the site of the staples (all 36 were taken out one week post-op), especially when I begin to sit down or stand up, it feels like pulling.

My worst nightmare has been the gas pains. They are becoming less and less, but the first few days home from the hospital they were so bad it brought tears to my eyes. I was up walking from the next day after surgery in the hospital, so sometimes even walking right away does not do it for everyone. I have not had any problems with BM's, and that is gradually returning back to normal.

To poohdivams, when I first got home I was hurting because of gas and constipation. I started taking stool softenenrs in the hospital and purchased some at the drug store and have continued to take those. I also ate prunes, made fiber shakes, and increased my water intake, which all seemed to help. The vicodin I was sent home with also makes me constipated, so about day six or seven I switched to Ibuprofen during the day and pain meds only at night. Now at ten days out I am pretty much only on Ibuprofen. I think getting off the Vicodin helped unstop me a little. Continue to eat fruit, I put mine in my fiber shake and that helps.

I continue to have good days and bad days. The day after I got my staples out I was wiped out, from making the trip, sitting in the doctors office, traveling and just overall a feeling of tiredness and very sore.

I am still sore in the muscle area and notice it especially trying to roll on my side myself. I still request a little help as I sit and stand, but for the most part I believe I am recovering okay. I think my biggest problem is now that I am feeling a bit better, I am getting bored and looking for things to do. I have probably already lifted more than I am supposed to, and I have already dust mopped my hardwood floors, but slowly. So, I have to tell myself that there are stitches on the inside that I cannot see, and I really do not want to mess those up.

So, as we all continue to recover, remind ourselves that we want to recover the best way, and not have any complications, so do as the doc says. I see mine again in two weeks.

Oh, I still ache on the right side, kind of where an ovary would be. It is sensitive to the touch and on the inside just feels like a gaping hole is there. It is definitely more sensitive than the left side, so that is something I need to ask about in two weeks.

I have worn my swelly belly band and found it very helpful the first few days home. Sometimes when I feel like I have overdone it, I put it on and it stabilizes everything and reminds me to slow down a bit.

This site has also been sooo helpful, and provided many ideas and suggestions, pre-op as well as now that I am ten days out. Best wishes to you all as you rest and recover.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-23-2007, 10:07 AM

Hi I am new to this. I had op on 12 Sept and was doing fine until 4 days later got internal infection, ending up being in hospital 9 days. On day of release had the sensation of trickling inside phoned dr, but he said it was probably body fluid. I am not in any pain apart from the corners of the horizontal cut which stings when I move sometimes. The last two days had a discharge which is brown and smells of meat YUK! Any advice? Otherwize feeling ok. Food tastes different, but very similar to when I had a burst appendix two years ago. I went off chocolate and unhealthy foods - guess listen to your body is my advice. Beverley
Unread 09-23-2007, 10:17 AM

Just noticed your comment about back pain, it sounds similar to the pain I had after my apendix I thought I had pulled a muscle in my back and it hurt to lay flat. Turned out to be an infection in lower part of lung. If it doesn't get better best mentioning it to dr. It has been 12 days since my op, i was doing well until I got an internal infection which has now cleared up. Just stinging pain in corners of horizontal wound when I move and a brown discharge, think I will mention to drs on Monday. All the best. Beverley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-23-2007, 06:22 PM

Hello all. I had my TVH on Sept 10, so I am 13 days post-op. I am still very tired, still have a TON of low back pain, still have stabbing pains in my low right and left side where ovaries would be I suppose, but my right ovary was removed almost 3 years ago.

I go for my first post-op on Weds. to find out if I can go back to work. Many people that I've talked to are surprised that I could go back to work after only 2 weeks. Is this OK after a vag hyst? I am an administrative Assistant for our city's police department, so I'm sitting mostly. My low back pain is worse while sitting though, so I'm worried that I won't make it. I'm also an EMT with our hospital, but I've told them it would be 6-8 weeks before I'd be back there. Mostly, I worried about not being able to sit for any length of time. I have a laptop here, so I can lay and type!
Unread 09-23-2007, 06:40 PM

Hello, I also still have the low back pain (why do we have that?) stabbing pains on the sides stopped but still have the spotting. My 2 week post op is tues. The doc had said to come in tomorrow if the bleeding was still going on, but since it has slowed down I many wait till tues so my hubby can come with me. He will be out of town tomorrow.
Unread 09-23-2007, 08:34 PM

I too went grocery shopping yesterday and couldnt believe how it wiped me out. Felt like I had been on a marathon shopping day. My friend took me and said when we checked out my face had turned and yucky gray! Went home and crashed. That was a lesson for me...I took it easy today for sure. It is so hard to sit still but my body sure let me know I needed to SLOW way down. Headaches have subsided now so that is a plus. Just using Motrin. Take care everyone and thanks for sharing your journey.
Unread 09-23-2007, 08:35 PM
me 2

i 2 have major back pain after 2 weeks of surgery and a very swollen belly i drink tons of water and am physicaly fit wonder what the sollution is? i see my doc on tues also my surgery was sep 12 2007
Unread 09-23-2007, 08:53 PM

From what I understand, after youve had this surgery the ovaries have to kinda reboot to push out the hormones appropriately again. I too have night sweats, and feel tired easily. I havent gone back to work since I had abdominal and I wouldnt be much help at work any how. I am also sick of being tired and not having as much energy as usual. I still cant sleep well at night. The pain is worse at night and vicodin makes me nauseated. Since it also makes me drowsy, I take it at night sometimes just to try to sleep better.My problem is that I am home and recovering and I get tired to easily to do anything very long or I cant do what I want to because its too strenuous. That's also driving me nuts.
Unread 09-23-2007, 08:56 PM

suyed your messagen flower enjo
Unread 09-23-2007, 09:48 PM
10 days

I am ten days post op. TAH-BSO on September 14th. Fibroids in uterus, stage 4 endometriosis, ovarian cysts and heavy bleeding/painful menstrual cramping.

I didn't have any problems with constipation as I anticipated; I am very thankful for that. The gas pains have lessened over the past few days, but are still pretty painful. For the most part, I haven't had to rely on pain meds until yesterday. Ibuprofen pretty much took care of the minor pains I experienced. Since yesterday I have felt a lot tightness and pulling. I am taking Darvocet for the pain and it seems to be helping.

I think I have been doing a bit too much because I didn't have much pain for the first week. I do have a large numb area around my incision that my doctor says should gradually improve. I'm not sure that it will regain sensitivity, but I am hopeful.

I am 41 and have never been able to conceive, so this has been pretty hard on me emotionally. My family has been very supportive and here for me whenever I need.

This website has been extremely informative and has helped me prepare for surgery and life afterwards.

So far, I haven't had any hot flashes or night sweats. (I'm knocking on my desk!!)

~Lynn~

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register