Hysterectomy dates Nov 05-Nov 12,2007 - Page 12 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Nov 05-Nov 12,2007 Hysterectomy dates Nov 05-Nov 12,2007

Unread 11-15-2007, 09:03 PM
Hysterectomy dates Nov 05-Nov 12,2007

CAmich,

My dr. told me that I could drive when I could stomp on the brakes hard and not have any pain. I took my first road trip today as a passenger and am still having trouble getting in and out of the car and the seat belt is a little irritating on my incisions. I am thinking that it will be another 7-10 days until I can drive. This puts me at the 2-3 week point, which is what I am reading in several other posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-15-2007, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAmich
I drove the first time today. It hurt and I didn't drive too far or too long. My doctor's partner told me it was okay to drive at one week, but I've been reading that most everyone else was told to wait until 2 weeks, so I hope she didn't give me bad advice. My husband doesn't want me to drive again until I hit the 2-week mark because he thinks I'm still too weak. I also made it to Target, if only to pick up a pain prescription, some Advil, and some Aleve. My husband has been working from home because he doesn't think I'm ready to fly solo yet. He is probably right. I told him I would pick up DD from school today and then subsequently fell asleep for 2 hours! Could not wake up for anything. I guess it's a good thing he was home and went to get her. I tried to make it today without any pain pills. My doctor's partner told me I should still be taking them, but I just want to stop taking them as soon as possible. I'm tired of feeling dizzy and looped. The Aleve was a bad mistake because I ended up trying to keep from vomiting and narrowly avoided doing so (that would have hurt!). I guess I'll try Advil tomorrow. I also cooked dinner for the first time. I still feel like I could go to bed at 6:30 even with a nap, although I usually can't fall asleep once I'm in bed because I'm uncomfortable. Getting a little worried because I continue to have night sweats every night and hot flashes during the day. When are my ovaries going to return to normal (or worse yet, what if they don't)? On the bright side, I don't seem to have any bowel issues. I'll count my blessings on that one! Good luck to those of you still battling the BM. I'm rooting for you! Have a great evening everyone!
please remember that you are a very short time out from your surgery and that your body needs to heal.Don't try to be super woman and tuff it out with just advil.your body can't heal if it is in pain and once you loose controll over your pain it will be twice as hard to manage it again.I would listen to your docs partner and cont. taking the pain meds.If they make you dizzy and lightheaded you could call your doc and see if you could get a differnt perscrpition.I am not trying to sound motherly here but i don't want anybody having any set backs.Hugs
Unread 11-16-2007, 04:45 AM

CAmish:

I'm a little surprised that a doc would suggest driving while at the same time telling you that you should still be taking your pain meds. I don't know about yours, but mine has a big yellow sticker on the bottle that says "Do not drive or operate heavy machinary while taking this medication." And I can say, I would not feel safe behind the wheel while on them!

That being said, over and above listening to the doc, you HAVE to listen to your body. If the doc says 1 week or 2 (and I've never heard of a doc saying 1 week to drive BTW), if your body isn't ready, then wait!! And that goes for all of the restrictions. My 10 pound weight lifting restriction is up this coming Monday. I won't be running around the house lifting things like crazy just because it is. I will gradually try things and if my body says, "Oops, that didn't feel too good." then I will listen and not try that again for a while.

There are so many sad stories here from women who did things too soon and paid for it with longer recovery and/or more surgery. Please just take it easy and go slow!!

And like someone else said, I'm not trying to be a mom here, just concerned when I hear about someone maybe doing too much too soon. It will all be waiting for us when we're well, so just enjoy being the "princess" as long as you can!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-16-2007, 05:17 AM

A week out and I'm STILL all swelled up...almost like it hasn't gone down at all. Very frustrating.

And when I get up in the morning, I am SO sore and stiff I can hardly move....is that normal? Gotta do a search on that.....
Unread 11-16-2007, 06:18 AM

Stacy68, maybe you are sore and stiff in the morning because unconciously you are bracing your body against pain, even when you are sleeping. I'm probably wrong but it's just an idea.
Unread 11-16-2007, 06:31 AM

You could very well be right. Another thing is is that I'm used to sleeping on my left side...but I've been forcing myself to sleep on my back because (it seems to me anyway) that my incision is kind of "poofing" out on top and I thought maybe, if I try to keep pressure off of it, it wouldn't "poof" so bad.
Unread 11-16-2007, 06:37 AM

About driving, I asked my doctor's nurse yesterday and she said that I should be able to sit in the driver's seat and check my blind spots without any pulling or pain on my abdomen. She said that they recommend at least 2 weeks. I notice this morning that I am totally out of ibuprofen and don't want to go back to the stronger pain meds so I will have to go out today. Going in for my doctor appointment yesterday wore me out...and I didn't drive! I'm amazed at how this surgery knocks you off your game for so long! Note to Sissel..that's so great to hear your bladder is sealed! What a trial for you! Wish everyone a good day! Jo
Unread 11-16-2007, 06:50 AM

tnt1970 You say that your 10lb weight restriction is up this coming Monday?? Your profile says you were just operated on November 7th? I was told no lifting for 6-8 weeks so this has me a bit puzzled. Are you sure about this?
As for puffiness, well I feel like a beach ball and I'm not even at the beach. Especially in the evenings it swells so much. I am more sore in the mornings when I get up but this tends to leave as I move around a bit more.
Unread 11-16-2007, 07:16 AM

morning ladies on the driving I drove to town yesterday but am off prescription meds and have been awhile. I owuld not drive to city yet but 7 minutes to town and back I am fine. Actually I to am out of ibuprofin and that is what helps me for swelling even though I am not in pain.
I go back to work at 6 weeks but I cut flowers on benches that come to me. I will not fix any benches that derail and will keep my bundles small and light.

Hope you all have a great day. rest lots, walk lots, sleep lots and be the good princesses we should be
Unread 11-16-2007, 08:05 AM

Well, I drove for the 1st time yesterday--how liberating! (I haven't had any pain medication since 11-8 so I wasn't feeling woozie or anything.) Pre-surgery, I took walks around different grocery stores daily pushing a cart (have back problems) and I wanted to try and resume that. I tried to go very slowly, not lift anything heavy, but I was really tired last night from that trip ---but most of the discomfort/pain was in my back, just like pre-surgery. One problem is that my car is a 5 speed and working the clutch is really tiring. But I'm OK this morning. Going out to lunch with my daughter, grandbaby, and niece, and they're driving---that's good!

Good healing to all my sisters out there!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register