Hysterectomy dates Nov 05-Nov 12,2007 - Page 7 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Nov 05-Nov 12,2007 Hysterectomy dates Nov 05-Nov 12,2007

Unread 11-13-2007, 08:44 AM
Hysterectomy dates Nov 05-Nov 12,2007

I wish I could say I'm doing better (LAVH and bladder sling 11/5/07) I guess the hysterectomy was fine - I'm no longer taking pain pills but just Ibruprofen. Unfortunately, I am still having floods of urine coming out of the incision where the supra-pubic catheter was. I just had it removed yesterday because of the leak. I went in Friday and they had me using the strap to the leg bag thinking it would help the incision seal up. Didn't work.
Yesterday they removed it and said self-catherization would probably work to seal it. Not working either! Every time I get the urge to pee I sit on the toilet and a stream starts but as soon as that happens the incisions starts its own stream and my uretha stops! Plus the dressing over the incision is always soaked in urine so it's always wet and can't seal. Just called the doctor again and they are to get back to me. I would wear a maxipad every day the rest of my life before I would agree to the bladder sling. Anyone having similar problems? I can't tell if this went through or not so sorry if this is a repeat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-13-2007, 08:47 AM

I feel your pain sister. My hubby too is out of careker mode, now he is just plain grumpy. Oh well, it was nice while it lasted!
Unread 11-13-2007, 09:02 AM

Hi everyone!

It's been a week since my LSH and I'm feeling better. Here's how it went:

Nov. 6:
Sugery was at 12:45pm. Took about 2 hours. DR found a large cyst on an ovary and removed it. Explains why I was having pain on one side a week before surgery. Stayed overnight. I had a room all to myself and my hubbie was allowed to stay with me too. (Went up to the room around 4pm) I had a catheter, so I had the leg massagers. (couldn't get up out of bed) Drug of choice: Toradol to help with the pain. Had oxygen overnight.

Nov. 7:
Nurse woke me up around 5am to take out the catheter. Ouch! Then the pain of peeing afterwards...worse than a UTI. I needed help getting around b/c I had not walked since being admitted to the hospital at 10:45am the previous day. I had to move around though. Went back to bed and felt nauseous. I was given a shot of something (can't remember the name of it) That helped. Gradually felt better later in the day and went home around 3:30pm. Tried to walk around a little bit and slept a lot.

Nov. 8:
Hubbie stayed home with me. Abs are very tight and incision areas hurt. Taking Darvocet for the pain. The drug works, but makes me sleepy. Couldn't stand up straight, so I felt like an old woman trying to walk around. Still eating light foods (haven't pooped yet) along with water and cranberry juice. Still burns to pee. DR's office calls to see how I'm doing and says the peeing problem is normal. I call my belly "Frankenbelly" and my lower back is a little swollen.

Nov. 9:
Gas pain really hurts. I walked around with a pillow and took Gas-X pills throughout the day. Abs hurt too much to stretch and try to stand up straight. Lower back not as swollen. Still taking Darvocet for pain. Drank some Citrucel and pooped later that night. Felt better afterwards.

Nov. 10:
Gas pain continues. Same routine as before. Found that using a heating pad helps with the discomfort. Darvocet does not help with the gas pain. Peeing is getting easier - now it burns when the last drop comes out.

Nov. 11:
"Sharted" while on the toilet. Gas pain is gone! Wow. All it took was a huge fart to get rid of it. Gross, but relieved. A few hours later, I had a big belch and felt a lot better. It's getting easier to stand up straight for longer periods of time now. I can also bend over and touch my toes now.

Nov. 12:
Easier to get up and sit down along with getting in and out of bed. Peeing - still feel a little twinge when the last drop comes out. Able to walk around longer and stretch without pain. Still some discomfort around belly button and incision areas so I'm taking 4 Advil. Belly is still a little swollen, but not like before.

Nov. 13:
Getting better, strength is slowly returning. I'll try walking down the street to the mailbox later today.

I'll contine to write about my progress. Thanks to all of you for writing about your experiences it's helped me so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-13-2007, 10:24 AM

It is wonderful to read how well most of you are doing! I'm glad that you all are recovering nicely, but I have to admit I am a tad bit envious of those of you bouncing back so quickly. It makes me wonder what is wrong with me.

I don't feel well. I'm still taking pain killers 3 times a day plus an Advil in the morning. My pelvis feels like it is on fire and it doesn't stop hurting even with the Percocet. Yesterday was the first day my husband would let me out of the house and that was only because we were having lunch for my mom's birthday. I could barely eat without feeling nauseous and I had to constantly get up and down because the pain was so bad. My mother and aunt are paranoid that if I move too much, my ovary is going to fall because an aunt that had a TVH told them this happened to her because she didn't take care of herself the first few weeks. After that, I came home and went to bed for a couple of hours. My husband let me out again at night to go look at a desk for DD's room. I ended up sitting in a chair in the middle of the store and got so tired and sick to my stomach that I couldn't even eat dinner. All I could do was sit on the sofa with the heating pad for the next couple of hours. I'm exhausted but I can't sleep. I'm dizzy if I'm up too long, although I'm not sure if that is from the Percocet or the fact that my blood levels went really low after the surgery. I want to feel well! I thought by having the TVH I was supposed to bounce back quicker, but some of you that had a TAH are doing better! I just want to cry! I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow and I just don't see how I can go back and say that I don't feel well. I feel like a big failure or a big baby! I can barely make it past my front door let alone the grocery store! What's the secret??

Those of you that are doing well, I hope your path to recovery continues to be a success!
Unread 11-13-2007, 10:43 AM

CAmich, could you have a urinary tract infection?

I have been on antibiotics to prevent that. I admit my pain has been nothing but I wonder if what you are describing may be related to that. UTIs are very painful sometimes.

AS for the TVH meaning a quicker recovery, I know that is what they say but in my own personal world of 10 or so hysterectomies it appears to me that the TVH was more difficult to recover from.

Give yourself time.

CS
Unread 11-13-2007, 02:57 PM

I had my second BM on sunday night and thought that my husband was going to have to take me to the hospital. I was IMPACTED! I felt like i was giving birth. Needless to say, I passed it but have really been in alot of pain. Doctor gave me lots of medicine and stool softners. I will probably take stool softners for the rest of my life, ha ha!! Anyway feeling better eating alot of fiber and taking small hot baths. Hope things go better for you.
Tina(total hystro and ovary, 41)
Unread 11-13-2007, 04:23 PM

Doing great today we drove to the city did some banking and even hit walmart. I did come home had nap but no more pain then normal. I took an extra dose of advil for swelling before the long drive.
Going to post but curious about the bowel thing do they stay sluggish for a bit cause I still need to take something every few days to go regular.
Unread 11-13-2007, 07:00 PM

i had my tah on november first . didnt follow my doc instuction first two days and paid huge price.am listening now and pain is under control still having problems with bowel is this normal ladies.how long is too long to be on pain meds.im on day 13 today.when can i drive
Unread 11-13-2007, 07:35 PM

It's really great to be able to follow other peoples progress here. I had my TAH on Thursday afternoon and came home from the hospital on Saturday. Taking Darvocet and Motrin. Have had a bowel and peeing seems to be no problem. I guess all in all I'm not doing too bad since I don't really know exactly what I should expect from myself since everybody kind of handles it differently I guess.

I'm a terrible patient and I have a really hard time staying down and doing nothing. Yesterday, (Monday) I wanted to get up, get son off to school, shower and dress and try to act like it was a normal day (with the exception of going to work). It went ok for the most part, by the time I had showered, put on some eyeliner, dried and fixed my hair and put clothes on, I was kinda tired. Then realized, ok, all dressed up and no where to go and nothing to do. So I felt kind of stupid for "wanting" to treat it like it was a normal day. Read and took a nap. Helping my mom over the phone with memorial arrangements for my grandmother, etc.

Then today, was almost the exact opposite. I didn't want to get up and shower and get dressed. I didn't sleep the whole night through so I was tired this morning. My abdomen hurt more today. I was trying to not take the Darvocet by the clock. Tried to wait longer in between and only take one and just take the Motrin but then I really started hurting and everyone says I may still need the painkillers.... But I sure felt more sleepy/tired today and achy. It feels like I've been punched in the stomach, bruised and then there are these pulling sensations that hurt.

GasX and walking have pretty much kept me from suffering the gas problem. It's there, but not painfully bad or anything.

So I guess I just have to go with the flow and get used to taking naps, moving slow and doing less. I may go stir crazy though. LOL

Thanks for sharing your progress, pointers and advice here. It helps a lot to know what others are going through.

Tina, TAH 11-8-07, endometriosis removed from colon and intestine, fibroid tumor removed from what was left of my last ovary/tube
Unread 11-13-2007, 08:20 PM
Feeling really good...

Hi All. It has been one week today since my TVH, with overies gone and I'm feeling really good. It amazes me how good I feel actually. Every now and then I get a twinge of pain in my stomach and/or lower back but other than that gas has been the only issue. I feel like I could shop, excercise, ect, but I know I can't. Feeling good really makes it hard to try and stay off my feet as much as possible. I have also lost most of the after sugery weight that shocked me to no end! Yea!! Anyone else feeling good after a week? Im still hoping my mood will stay stable, I do feel a little emotional and anxious at certain times of the day, or when I let things get to me. Hope t his finds you all healing well!!!
Hugs, Mindy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register