Hysterectomy dates Nov 12-Nov 19,2007 - Page 52 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Nov 12-Nov 19,2007 Hysterectomy dates Nov 12-Nov 19,2007

Unread 01-29-2008, 08:47 PM
11th Week Post-op Concerns/questions ??

I am on my 11th week post-op and am still having some concerns regarding the sore swelly belly, pouchie pouch fold protruding over my still healing incision and the progress of my healing.
After surgery I have had no discompfort from the incision itself, but my swelly belly is still extremely sore and sensative. When bending, standing or sitting my swelly belly feels like a tight rubber band being stretched.
My incision 11 weeks later is healing slowly but surely, though the incision still looks like a somewhat fresh cut. It just does not appear to be completely healed as I would have thought it would be by now.
At my 4th week pre-op visit, my Dr said I was healing fine, everything checked out okay, I could go back to work in about a week if I felt okay and she said she would see me next year. (Like I was good to go).
Fortunately due to vacation time, I have not had to return to work and to be honest with you, even though I feel good, I do not feel my incision is healed enough to get back to my usual routine.
Does anyone at the same pre-op stage as mine experiencing some of these same issues?
I could use some feed-back on the incision healing issue.
Again, I am concerned about the still "fresh cut look".

Any and all responses would be appreciated,
Also, if you have any questions/concerns I might could shed some light on, feel free to ask.

New Orleans
Slow healer or overly concerned about nothing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-30-2008, 11:19 AM
Hysterectomy dates Nov 12-Nov 19,2007

I am same day, my incision is a very dark red, but that seems to look normal to me. I have been applying Vitamin E and aloe to it for about 6 wks and I think it is helping. I use Fruit of the Earth Vit. E gel and it has aloe in it. I have some issues with mild flashes at night, but am not treating them with anything yet. I am using progest. and testro. in topical cream form from my homopath, they are helping the testo. is helping out with my sex drive and lubication too. I have one place that hurts from the incision down to my left leg, I am told that is just healing. It varies as to the degree of pain.
I would say that my incision from center is an intense color but not of concern to me. I would go with what your inner voice tells you is right. Mine has never miss lead me. If you think it does not look right go back and ask the dr. again. Good luck. I am very glad I had this surgery, are you? TAH/BSO age 47.
Unread 01-30-2008, 07:23 PM

My incision seemed to heal pretty quickly and is a purplish/pink as I am very fair. It looks just like my incision from laproscopic surgery over a year ago- so i haven't been worried. I also have a floppy swelly belly and that did make thing more difficult with cleaning and having a good look at it- but oh well- the incision area is very numb too-I felt like I was doing so great until this week- and I'm glad to see I'm not alone in still having issues!
Also- is there anyone who's had lots of hormonal issues- even if you kept your ovaries? Being weepy, moody, depressed, a hot flash or two, feeling like you're going to get your period but it never comes (and won't, of course)- feeling just wierd emotionally? And if so, have you done anything about it? Is that a given- that we will have hormonal issues even though keeping our ovaries was supposed to eliminate that- I thought?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-31-2008, 02:55 AM

Hi SpiceFlower - I asked my doctor about that as I was having pains still in my ovaries due to the ovary still being released and let me tell you I wasn't happy about that one at all but when I questioned him about my emotions and my not sleeping at night, etc he just agreed that I would be having these symptoms again. What I would suggest you do is chart your emotions, nightsweats, etc. If you are continuing to have them for another few weeks or months then talk to your doctor. Maybe your body is going through menopause early even with your ovaries. Also from my understanding it will take your body 6 months to a year to heal. Also from what you wrote in your email it sounds like you have had 2 surgeries about 1 year apart or in other words very close together so it could be your body adjusting to those changes as well. But like I said, keep records of your emotions/symptoms and maybe what is going on around that time if anything and for how long it lasted and see what your doctor says.
Unread 01-31-2008, 05:58 AM

I think we as a group are judging ourselves more harshly than before the surgery. The same moods may not have been noticed much at all before surgery but now we are all looking at ourselves under a microscope, and being watched by our families etc. I think we need to give ourselves a break and not think everything is some symptom. Ask yourself would I have noticed this mood at all prior to surgery. I found that at first almost everything I said or did was being interupted as a mood swing or hormonal by my family. I told them to back off and things have been much better. See if some of you are doing the samething.TAH/BSO
Unread 01-31-2008, 07:06 AM
Yes, my hormones are raging & I kept my ovaries

spiceflower: I had a partial hyst. 11/14/07. It seems as though I have PMS two weeks out of the month: swollen, tender breasts, crankiness, mood swings, just an overall feeling as though my hormones are raging! I have been told that it will take a few months after surgery for the hormones to settle down. The body is in upheaval right now after the surgery. The ovaries are getting used to the body without the uterus, and they get less blood supply than they did pre-op. Basically, the removal of the uterus is causing a hormonal imbalance. That is basically what I have read. I am seeing my doctor next Tues. and will ask if there is a hormonal cream or supplement to take. I have noticed that since I just started back on the treadmill 20 min. 3 days a week, it is helping a bit. Plus drinking lots of water and taking a daily women's vitamin is supposed to help. Good luck! I know it's weird having PMS and no period!
Unread 01-31-2008, 01:04 PM

My dr told me that the ovaries may be shocked by the surgery and may never work again. That was one reason I decided to go ahead with having them removed. I would assume that if they are shocked, it could be any type of reaction, either overactive or underactive as they adjust.
Unread 01-31-2008, 01:51 PM

Kasey2,

Thanks so much for the immediate feedback. I have just started using coco butter and vitamin e oil to sullen the scarring. I was afraid to use it sooner because of the "still fresh cut look", not sure if I was healed enough - the protruding belly flap I think has slowed the healing - because of it not being able to really dry out at all times, the flap keeping in some moisture.
I showed my room-mate my incision last night (since it is really difficult for me to get a truly good look at it over my tummy) and she said it seems to be healing real well at the ends, but the center seems to be healing slower - she said she did not see a concern to contact the doctor about it.
I am also glad I had the surgery @ age 44, but I surely would have preferred to have it done laproscopically - my cervix was too large, so they changed plans during surgery and went with a TAH.
Good luck to you also, and thanks again for the feedback. It was truly comforting to hear what someone else's incision looked like at the same post-op time frame as mine.

New Olreans
Unread 01-31-2008, 02:51 PM

Kasey2,

What I thought was; "Just being myself moods" - my family and freinds blamed on my pre-menopausing or being in a bad mood because of my overwhelming heaving periods before the TAH. I had the TAH because of the heavy periods becoming unbearable. Since the TAH, I have been told that I am not always in a bad mood and have become more patient and understanding. I'm not really sure I have changed as much as I've been told I have because of the surgery or not, but I can assure you that I am not as miserable as I was with the heavy periods and this alone I have no doubt has changed my moods tremendously. I think after such a major surgery we all expect immediate mood changes (for the better that is) or no mood changes at all for the matter - and these mood changes vary from individual to individual. Whether we notice the good changes or not, the few people I know whom have had a hysterectomy, have told me "It was the best thing they ever did"! "That says alot" And I can't wait to be able to say the same thing.

New Orleans
Unread 01-31-2008, 04:17 PM

SpiceFlower,
RE: Ovaries, Mood Swings/Hormones Etc....

I also thank you for you feedback regarding the incision healing/swelly belly issue. It truly lessons the worries I've had.
You mentioned having laproscopic surgery a year ago. Did you have both laproscopic surgery and a year later have a TAH and if so, why did you have to have two seperate surgerys?
I also kept my ovaries and I'll tell you why. My Doctor gave me these options which is why I chose not to have them removed. She told me if I remove my ovaries I would be forced into immediate menopause/mood swings as opposed to more gradual, natural mood swings. Because of this immediate change (un-naturally removing the ovaries), I would be forced to take hormone supplements for (I assume, the rest of my life). If I kept my ovaries the mood swings/menopause would be gradual and slight at the most and more likely than not, I would not have to take any hormone supplements, since the changes came natural and not forced due to the ovaries being removed. She stressed that these changes of course differ from individual to individual. Even though I was having this surgery I would have mood swings though they would be slight. She also told me if I kept my ovaries there would be a very very slight chance of getting ovarian cancer, but the chances were slight especially after the age of 50. The thought of having to have a second surgery was a huge concern to me, having the first TAH surgery had me scared as hell much less the thought of having to go thru this a second time - but the forced mood swing deal and the taking hormone supplements forever was of more concern to me than the rare chances of my getting ovarian cancer - my doctor agreed. She assured me the ovarian cancer/second surgery chances were very rare, but the forced mood swings/menopause was a pretty sure thing if I had my ovaries removed. So I opted to keep my ovaries.
Since the surgery I have been having frequent hot flashes, my body seems to ache more than usual and depression has set in a few times in the last 11 weeks, which is unusual. My feelings have been somewhat weird also, but I was expecting some major mood changes, so I have not been all that concerned. I don't know if it's just habit or not after having a period for over 30 years, but on several occasions I have felt as though I was going to or started my period. - whether it be from cramps I have gotten or that discharge feeling. I have even had to remind myself at these times, that I don't have periods anymore. These feelings I am just chalking up as habit forming feelings that will eventually go away once the whole healing process is complete which I have read takes about a year.
Hope this feedback sheds some light on your concerns/issues. It appears that each OBGYN has a different outlook on the hormone issue. My doctor was fairly young (mid 30's), but what she told me seemed to make some sense and again she stressed that it varys from individual to individual. She said there are no set/definite hormone patterns before or after a hysterectomy. No two women having the exact same surgery will have the exact same results.

Makes some sense huh!

New Orleans

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register