Hysterectomy dates Mar 03-Mar 10,2008 - Page 10 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Mar 03-Mar 10,2008 Hysterectomy dates Mar 03-Mar 10,2008

Unread 03-13-2008, 10:58 PM
Hysterectomy dates Mar 03-Mar 10,2008

Physically seem to be doing well, but some crying jags. Not quite sure what that's about. I spent sometime reflecting tonight....I don't know if it's a hormone shift, or just having a bit more time to observe life around me...my mom getting older, my step daughter struggling with losing her job ect...and then of course, speaking of getting older, me getting older....

A little extra tension with husband. I had anticipated much more, so trying to focus on that. I have a hard time asking for help which adds to the tension. His only child self has a hard time being inconvenienced. I know he's trying....at 57 being the primary parent to our 7 year old is wearing him out.

Plus, I'm missing the time I usually spend with my 7 year old daughter....

A little blue tonight I guess.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2008, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsofquestions
Physically seem to be doing well, but some crying jags. Not quite sure what that's about. I spent sometime reflecting tonight....I don't know if it's a hormone shift, or just having a bit more time to observe life around me...my mom getting older, my step daughter struggling with losing her job ect...and then of course, speaking of getting older, me getting older....

A little extra tension with husband. I had anticipated much more, so trying to focus on that. I have a hard time asking for help which adds to the tension. His only child self has a hard time being inconvenienced. I know he's trying....at 57 being the primary parent to our 7 year old is wearing him out.

Plus, I'm missing the time I usually spend with my 7 year old daughter....

A little blue tonight I guess.....
Hi loq, Every thing Will Be All Right, You Know One Thing You Can Do Is Just Take Some Time, First Let's Pray That God Will Releive You Of This Tension, It Is All Right To Ask For Help, The Problem Is That If You Ask And No One Helps, Your Husband Will Be Just Fine, Allow This Time For Him And Your Daughter To Do Some Daddy And Daughter Things, It's OK If He Do Get A Little Tiered, The Youthfullness Of Your Daughter, Is A Good Thing, This Will Help Him In The Long Run, Because As You Begin To Heal, You Will See That The Energy You Had Taking Care Of Your Daughter, Will Be A Plus, For The Whole Family, Now Every One Can Enjoy The Same Thing, Not Just You And Your Daughter Any More, Now Dad Can Also.
Unread 03-14-2008, 07:10 AM
Post-Op Day 5

I had my total abdominal hysterectomy on Monday March 10. I planned for it for 4 months. I left my office at work in good order and thoroughtly cleaned my house as well. My experience in the hospital was good, and I wasn't at all nervous before the surgery. I made sure I was as healthy as possible. I lost 78 pounds in the 18 months prior to the procedure and have been working out at a gym for 3 months. I think this made a big difference with my recovery so far.

My surgery lasted 2 hours and the pain when I woke in the recovery room was manageable. I had a catheter and a pain pump (dilaudid) for the first 24 hours. The catheter came out and I got up to sit in a chair after 24 hours and could barely stand. I started peeing about 2 hours later. About 5 hours after that they disconnected my IV and I was able to have clear liquids. I progressed to softer foods and bowel sounds were good, although the gas became fairly painful. They gave me something for that.

Tuesday evening they removed my IV at my request and I continued to be up and about, walking the halls, washing my face and hands, brushing my teeth, etc. Coughing was painful and I made myself do it without the use of that evil plastic contraption. Coughing now is less painful and more localized. I ordered the Swelly Belly Band and wish I had it now.

I have good support and care at home. I was released on Wednesday afternoon and the ride home was a little painful b/c my chauffer managed to hit every pothole and manhole cover between here and the hospital.

I am taking it easy on eating. I am 4 pounds down from my pre-op weight (my uterus accounts for about half that). I am trying to stay on my regular food plan. I am taking a stool softener and fiber, though I have yet to have a BM. Until today I don't think I had eaten enough to have one but I think today if I don't have one we need to see what's going on.

I was sent home with a narcotic pain med, ibuprofen, and antinausea meds. I experienced only mild nausea in the hospital due to the type of anesthesia I got (I made sure they took every precaution against this when I met with the anesthesiologist) and had a motion sickness patch the first 24 hours. It really helped. I have only taken the anti-nausea med twice since being home. I have discontinued the narcotic pain med b/c it is causing me to have weird dreams and audio hallucinations. Now my pain med is ibuprofen 1000mg.

I got pretty good care in the hospital. My nurse and nurses aide was great. A student nurse removed my catheter with the direction of her instructor. Though rather hesitant, she did a good job. They helped me get out of bed the first time. I did feel, however, that every time I hit the button the nurses gave me the feeling that I was bothering them. If I went to the nurses' station they acted like I wasn't there and that I was causing them an inconvenience by being there. I had to raise some hell when they were late giving me my pain meds and when I asked to see my chart and they said I couldn't. Well guess who won that fight? ME. Always remember, your medical chart belongs to you and you have a right to see it at any time. My room was cleaned several times and my linens did get changed, as did my gown.

I am happy to be home and am looking forward to being off for the next five weeks. I still have to do our taxes, which I dread, but I think I will feel up to it.

My hobby is rubber stamping and I think I might do some of that today.

Best wishes to all of you on your recovery!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-14-2008, 07:15 AM

Hi Lotsofquestions,

I also have a 7 year old. Is yours reading yet? If so get her to read small little stories to you. Or even have her write some small ones of her own. Maybe you can help her by drawing some pictures for her to write a story too. Just a couple of suggestions for you to spend some time with her. Not to mention board games or even just cuddling and talking. My daughter and I do this all the time.

DR
Unread 03-14-2008, 10:06 AM

Well, I am officially 1 week post op. Things were going very well yesterday, and I was weaning off the pain meds....and then around 11:30 pm last night, it hit me. I had very intense pain inside, my lip started quivering from the pain and my husband got me to the nearest chair. That was a bit freaky.

I had a LAVH and I still have both ovaries. While in recovery, the pain was bad, and I kept asking for something for it. They did a good job at keeping me doped up. lol

A few hours after I was in my room, I asked them to please remove my catheter. I felt like I had to urinate, but nothing was coming out. My nurse assured me there was urine coming out, but said she would check with my doc about removing it. He said yes, so it was gone. I was up and going potty!

I've had 2 bm's since returning home.....and the gas has calmed down. I've been making sure I do absolutely nothing so I have no set backs.

The fatigue is something I can't get over. I can't believe how tired you can get from having this done. Anyone know why?
Unread 03-14-2008, 10:47 AM

Hi All,
This is the first time I've posted so I hope I do this right.

I had a TVH, kept both ovaries w/ A & P, repair done on March 5th. My 2 night stay at the castle was not what I had hoped for, especially after providing the nursing staff with a basket of goodies. The OR and recovery room nurses were awesome, but once I was in my room I felt completely ignored. Nobody even let my DH know I was out of recovery. Okay enough about the complaints!

My recovery went very well at the hospital. The morning after my surgery, they took out the cath and my IV and I was able to walk to the bathroom, put on my own nightgown, brush my teeth and even put on makeup. The CNA was a hoot (she was the only one), and was very surprised at how well I was doing.
Came home on Day 2 post op and have done very well except for the fatigue also. Until yesterday! I had the worst pain since my surgery. The only way I can explain it is it feels like a deep very painful itch inside the vagina. Maybe it is the stitches healing, but I was in tears with the pain. I'm feeling much better today though, but still very tired.
Unread 03-14-2008, 11:57 AM

Oh my gosh, guess I'm still emotional. I read the replies a few of you sent and I was touched and it made me cry. Thanks so much for your support. I feel like I have nothing to complain about as really things have gone very smoothly. Also, I enjoy this time away from my hectic life, and find plenty to keep me occupied without getting bored.

But, am feeling particularly sensitive I think, and as I said, a little blue.

Anyway, yesterday was a high energy day. Each day, in fact, I've had increasingly more energy. Except today, which has had me laying in bed most of the day. It helps to have read that that is pretty normal, so just trying to enjoy....

Thanks again to all, and hope you are doing ok.
Unread 03-14-2008, 12:04 PM

My TAH was done on 3/10/08. I was released on Wednesday late afternoon and am home. My pain has been light and have been taking 600MG Ibuprofen every 6hours. I have been up and walking around the house and resting alot. It would appear that all this is normal. I am experiencing the "swellybelly", but good to know that that is normal also.

I am happy to find this website as the doctor's can only tell you so much about what to expect and you never can know all the questions to even ask.

Hopefully, I can find some small things to fill my time. I am so used to being busy that all this doing "nothing" is making me crazy.

Thanks for all the support.
Unread 03-14-2008, 12:12 PM

Hi everyone,
Please forgive me. I am new to these boards and wonder all of the time if I am posting in the right place.

My name is Mary and I had a total laparascopic hysterectomy on 3/4.

I am doing pretty well. I'm sleepy and a little foggy-headed, and yesterday I did a little unusual crying--but I can walk around the block if I want to.

I'm waiting to get my pathology report to see if I have cancer, or if it is gone.

I'm really concerned about hormonal balance post-op, and wondering how I can protect myself against Alzheimers, etc. being deprived of estrogen relatively early in my life.

Did any of you have a hysterectomy due to uterine cancer?
Unread 03-14-2008, 12:27 PM

Hi 3toogetready:
Thanks for your empathy. I really appreciate it, and would love to know more about your story--how you came to have your hysterectomy and of course, how you are doing!

I'm still having a good day today--crossing fingers.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register