Hysterectomy dates Mar 03-Mar 10,2008 - Page 26 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Mar 03-Mar 10,2008 Hysterectomy dates Mar 03-Mar 10,2008

Unread 03-23-2008, 10:44 PM
Hysterectomy dates Mar 03-Mar 10,2008

Welcome, Flounder. Please check back often. I'll tell you I pass the hours away on here. If it weren't for my trusty laptop.....I would have been bored to tears weeks ago. I'm a big reader and I just haven't even felt like reading.

I turn to these ladies for just about everything. It's like I've known them forever. I am recommending this site to my dr. I think it has certainly been a lifesaver for many of us. I want to share with as many people as I can.

HysterHugs,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-24-2008, 12:56 AM

I had my TAH 3/6 and am getting into my 3rd week of recovery. I had surgery on Thursday and got released late Sunday afternoon. The hospital was pretty good with everything. The first few days were rough getting up and down and It took about 4 or 5 days where I could sleep in my bed with DH, I was terrified he would roll over and smack me in the stomach. :-)
He didn't and all is well. He took the first week off and pampered me some. I am really starting to feel much better but have to catch myself sometimes and stop doing things I shouldn't. I was going to go back to work after 4 weeks but decided to enjoy the rest and go back at 6 weeks. I wish all pre-op Princesses the best!!!!!! I too, am glad it is over!!!
Sailcat
43 yrs, had TAH on 3/6 5 pound fibroid uterus removed!!/retained ovaries
Unread 03-24-2008, 01:02 AM

March 4th was my 2 hour TVH with 3 incisions. Dr thought it was time since I had a uterine tumor 4"x4"x6". The uterus alone weighted 1 pound! Each of my ovaries were hidden by a huge cyst. Then had a surprise "bleeder" that required additional internal stitches. No cancer! I was in recovery for 3 hours. Finally, awoke in my room and started getting a temperature that continued climbing. By mid afternoon my temp was 99.9 (I thought it was just a hot flash!) and sneezing about every 15 minutes! So my "Christmas tree" stand was full with Morphine, IV bag and antibiotics! It seemed like I had a private nurse as they were constantly in my room checking. My family was more concerned with all the attention. Sure glad the Dr had recommended the nausea medication before surgery. They didn't let me up till the afternoon of the 5th. I switched over to pain pills at the same time as I was feeling better than before surgery. I wasn't released until 5pm on the 6th. I've been drinking lots of water and resting. The hospital gave me a "travel pillow". It has been wonderful for the car as our winter has been very hard on the road in Missouri! Pot holes everywhere! I've found at night an extra bed pillow for the tummy is very comforting when you want to lay on your side. My last pain pill was on the 7th. The family has been chauffering me around so I can go shopping and getting exercise. The more I walk the better I sleep at night. Remember you can rest at the snack bars, shoe dept or lawn and garden dept. I go to the Dr on 25th for my second or three check ups. I've been told by many Drs and nurses that I have a very high pain tolerance. The Dr has given my husband guidelines I'm to follow. It is amazing how the guys/family/friends can step up when they are needed. I didn't walk much today and I'm having trouble this evening with insominia, any of you gals dealt with this? Sure glad spring is here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-24-2008, 04:39 AM

I too have been feeling slightly sorry for myself. I do feel quite cut off from everything and everyone at times. Other times when people are around I want them to go. So, I figure it must be the major surgery that we have had. That sometimes can change the emotions.
Unread 03-24-2008, 05:57 AM
Post-Op Day 14

Well I made it two weeks! This morning I'm feeling good.

The trip to the in-laws' was not the piece of cake I thought it might be. The bouncing around from taking a long car trip was quite unpleasant and caused me some distress, especially afterwards. When we got there, I sat... for hours. In a rocking chair with just a thin seat pad. OOoooooh my tailbone! I did get up a few times to pee and get water but other than that pretty much just sat. My niece and nephew were there (7 and 4) so walking around them was probably not a good idea. They did spend a lot of time close to me b/c I was using the laptop to play some games but I was very attentive to their position and placed my hand strategically whenever they came at me. But they were very loving and I got lots of hugs and kisses. And as usual I ate too much - back on program today!!

I slept pretty well on a double-decker aerobed, it was very comfortable... except I had to get up around 4:30 to pee and that was where the pain was the worst. All that jostling around from the ride, plus the full bladder (that might have a UTI)...OMG it was not pleasant. I am going today to give a specimen to have it checked out.

Somehow I have lost my drivers' license. I gave it to DH on The Big Day in case they asked for it at the hospital, along with my insurance card. Since I had already had an extensive pre-op workup they didn't ask for it. Well when we left the hospital, DH said he gave both to me in case I needed it then. Well I didn't and unfortunately I have no memory of him giving them to me or what I might have done with them. I have emptied out my purse and wallet twice, plus the bag I took to the hospital, and DH has looked thu his things extensively... no luck. So today I need to put on makeup and do something with this hair and go get a new license. It was to expire in November anyway.

My personal physician called me last night to check on me plus to let me know she got the thank-you card I sent her. (She is a personal friend as well so we talk on a regular basis.) We had a nice chat and I may have her manage my HRT if I have it; she is also a PharmD so she knows all about drugs and their interactions. I am so blessed to have her as a friend and my doctor. I can call her any time about any thing.

I got a survey in the mail about my experience in the hospital. Oh what an awesome opportunity to let them know how nasty the nurses at the desk were! I plan to attach a sheet with my detailed comments. Did any of you have bad experiences with nurses while you were in the hospital?

So my incision is still a little pink, esp where the staples were, and of course down at the bottom. Most of my steri strips have already fallen off. The incision area's swelling seems to be subsiding some. I am having intermittent internal twinging, sometimes it's a few throbbing pains, sometimes they are a bit sharp, but they always go away. The gas persists and that is more painful than anything, but that is intermittent as well. I take ibuprofen and naproxen for pain, and even those doses are further apart.

I feel like I'm doing well, I'm doing too much but not overdoing it. This week my goal is to keep up with housework (will leave the vacuuming to someone else), get our taxes done, and cook dinner every evening. Next week I am going to go back to the gym to begin walking on the treadmill. I'll start out with 15 minutes about 2mph and see how I do. Maybe add some arm/upper back exercises towards the end of the week. I miss that place! (Lord I never thought I would say that about the gym!!!)

And of course I will do some stamping. I have some images to upload to a sharing website and some cards to send out. If you want to check out my creations, visit http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...00&ppuser=3792 (I hope that is not a violation of this site's rules - I am not selling anything.) If you don't have one, stamping is an amazing hobby that brings out creativity and has been a wonderful refuge and stress reliever for me. Not to mention it will drain your checkbook in record time, LOL!!! But it keeps me off the streets.

For those of you who are having setbacks: please try not to be discouraged. Be goal-oriented - today maybe your goal is to take a shower and congratulate yourself for the accomplishment. Think about your doctor's orders and remember what the ultimate outcome is. Do just a little less than you think you are capable of, creating a balance between what you are able to do and what you want to do. You should be able to do a little more every day. If you are having pain, take something for it and rest - listen to what your body tells you. Our bodies can't heal themselves if we are expending its energy doing other things. We owe this to ourselves so that we can recover from the surgery and get on with our very busy lives!!

Wishing all of you a great day of healing!
Unread 03-24-2008, 08:26 AM

Day 20 - Man oh man I find this site so useful! I too, lose hours looking up things, checking on the others, feeling like I'm not alone. Frustration seems to my word of choice as of late. I think I convinced myself that it would be no different than a c-section. Now that was almost 15 years ago and maybe I was more tolerant but I want to be better NOW! All and all I am doing fantastic and my heart truly goes out to the sisters who haven't been as fortunate but enough already! No more incision pain, no more "turtling" when I want to get out of bed, no more, no more, no more! And sometimes I wonder where the heck my head was at before the surgery because I booked all sorts of things post surgery thinking I would be back in the saddle full force. I took on more classes thinking that I wouldn't have to juggle work too and even as far as getting a new puppy on Valentines Day because I would be off work for 6 weeks and could spend some time training. Was I nuts? Trying to struggle a 20 pound Bulldog outside at 3:00 am maybe wasn't the smartest endevour I have taken. Oh well, at least he's cute. Anyhoo, thanks for the vent. Today will pass and tomorrow will be a fresh start. I'm hoping others are feeling fantastic, enjoying the springtime air!

p.s. Anyone else ready to trade in the hubby and kids??
Unread 03-24-2008, 08:46 AM
Still healing

I had a wonderful Easter weekend with family. I rode to Austin with my parents and kept the seat back and napped. I had some soft gel freezer packs that I placed between me and the seatbelt, which helped even when the cold wore off. It was great getting to play with my nephew (only 4 mos old) but I had to be really careful holding him, as he's in leg-swinging mode. My brother and sis-in-law are already planning a trip down here in a few weeks to go fishing and let my mom do the baby-sitting (which she loves!).

I ate way too much and it was pretty rich food, so the gas was getting to me for most of the weekend. I know the antibiotics are to blame for most of it, but I can't take any probiotics or eat yoghurt until I finish my current course, since it clearly warns against dairy products while taking it. The drive home was pretty much a repeat of the drive up, but with an overly full belly from late lunch. At least Dad has become better about potty stops as he's aged and started dealing with prostate issues.

I'll be back at work tomorrow, which should be interesting. On Wednesday my students will have a sub and I'll be in a professional dev course, which takes place in my classroom, strangely enough, so my students will be relocated. Then on Friday, I've got a curriculum meeting for the district. My students are going to forget who I am at this rate. I know I'll have to take it easy for the first couple of weeks and be very careful lifting stuff, even though my doc said I'm good to go, with no restrictions.

Stamper, I love your work!!! I never realized how beautiful or involved stamping could be.
Unread 03-24-2008, 09:13 AM

hello there! had a great Easter at home. I'm feeling better and better. my doc cleared me for light hand weights last week and I tried it for the first time this morning (5 lbs). did only upper body then took my dog for a slow walk. it felt SO good ... little by little getting back to normal. I'm feeling some tightness which my doc said is basically spams due to to the surgery. otherwise, everything is great. sleeping well, drinking plenty of fluids. I made sure Easter meal had plenty of veggies and no fatty foods. it worked!!
Unread 03-24-2008, 09:18 AM

Good Morning gals!
I hope your day is off to a good start. Try to get a warm shower and clean hair asap. Then our glass of water, a cup of hot tea/coffee with the newspaper, phone and the TV remote close. It helps us stay in touch with world! I make a list of daily goals and a list for the DH that way he can choose what he is in the "mood" to work on! I overhead him saying, "I didn't know how much she did in a day!" Gave me a boost! Hope your day is off on a great start!
Unread 03-24-2008, 09:25 AM

Today is day 18 and I had my check up today. There was an internal but it didn't hurt. I had a TAH on 3/5 and everything was taken except my right ovary. I have been cleared to try work next Monday 3/31 as tolerated and she told me to just listen to my body. That it would protest if under too much stress.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register