Hysterectomy dates Mar 03-Mar 10,2008 - Page 28 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Mar 03-Mar 10,2008 Hysterectomy dates Mar 03-Mar 10,2008

Unread 03-24-2008, 02:52 PM
Hysterectomy dates Mar 03-Mar 10,2008

The Dr. said he trusted me to drive, it was just the other folks that he didn't trust while recouperating. Sure glad you weren't hurt but can imagine the emotional roller coaster. Our DH have so much invested in us, that they don't want us to be in any danger! The car can be fixed or replaced. We are a different story in their eyes. Try to remember what we think is important is not a high priority in another persons eyes. I've noticed the house was "female clean" when I went in for surgery but it will be "man clean" soon! Remember, dust and house work existed before we were born and it will exist forever! Pick a battle you can win. The dust cloth or the vacumn! Hmm I think a lounge chair and a cold glass of water is even better!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-24-2008, 04:54 PM
Are the Ovaries floating?

I am 3 weeks into my recovery: 3/5/08 robotic, lap, hyster, saved the ovaries. I wonder, are the ovaries just hanging out there in the abdomen? Are they attached to anything? If I have saved them how can they still make your breasts tender, feel grumpy, weepy when they are floating in space? I also have a bone dry vagina, I sure am scared when the time comes for SEX, how can the vagina get all aroused? It cannot, we have to live on fake store boxed lubes Oh well, i guess this is better than heavy periods with clots the size of a baseball..Amazing how we women can with stand the TESTS of time! I do feel alot better every day, just have to pace my body and take naps..If any woman wants to know how to stay sane, just let out all your emotions to the DH, even if you think they are trivial..It helped me out today to tell my hubbie that i was sad and felt lost with out my uterus. I do experience alot of back pain and weakness, so i take an an NSAID. For now take care ladies, its a daily ladder to climb...Donna Please send me mail if any one wants to share
Unread 03-24-2008, 05:14 PM

Thank you. I know it could have been a lot worse. Just seems like I can't catch a break. When I was at the hospital for my hematoma, my mp3 player got stolen too. I don't know what is wrong with some people.

Funny how our clean is different from the men and children's clean, isn't it? I have to say, my 4 children and my husband have been pretty wonderful. They are just now starting to slack. But, like you said, we have to chose our battles.

I have had no emotional feelings about losing my uterus. I had no attachment to it. For a brief second, it was weird to think that I was getting rid of my chidren's "first home", but it passed really quickly. I feel bad for the women who were not able to have children or did not have as many as they wanted before having to have this done. The way I see it, I was done with it and it was causing me more trouble than it was worth!

Forget the sex, I can't wait to take a BATH!!! My poor hubby. I am being purely selfish too. If I can't have any, he isn't either! He's on his own. He hasn't hit me up anyways. As good as he has been to me, if he did, I might be persuaded.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-24-2008, 05:33 PM
interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMZ
I am 39 and had a vaginal hyster (uterus and cervix removed) and a bladder lift on 3/6 and was home the following day. Surgery and recovery have been great. After surgery on 3/6, I was up and walking around with assistance - just couldn't lay in that hospital bed any more. Went home on 3/7 and have had no problems at all. Went to the store with my husband and 2 year old on 3/8. On 3/10 I was up and around and working (I work from home). I talked to the doc on 3/11 to ask if I could do more than just sit around and he said sure - just listen to your body. So, I started walking a mile on the tread mill - it was great. I had my 2 week follow-up on 3/21 and have been cleared to do everything but intercourse. Doc said listen to my body and I can begin my normal routine at home and exercise. I had read only depressing stories about this surgery and want people to know that it is not always as depressing as everyone says. If you have a great surgeon and a positive outlook in life, it helps in recovery.

Well i had a great surgeon and always a positive outlok at life thats what got me thru this pain all these years and still here to endure my surgery..Tand my recovery..here are alot of depressing stories and i contribute to all of them as well..But just so everyone knows i never post sad things to bring anyone down or give them a sense of doubt, but just encouragement and strength to know they are not alone in their days and emotions wheither it be sad, depressing or exciting, We are all experiecing our healing in different ways and we all can relate to "one or another or all" Do i wish i can get on a tread mill right now for 30 seconds LOL of course..but even if i could i dont think i would just because me pushing myself and not listening to my body at all times has landed me sicker. I pushed myself this whole weekend which landed me in bed all day today!! gee what was i thinking... Lots of hugges to you all..

Rachel
Unread 03-24-2008, 09:59 PM

Hello sisters!
Today was post op day 20. I go for my first post op appt tomorrow I feel really good and my stitches have dissolved. Yesterday was a great day I went to church, had a cook out with family members. I did notice I was pretty tired today and took a nap for the first time in 2 weeks. It just made me realize I am not 100% so I wanted to make sure to take it easy especially before my post op appt tomorrow. Hope everyone is doing good and have a great week
Unread 03-25-2008, 01:26 AM
Recovery from TAH 3rd March

Hello to all the princessess,

Sorry it's taken me awhile to get back to everyone.

Everything went well, the surgery went well, (the gas pain was out this world though!! Thank god I took the advice of a hyster sister and took some 'de-gas' with me it was a lifesaver!!) was in hospital for 4 days and nearly going out of my mind with boredom!! I was only takin pandol for the pain every four hours or so and was up walking the halls from the 2nd day onwards, the only thing stopping me from going home - I hadn't opened my bowels!! However after consuming large amount of delicious prune juice by late afternoon on the 4th day I went!!!

I was home in my own bed that night, and slept really well (nothing like your own bed/pillow/house etc.)

Have been walking a little each day, drinking lots and resting lots, the only problem I had was that because I'm not busy enough during the day I'm staying awake till about 5am and then sleeping till about 11am (not like me at all, I'm usually up and about by 7.00am at the latest!!)

Got my staples out (22 in total) wasn't too bad, the last four hurt a bit coz the skin had started to grow over them - so when they were pulled out a little bit of me went with them - ouch!!

Had my first half day outing today, got a haircut, sticky nosed in some op-shops and then met my husband for lunch at a cafe before heading back home - by the end of it I was feeling a pulling feeling in my tummy so was glad to be home.

Will be back at work in 3 weeks time, hopefully my swelly belly will have gone down a bit more by then or I might have trouble doing up my work pants!

All in all this has been a fairly wonderful recovery - thank god!!

Blessings and love to all the princesses!!
Unread 03-25-2008, 02:26 AM

Hi Ladies,
I know it's late, but I feel I can sit down and let you all know how I am doing now after my trip to the castle on March 4th. It didn't go actually as planned. My surgery was scheduled for early am, and hubby and I showed up with plenty of time to spare. My blood pressure surprised me and wasn't off the charts despite my insides jumping all over the place from nerves. Everyone I dealt with during the pre-op stuff were so nice, and of course, very comforting being able to talk with both the surgeons beforehand. I still very very blessed to have found these gentlemen.
I remember kissing hubby, and getting the little cap put on my head, and going into the operating rm, but that's about it. Next thing I know, I'm in recovery. It took longer than usual, almost 6hrs, but they were able to do it all laproscopicallly (sp?). Hubby told me he had started pacing after about 4hrs, so he was getting a bit frantic until the doctors talked with him to explain everything.
I was given a private room...wow..luxury, and it was so very wonderful to see hubby's face smiling at me. This was after dinner time, so I just drank some water. What felt very weird for me was the catheter. I've never had one before, and it was difficult to understand that if I needed to urinate, to just 'do it'. I had to explain to the nurses, which kind of gave them a chuckle, the fact that I had been a bedwetter till about 10yrs old, and the thought that I was now being allowed to go to the bathroom while lying in bed was just unreal, and a bit scary! :-) Would I still be able to go to the bathroom on my own after they take the tube out???
I was told that I would probably be discharged the next day after noon, so hubby went home to rest up. Well, a little while later, I started to feel a slight burning pain in the upper tummy, and the nurse said it was probably some gas starting to work. Later on, it was getting stronger, and had me a bit concerned because my stomach was now bloating and felt like a rock. I didn't want to seem like a pest, so let it ride a bit, but about an hour later, I just could not stand the pain anymore, and rung for the nurse. There was a shift change, so new lady arrived. I explained to her how long I'd be feeling like this, and she looked at my belly, and all of sudden there were 10 people in the room. I was sweating, and my eyes were not focusing right. I tried to ask what was happening to me, but all I heard was 'doctor speak' between them. I did fully understand tho when they said to call her husband, and I heard my blood pressure was announced to be 80/40. Heck, I knew something was wrong there! A doctor came in, and with the help of another, held my head down while inserting the iv's in my neck which they called the 'central line'. Someone said again my husband wasn't answering the phone, so they were sending the police to the door. The next thing I know, I'm waking up in recovery, and I have a ventilator down the throat, and a nose tube down to my stomach. Yes, that totally freaked me out. I couldn't talk of course, and the nurse gave me a little pad to write on. I was crying, and I told her that I was so frightened because of everything attached to me, it was bringing back very sad memories. My Mom had recently passed away in an ICU. This nurse was the sweetest, most caring lady, and stood by my side talking with me and calming me down. After awhile, they brought me into ICU, where I stayed for the next 3 days. What happened? I had started bleeding internally. Now that I was opened up, my hubby told me I was his 'precious zipper'. My daughter was allowed to come in to see me also. She stayed while hubby went home to rest. I was reminded to press the button to give myself meds. My mouth was SO DRY, and lips were chapped. I just sipped on water. It was very strange to get that ventilator out, but the nose tube stayed.
I was able to get my own room again, so nice, and this was a bit larger with a couch and recliner type chair. Hubby said he wasn't going to leave me again. He slept on the couch, and I at first told him that hearing his snoring was so comforting to me knowing he was right there. Then as I felt better, I was asking for my ear plugs so I could sleep! :-)
Very strange when they took the catheter out, and I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to make it to the toilet in time. Let me tell you...I was SO proud of myself to get off that bed. It took some time, so I learned that when I THINK I may have to go...start moving then! :-) The PT staff came by, and helped me with my first little stroll to the door and back. The next day, hubby took me for a walk and I made it to the nurse's station and back. I was exhausted, but so proud! When I had taken my first sponge bath, I felt almost human. So many times, I'm being asked if I had passed gas. No, but sure wish I could. My first meal was like STEAK...after not having anything but water for over 90hrs! It was jello, and broth. My 7yr old granddaughter told me she wished she could have jellow and popsicle for breakfast like I did. :-) When I was given cream soup, and it didn't set well with me, and it made me vomit. So, back to the clear stuff until I passed gas, and I still hadn't had a bm. The day before I left, they took out the nose tube, which totally grossed me out, and it felt like my guts were coming with it! Yowee!
Forgot to mention....it's a family tradition that if anyone is in the hospital, that we take fun pictures, and not remember the yukky times. My sweet granddaughter had given me the cutest sunglasses earlier, and I decided to use those in my pics. All the staff were most gracious in my request to have a pic taken with them...after all, I am a scrapbooker!
I did not go home after leaving the hospital. The doctor was a bit leary because I explained to him that we live in a split foyer, and have a total of 14 stairs to go up, including the porch. He was relieved to know that I was going to stay in a handicap equipped room at the hotel where I work for a few days to just get my strength up. Hubby and I had thought that if I had used the other option...rehab place...then he wouldn't have been able to sleep in the same bed, come and go easy access, etc. I was very comfortable staying there. If anything happened, I know everybody there, and hubby is only 15min away at work. He had already taken so many days off already. One day, I did make a trip back to the doctor's. My incision had been seaping a bit more than usual, and I had this funky smell that really bothered me. I was put on an antibiotic, and nurse told hubby to be sure and use half peroxide/half water solution when changing dressings. Hubby is the most caring nurse ever!
It is so nice to be home, and I feel like I'm getting stronger each day. I sleep in the recliner, since our bed is a bit too high for me to get in and out of right now. I'm so proud of the way I can get up and down at the toilet, and in and out of the recliner. I take little walks from LR to kitchen, down the hall, and back. Tomorrow if it's nice enough out, hubby and I will take a walk down to the our mail box which is about 6 houses away. I take a stool softener, and the bm's now are very easy for me to manage. Sometimes I just sit down, water running at a trickle in the sink, magazine in hand, and then send up a little prayer! :-)
I have no urges right now to return to work, probably because I know what I'd be returning to! For now, I spend time flipping thru the tons of mags I have, watching tv (I'm loving those Judge shows), catching up and deleting all the programs I had on the Tivo. I had bought all the dvd's on Grey's Anatomy so I can catch up with my sister who is a nut for the show. One day, my granddaughter came over and we watched a selection of Disney movies. She and I are also Webkinz lovers, so we played for awhile on each of our sites.
I will be going for another doc visit in a few days. Don't know whether he will be taking the stapes out then or not.
I did receive the greatest news tho....doctor told me that from the results from pathology, I do not have to do any chemo or radiation treatments. HOORAY!! When I called my youngest sis in CA, we both cried together. She just had her last chemo treatment. She has lymphatic cancer, and is doing well, and hopefully her PETscan next week will have great news.
Sending healing hugs out to everyone.
xo
Unread 03-25-2008, 06:51 AM

Oh my Cygnet, you've sure been thru the mill! Sooo glad to hear that things are on the upswing and that you have family around.
So far, knock on wood, I've had no complications and can't begin to imagine what all you've been thru. And as I've said in every single post here, take your time! My doc is a bit "cavalier" as described by someone in his office so I expected to be back to work yesterday..my surgery was the day after yours. But a more conservative nurse practitioner did my first post op visit, just to check incisions, and we decided I shouldn't go back until April 6th.
Hooray for Cygnet!!! Joan
Unread 03-25-2008, 07:05 AM

Hi all-

Just checking in and it is good to hear that we are all on the mend. I had my first post op doctor visit last week and was cleared for driving and light housework. It is amazing what makes you feel tired. I have ventured out for a couple of hours on my own and came home very tired.

I am glad to hear that everyone had a pleasant holiday weekend. My weekend was somewhat busy, but made it through somewhat pain free.

I am starting a new job that is somewhat entreprenuerial so there is no real big hurry to get back to work(except having some money-lol). I am in no big hurry as I am tired even from being on a laptop during the day.

From what I can disern from everyone's posts all my aches and pains are normal healing. I am really glad to have found this site, as it is a way to know what I am feeling and experiencing is "normal". The one thing I wasn't expecting is the sudden surge of "hot flashes". I had some before, but recently they are increasing. Well, these too shall pass...I will take all of this new adventure one day at a time, as that is all any of us can do!

Hope all of you will have a healing restful day.

Dana 45
TAH kept ovaries
Unread 03-25-2008, 07:12 AM

Hang in there ladies we all sound like were getting around pretty good. Good on the Gas part walk slowly around a room in a circle/square it gets the gas moving and normally makes you let it out... that way it does not travel and get trapped. Driving... well I have 2 little ones and I only try to drive by myself. I don't think that it is safe yet to drive them, because I am a vol. firefighter and I am scared if I get in an accident I would not be able to get them out of the car. Dr visits are the highlight of our days right now so if your board then get your slippers on and walk around your back yard slowly... thats what I was told. I am dressed everyday now and I feel good except by 930 I am ready to go to bed. Enjoying the good weather before it turns to April showers... Day 25 yes I am sick of the house and ready for an island some where but that will not happen any time soon. I am looking forward to my 30th on the 30th I get to go to the Spa with my girlfriend for a facial and pedicure.

Enjoy your day and if you get board try the walk and if not just stand out side for fresh air.
L

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register