Hysterectomy dates Mar 03-Mar 10,2008 - Page 31 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Mar 03-Mar 10,2008 Hysterectomy dates Mar 03-Mar 10,2008

Unread 03-26-2008, 11:02 AM
Hysterectomy dates Mar 03-Mar 10,2008

And again..how alike and how different we all are! I find that my BEST time is the morning and as the day goes on, my insides (what's left anyhow!) gets heavier and heavier. By 4 ish I just want to lie down and hold my gut! I guess my bladder etc are all fighting over who's going where now that uterus, tubes, ovaries, cervix, lymph nodes are all gone!
Right now I"m listening to the end of a program on Henry VIII on one of the discovery channels I think. ..sure am glad we don't live it those times.
I was wondering if there is a difference in when you can have intercourse depending on which surgery you had? Or did I already ask that? Joan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-26-2008, 01:25 PM
hmmm

I wonder the same thing Joan..I know about the vaginal cuff..buy does that mean it is now a stop sign?? I asked my doc prior if anything would change in there and he said no. But i still cant help but think is there more or less room? I also asked about the uterine contractions for climaxing. He said i wont have that anymore ....or the pain that came with it..i guess i traded one for the other. So now i have to learn my body all over again?? Took many years!! LOL i dont know i'm so scared that even outer-sex scares me...but i do love the term thats great! I cant wait till i can use it. I still have to overcome the flinching of anything near there..but by all means keep me posted on all 411. Of course i'm in watching LMN..not feeling too hot today. Was cranky yesterday..told everyone its my normal pms week,my body is just forgetting..it would normally be cycle this week.Holy crap i just gave myself anxiety...realizing i wont get a period..WOW dont know if i wanna laugh or cry right now. k need to think. lots of hugges
Unread 03-26-2008, 01:33 PM

Hugs back to you..i'm having a pity party today..not even sure why. I'm 60...sure wasn't having periods...I did notice that one time when I stood up it was much easier! woo hoo..so there is progresss..only took 400 mg of ibuprofen..am warning nomal pants even tho I AM wearning men's boxer briefs! I think I like 'em!
and yes..wondering about the length of the vagianal tract. tiime will tell I guess! Joan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-26-2008, 03:18 PM

Thank you SweetPea35 for your beautiful caring words, and a big thanks to all the other ladies who have sent healing thoughts my way.
I'm looking forward to the doc appt tomorrow. Hopefully, maybe...the staples can come out. I will post again then to let you all know how it went, ok?
For now, I tend to get my energy bursts late at night...like after 11pm. But then again, I've always been a late night person. Today I took a few long cat naps. Didn't have any problems getting in and out of the recliner, but I am a bit concerned that I haven't had a bm since early yesterday. When I sit down on the toilet, I turn the water on at the sink just a bit. But, as we all know, you can only sit there for so long before everything starts falling asleep!!! :-) And that makes it VERY difficult to pull yourself up and off the toilet! I do take the stool softener, so maybe I'll have some luck before bedtime.
The last few days is when my incision has really been hurting. Sometimes, I guess I'm just used to it, so it doesn't seem to bother as much, usually tho it's when I'm just laying in the recliner. My incision sometimes feels like it's burning, and my whole tummy area kind of feels like it has a big helping of Ben Gay on it Does that makes any sense? I don't know how else to describe it. Someone had also posted about a numbing sensation. I have a numbing on the right side of my stomach, and my right thigh that has not gone away. One of the many questions I have for the appt tomorrow.
xo
Unread 03-26-2008, 07:46 PM

TAH 3/5. I don't remember my first day in the hospital. After that, well I was very uncomfortable. I was put on the pediatric ward for my stay. Maternity ward was FULL. I had my own room, so that was great. I woke with the flu my 2nd day. (My kids were sick too) I didn't eat anything at all till day 3, they told me I had to eat or I couldn't go home. So I had some soup and was released after a round of blood work to verify that my 102 degree fever was from the flu and not an infection. Very happy to be home!!!
I was prescribed percocets for pain not knowing I'm allergic to them. Nothing a little benedryl couldn't fix.

I have 3 children under the age of 6 at home who were so excited to see me that I was jumped on! I think I cried for nearly an hour. I've had my husband home with me the whole time, he goes back next week. He has been great. Friends and family have been a great help too. Member of my church provided all meals for the first 2 weeks.

All in all, I'm recovering well. Had a typical bladder infection. 4 rounds of antibiotics and it's finally gone!!! I didnt have a BM for an entire week post-op. I had no sensation to go to the bathroom either. (that just came back 3 days ago, WOOHOO!!!!) I had a big scare just last week, I woke and my legs were purple and burning. After leg scans, no blood clots. Very relieved and it only lasted 3 days.

I had my post-op yesterday! At 3 weeks, I'm doing GREAT! Im having a hard time with some things still.... especially with my 6 month old baby. So, Im just taking as easy as possible and praying for the best! I must honestly say, for me.... I feel better now than I did a month ago!!!!

To all recovering out there, I wish you the best!!!
Unread 03-26-2008, 11:14 PM

Hi Ladies
I feel like I am talking to old friends.
Day 19 TAH, I was waiting for the other shoe to drop because of all the week three set back stories. Today I had allot of discomfort on my left side above my hip bone. I laid down hoping it would go away, but it didn't. It seemed to hurt more when sitting and caused some shooting pain. Is this GAS or a BM? Neither it seemed. I went to Costco for an hour and my innards felt bloated and horrible. I had painful cramping across the incision area. I took Advil and am hoping it all goes away in the night. I wish I knew what was going on inside me exactly. I get the nerve ending pain, but what is the knifing gas pain and now hemorroids... Why does my bladder inform me I have to pee in a different way than before, will the old way come back. My skin still feels sunburnt and numb but not itchy yet, I guess this is a good thing.
I can't imagine going back to work, or standing all day, I would need a sling for my innards. I am getting full use of my yoga pants, I may try my sons boxers though, sometimes I swear I can feel the flower pattern on my girlie undies.
What is 'outside sex' really? Does it hurt, does it take long?
For all fo you with small children, way to go. It must be exhausting! I hope you get the rest you need.
I am all for a Pitty Party, will there be nap time too!
Have a good sleep Ladies!
Unread 03-27-2008, 05:20 AM
Post-Op Day 17

Good morning sisters,

Well I had another setback day yesterday. Felt very tired, my belly was sore, I had lots of different sensations inside, stabbing pain, tingling, burning, and my incision is super-sensitive. I tried to rest and was joined by a very concerned kittie who kept me company. Then I had a phone call so there goes the rest. I did very little the rest of the day, I did go for a short walk outside b/c it was so warm & beautiful. I made dinner but ended up in the recliner around 7:30 with ibuprofen, was in quite a bit of discomfort. When bedtime came about an hour later, I was fairly *****y when DH was trying to help me get situated. Then I couldn't fall asleep. Lights went out around 10 followed by the typical covers on-covers off drama. I did sleep pretty well until 5 when the alarm went off for DH to go to the gym. I layed there for a while, then got up about 5:45. I don't feel great right now but I don't feel horrible. My back hurts - it usually does - and I have taken more ibuprofen so hopefully I'll feel okay in a while. I have not heard about the test results from my urine culture but that seems to be doing much better. I am not too thrilled about having to take antibiotics so I'm crossing my fingers that it was just bladder spasms.

Cygnet, nice to see you post again. You will feel like a different person when you get those **** staples out!! I will continue to pray for your recovery.

I had my cervix removed so I also have a vaginal cuff. That's just the top of the vagina they closed and attached to the uterine ligaments to keep it up where it belongs. My understanding is that the vagina is a lot like the mouth - it is closed when nothing is inside but it can stretch to accomodate whatever is put inside. If your ovaries are gone there will likely be nothing to stimulate natural moisture so when it's time for sex, the best thing to do is lube, lube, lube!!! That always makes it more fun anyway, IMO. And you should be able to enjoy sex, but just ask DH to be gentle. My doctor told me no sex until 6 weeks but right now that's the furthest thing from my mind.

What I have noticed is that there is NOTHING coming out of me!!! For the first time in many years, no blood, no discharge, no odor. NOTHING! I feel like I have the cleanest coochie in the world. Now I have to figure out what to do with all these pads and tampons!! I'll probably take them to work and put them in the "emergency" basket in the ladies' room.

I'm hoping to do a little stamping today and continue to work on taxes. It rained earlier but hopefully it will clear up in a little while and be warm again. I do think I make things worse by sitting/laying around too much but I am trying to listen to what my body is telling me.

Wishing you a great day and healthy healing!
Unread 03-27-2008, 06:08 AM
Day 17 Post-OP: TVH, AP Repair, & Overlapping Anal Sphincteroplasty

Good Morning, Ladies:

Although still quite miserable I feel somewhat improved after the last several days of bleeding, weakness, fatique, etc. As long as I do not move....and I mean not even a slight move in bed the bleeding is kept to a slight trickle.

It seems that today's symptom du jour is the inability to pee. This goes back to the same 'ol problem I had a couple of weeks ago. I've had it all along but with all of the trouble I had with other things it wasn't noticed as much. I've mentioned it to every doctor I've seen in the last week and not one person felt it necessary to do a urine. I don't get that. Yet another thing that is waiting until my doc gets back. I've got a feeling she isn't going to be very happy when she gets back and realizes what I've been through.

Anyway....still don't have an appetite but I am drinking a lot. Fevers are kept away with a constant uninterrupted supply of 800 mg. of Motrin. Headaches are daily ranging from minor annoyances to almost migraines. I pray I do not get a migraine. I don't thinking uncontrollable vomiting will do me or my Va-Jay-Jay or my hiney any good at all. The quilt that used to be my private parts is showing definite stress.

Goal for the day: Get out of bed, downstairs to family and sit in recliner....all while trying desperately not to irritate that open wound so I don't bleed.
Unread 03-27-2008, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeniseS
As long as I do not move....and I mean not even a slight move in bed the bleeding is kept to a slight trickle.
By staying in bed you are putting yourself at risk of a blood clot. That is why patients are encouraged to get up as soon as possible after surgery. If you do find yourself confined to bed, you need to do some simple exercises to help prevent clots. These include: flexing your feet at the ankles, pointing your tows to your head as you are lying down, wiggling your toes, sitting on the edge of the bed and swinging your legs side to side....anything to keep blood from pooling. Getting up and walking, even slowly, will help. It's not enough to simply get out of bed and sit in a recliner. Do you have any TED stockings? Did they give you any in the hospital? If you are not mobile it will help to wear them. Please start moving around, even a little bit.
Unread 03-27-2008, 06:40 AM
what to wear???

I am getting full use of my yoga pants, I may try my sons boxers though, sometimes I swear I can feel the flower pattern on my girlie undies.

omg,,, you sure made me chuckle withat that flower pattern thing. I 've been to Target 3 times and Walmart once trying to find underwear that doesn't hurt either my row of incisions or my pubic bone area. I did end up with men's boxer briefs. I thought I was getting them big enough ( a size bigger than my waist) but discovered that I probably needed bigger..I had a TLH with the robot and they took everything so there's lots of space for the other stuff to relocate itself..which it seems to be doing. I got Hanes..the MIchael Jordan stuff..the pocket area seems to add some extra protection to my front that ladie's panties do not. Remember Petti Pants? they're what we wore under culottes back in the day as a slip of sorts. I was wearing a pair of those under jeans when I bought the michael jordans and I wondered if I was even going to get home because the petti pants were sooo thin that they really allowed the jeans to chafe. I put those boxers on and wow..what a difference. I got the knit ones..and I ahve really skinny legs to thelegs look very different on me than they do on the guy on the package! ...welll, truth be told, .everything looks very different!
Today might be a better day for all of us. Yesterday kinda was the pits. Joan

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register