Hysterectomy dates Mar 03-Mar 10,2008 - Page 41 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Mar 03-Mar 10,2008 Hysterectomy dates Mar 03-Mar 10,2008

Unread 04-02-2008, 05:39 AM
Post-Op Day 23

I've enjoyed reading the last day's worth of posts with my coffee... our experiences certainly range across the extremes. For those of you still struggling - try to stay positive. Posting here helps but try keeping another kind of journal so you can go back and read it and really see that you are making progress.

I had another good day yesterday. After coffee and making the bed, I got dressed and went to the gym. I walked on the treadmill for 20 minutes at 2mph. It felt GREAT. Then I did about 10 minutes of easy stretches. After coming home, showering, dressing, and having breakfast, I worked on our taxes and got them done. We have to pay a little fed and getting a some back from state so it's all good. Now that the burden of that is off my shoulders and I can focus on the next thing - stamp club.

I chatted with my friend with the baby yesterday and she invited me to come visit her. She lives about 90 minutes away in Cincinnati. So I am going Sunday morning and coming home Monday, maybe Tuesday if I want to stay longer. She said I could stay as long as I want. This is a friend whom I have known since she was 19 and I feel like I have helped raise her. She will be 36 this year. She is more like a daughter than a friend. When she told me last year on Mother's Day she was pregnant I felt more joy than I had in a very long time, flew to her side, and felt just like a grandma!! The baby is 4.5 months old and I can't wait to spend some quality time, just the three of us. So I have that to look forward to. The ride hopefully will be better than the jaunt to the in-laws on Easter, and this time I am driving, but I think it will be okay.

Today I need to do some laundry and empty the dishwasher. DH is also doing less and less b/c I have been able to keep up with the house the last week or so. Plus he has had a bad cold but has not taken any time off so in the evenings he's been pretty wiped out.

I did pretty good on food yesterday and today my weight is the same. It's supposed to be nice but cool so I may go for a little longer walk outside today. After DH gets home this afternoon we're going to the grocery store to pick up a few things. So I should get in plenty of activity.

I am also going to start making some phone calls today about estimates, carpet cleaning, and getting together with some friends now that I am feeling okay enough do those things. Plus those taxes were really hanging over my head, you know, just like that commercial with the guys on the backs of the guys who still needed to do their taxes.

Friday is my big transformation day - I am going to get my cut and highlight. I told people at work that when I came back I would look really different. I need to get it done now so that I am used to it before heading back to work. I also need to get a pedicure and fill-in on my nails. My friends from work said since I left the door to my office is always closed and my absence is really apparent with everyone constantly asking about me. I think the weekend before I go back I will start reading email - I think my password has expired by now - so I can be prepared and spend less time doing that. I am sure I will spend a lot of time being greeted and welcomed back by my friends that first day.

I know the next 2.5 weeks are going to zoom by. I have also enjoyed slumping around in yoga pants and my bathrobe and sweatshirts but I am ready to get back to my real life. It was a nice break but I am looking forward to doing my makeup and hair and looking great every day.

I am eligible to retire but I don't think I'm ready after this experience. I am beginning to crave the company and conversation of two-legged creatures, plus have some intellectual interactions and feel needed again.

I'm wishing you a day of great healing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2008, 05:47 AM
Hysterectomy dates Mar 03-Mar 10,2008

Congrats on a new day..it's sunny here for a change..oops..it changes soo fast here.
My big excursioin today is to the endodontist for a root canal..I know ..you all wish could you do this with me. I drove by his office for several years until just a few weeks ago I found out that all he does is root canals. egads.
I'm feeling pretty good. I've discoverd that the bandaid tape that overs my st itches that stick out (per the nurse) is causing skin issues. Ya just can't win with some of this stuff. I still have 2 more weeks before the 6 week check up and will just have to deal with those little picks. I think I see another one in the middle incision. Terrific.
Congrats to all you brave souls going back to work. I start on Monday but then will have the following week off...I imagine that I will really need it!
Hugs to you all Joan
Unread 04-02-2008, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexyladybuc
DeniseS

As for the clothes issue making some of you feel frumpy from lounging in sweats and stuff, it is pretty much usual for me. Not regular sweats, but I LOVE the sweat capris. I wear them all the time anyways. They really have so many different cute ones anymore. Even Walmart has some adorable ones for $10. I guess maybe because I have so many it doesn't bother me to wear them. I pretty much live in those, drawstring shorts and lowrise capris made with stretchy material. (denim, khaki, etc.) I am all about comfort. Of course looking cute doesn't hurt either.

Yeah, I am in Melbourne, FL. I have spent most of the last 4 weeks in jersey shorts and T Shirts. It used to be my standard fare, until I fell in love with jean shorts. If I have to go to work (2 days a week) or to church, I have 3 extrememly comfy dresses, so the clothes haven't been too much of an issue. The fact that the weather has been wonderful has helped alot! I was able to wear my jean shorts yesterday for a few hours. They weren't too bad. Caused a little swelly belly, but it was worth it to feel "dressed" again. Other than having some incision and sleeping issues, I am feeling great!

I kept my ovaries and was wondering just how they would react to all this. I started my period the day of surgery, so I knew where I was in my cycle. It turns out, my ovaries didn't miss a beat. I had all the right symptoms on the right days. And now that I am officially NOT having my period I am excited. Now instead of bleeding for two weeks, ovulating then having no libido--I get the other 1/2 half of my life back. That is the best part of all of this! I am sure hubby is going to be thrilled! When we decided to go for the surgery, I really felt like I was giving a gift to him, as well as myself. Now I just have to wait 2 more weeks for the doc to give her release!

Teresa
03/06/08 TAH kept ovaries
fibroids, adeno
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2008, 07:29 AM

Good Morning Group! I love reading this thread, seeing how all of you are feeling and handling things. I haven't gone back to work yet (Apr 21) but I'm afraid I'm going to have the the same problem as Marie. Opposite of Cygnet, I also work at a desk job and sitting for any length of time in one position just gets very uncomfortable! On the other hand, they can tell me at any given moment, that they're going to put me in a different area of the team where I'll be on my feet all day, and that doesn't sound appealing either. I'm still taking naps during the day because I get so worn out so easily. My job and commute are just about 12 hours a day, so I guess we'll see what the doctor says at my 6-week appt.

Meanwhile, here's to everyone feeling a little bit better every day!
Anne
Unread 04-02-2008, 07:32 AM

Hi ~ This is my first post. I had a TAH on 3-6 (kept ovaries). I have a bikini incision. This was my first surgery so I really didn't know what to expect. I wish I knew about this site prior to my surgery. I didn't expect recovery to be so difficult. I am 45 yrs old. I have been following everyone's progress. It has been extremely helpful to see that what I am experiencing is normal. This site has been a great help. I teach kindergarten and go back in 2 weeks. I miss my class dearly, but know that I am not ready to take on 25 5 and 6 year olds yet. I feel pretty good. My only discomfort is a sore belly. Sometimes it hurts to just touch it and other times it is okay. Does anyone else have the soreness on their stomaches? I do get swelly belly at night, especially if I do too much during the day. Monday, I went for a 1 mile walk and paid for it the rest of the day. I guess I should have taken it slower, but I am going nuts just sitting around. I have my first doctor's appointment on Friday. Well, thanks for listening. I feel like I know all of you just from reading your post.
Unread 04-02-2008, 10:07 AM

Hi J45,

I work in Akron, and live in greater Youngstown area, so I'm very familiar with Aurora.

You're surgery was the day after mine. Wonder if we were in the same hospital. I was in Akron. I actually got discharged on 3/6.

Glad you found us. You will find many women who are experiencing the exact same physical feelings and emotions that you are. I still get swelly belly as the day progresses. But I had the daVinci method, so I have 6 small incisions instead of one large one. They aren't painful, but the whole area feels sore sometimes. I know it is directly related to the activity I do either that day, or the day before. Actually what's bothering me more now is soreness in my right arm.

Keep reading...you're among friends
Unread 04-02-2008, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3toogetready
NoMo, I just saw where you are from, I am in Kaysville, we had surgery the same day, 4 week mark woohoo. I was looking forward to working in the garden soon, but the 3 inches of snow are a set back! Probably for the best. Maybe in the mean time my libido will make an appearance as it also seems to be missing, maybe went south to avoid the weather! Take care!
Yes, I keep hoping for a delayed spring so that the gardens won't get too far ahead of me! The kids are sick of the snow during their springbreak, but I just smile...

Is that where my libido went? I can't blame it. Oh well, as long as it returns with the robins...
Unread 04-02-2008, 10:23 AM
My 3-week update!

Hi, all....

Well, I'm back from my three week check. I'm on weekly checks. So I have to go back next week, too. Anyhow.....

Turns out that we were supposed to be continuing to pack the wound. We stopped doing it when the bleeding stopped. So I got poo-poo'd for that. She also poo-poo'd me for drinking too much juice. I thought I was doing better by not drinking iced tea by drinking juice but she said...."Nooooooo, drink water ONLY!" I knew better. ::::sigh:::: So the wound is getting better but there may be some cosmetic issues to deal with later on.

Turns out that I'll have to have a procedure later on to revise the perineum. Anyone see my thread...."Help, someone stole my perineum!" Well, I wasn't too far off. But I have to heal from this first then we'll move on to the cosmetic issues.

So, now I have to make sure that we keep the wound packed and I have to airdry as much as possible. So basically that's just more time in bed. I can't run around the house with my bottom exposed. Plus, I still can't sit or stand very long. She said reclining in bed is where I should be anyway because I shouldn't have any pressure on my "girly parts" while this healing is going on. She offered to take out a couple of more stitches, but I said, "no, thanks". Things aren't feeling too bad down there and I don't want to aggravate anything.

I asked if she was going to make me go back to work anytime soon. She said, "NOOOOOOO........I won't let you!" She has April 28th written on my disability form but she said that was only 'cause I said I can work part-time from home. Then if we have to do a revision, who knows. I'll think about that when the time comes.

She said she wants me to start drinking fiber, Konsyl twice a day. Once that kicks in she wants me to stop taking the stool softener. She said the Surfac can cause fevers....go figure. She said it's just one of those quirky side effects. She is also gonna try me on hormones for the emotional symptoms (thank goodness) and Permarin to help the wound healing down below. However, once I told her about my urinary symptoms she said not to pick up the prescriptions 'til she gets the UA back.

So down to the lab I went. Do you think I could pee at that point??? Of course not. So I drank two bottles of water and waited, and waited, and waited. Finally on the 5th trip to the bathroom I was able to go. It took so long that my husband went next door to the lab and gave blood. That was so frustrating.

Oh, I did get permission to drive as long as I'm not taking any narcotics, which I'm not. She said as long as I can put my foot on the break, I can drive. I still DH drive home. I was too tired and too sore from being pulled and poked.

So, now I'm back in bed "airing out" the very sore va-jay-jay and hiney. We'll see what the next week brings. :-)
Unread 04-02-2008, 10:27 AM
Back from doctor

Welcome J45-- You will find this site is very imformative and that we all have good days and bad days. I see you are also a teacher. See rest of note

Equinox-- Take care next week when you go back to work

GOOD NEWS--- no DVT. I got to see me regular PA. She really listened to me and explained some things. My leg cramping is probably due to being off for 3 weeks and then back on my feet. Even though I sat for most of the days, she thinks that I had edema that put pressure on the calf muscles. I lost another 2 pounds. She even said that my stomach looked sunken in except by the hematoma area. After all of this is through, she will address the weight loss issue. I for some reason have now lost 30 pounds in 8 months. Don't know why either. It is as if somebody turned on a switch inside me and I burn more calories. The only thing I have changed in the past year is I started eating breakfast. Go figure if that is all I needed to do I would have done that years ago. It also seems that I lost over 2 pounds overnite. I ate more yesteday than other days. I told her that I am just weird. She laughed and said that she couldn't put that as a diagnosis.

For you teachers out there, don't be surprised if your legs ache when you do go back to work. I guess I didn't realize how much walking we really do. And for you J45 please be careful because I think chasing little kids is far more taxing than 8th graders. I will return to school for a meeting today for TAKS prep and then back to work tomorrow. But through all this I have learned that if I have to take 1 day a week off until I fully recover, then I will. I actually feel great today. So being off these two days might have been the best thing for me. I only have a few state days left, but if I need to be docked in pay so be it.

Anyway it is beautiful here in South Texas and I have permission to sit outside. One of the best ways to get vitamin D. So I will reward myself with a cookie and some iced tea. Actually I think I hear the whole bag of oreos calling my name. So I think I will splurge. I will actually eat extra in honor of my DD. She is 19 today and since she is at college I can't celebrate with her, I will just have to eat her oreos also. MMMMMM...... This is going to be a great day.
Hope everyone is doing well. Oreos are calling.
Unread 04-02-2008, 11:21 AM
first time posting

Hi, this is my first post also!! I had my TAH on March 04/2008 and found this web site after, It has been a blessing... the info I have gotten from reading the posts have been awesome, it has calm me down more then a couple of times.....

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register