Hysterectomy dates Mar 03-Mar 10,2008 - Page 44 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Mar 03-Mar 10,2008 Hysterectomy dates Mar 03-Mar 10,2008

Unread 04-03-2008, 01:45 PM
Uti Or Bladder Spasms???

Is anyone else experiencing this??? I am 4 wks post-op and went to the Dr 2wks ago and he had said I had a UTI and have been on Cipro since it seem to help at first but for the last 2 days it seems like I have systoms of the UTI back again and I'm still taking the Cipro. I am so confused if this is a UTI or bladder spams???? I feel the urge to urinate and also have a burning feeling... can anyone help me with this...I feel so down because of it and just not sure what to do... I have called my Dr and I can not get in to see him until the 24th.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-03-2008, 01:47 PM
Hysterectomy dates Mar 03-Mar 10,2008

Hi Everyone,
I went to my doc appt today...I go for weekly appts for the time being.
I am happy to report...I am staple free! HOORAY! It does feel so much better having them gone, for sure!
When he asked me how I was doing, I pretty much broke down in tears. I told him that I felt so proud of myself that I had made a few meals for hubby, and cleaned off the counter, and the last two days I've loaded and unloaded the dishwasher. Doing those things totally wiped me out. I'm still not as steady on my feet as I would like to be, or hoped I would have been by now. I get dizzy if I'm standing for too long of periods. I will walk around the house for about 20min at a time, and if the weather is nicer, I will walk down the block and back. When he asked me why I was crying, I told him that sometimes I feel like I'm really doing good, then WHAM...I feel like a truck has hit me, and I have to rest. Am I being lazy, shouldn't I be feeling better than this by now? It can be so frustrating. He looked me straight in the eyes, and told me that I was doing great, and all people will heal differently. He was very stern, and told me NOT to put so much pressure on myself, and so what if I can't accomplish things, or finish things I used to be able to do very easily. Then he gave me a big smile and hug.
He has kept me on antibiotics because I still have an infection in one of the openings, but it's getting better. He also gave me a prescription for some powder that will clear up the bad yeast infection that developed under both of my breasts. It's not itchy, but a bright red rash that stings a bit.
I asked for status statement for work, and he filled out the form that says for my return to work to be on or about Apr 28th. Before I left, I had asked the receptionist to please fax this paperwork to my work so my boss can have it asap. This would save my hubby from stopping by there. He has been such a sweetheart. Last night, he gave me a real nice foot bath, and clipped my nails (can't reach down there yet). He said he will arrange for me to have a pedicure along with our daughter. Her bd is coming soon, and today is my hubby's bd. I made him a card, and gave him an IOU for a nice dinner out this weekend.
Sending out hugs to all....
xo
Unread 04-03-2008, 02:03 PM

At the risk of practicing med without a license..this is what I've found out from various sources. Bladder spasms are not uncommon. I thought I had a UTI and the immediate test looked like I had a "just barely there" infection so my primary put me on levaquin and the stuff that makes you P orange because it helps with the spasms. A few days later, the dr's office called to tell me that I did not have a UTI but had to continue the anibiotic because I could become immune to it if I stopped too early. the orange stuff did help but when I finished the 2 days worth, it felt the same...hence bladder spasms.
Today I found out that there is a weaker version of the same drug available over the counter. I bought some, took some..and it hasn't been long enough for me to have an opinion. I can't give you the name because it's downstairs and too far to move at this point.
It's been 4 weeks since my surgery and I'm tired of the ouchiness of P'ing. I don't see the surgeon (or someone in that office) for another 2 weeks so hopefully this will be gone by then. If not, I will ask for a script for Detrol LA . hugs to you all! Joan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-03-2008, 03:19 PM
It's been a GREAT day!

Hi again sisters,

Well I had a great day even though I was tired from the moment I got up.

After coffee I got dressed and went to the gym in the pouring rain. I did 20 minutes on the treadmill, then about another 20 minutes of 5lb hand weights, just doing arm work, while seated on a weight bench. Dr did not clear me to do that but I was very careful to keep it all above the waist. It felt GREAT to finally start getting some real exercise in though I looked longingly at the Cybex machines as though they were a lover I could not have... *SIGH*

After that I ran to the store to get some ingredients for tonight's dinner with DS, I came home to have a healthy breakfast, shower, got dressed, and made the bed. I read a little bit, then went to get a MUCH needed pedicure. It really did me good!! I ran a couple more errands and came home. I'm still tired but didn't have any pain to speak of from my incision.

I think I know why I had some pain and didn't feel well yesterday evening, in addition to the big pants rubbing on my belly. I forgot to take my regular medication yesterday which includes a pain reliever for musculoskeletal pain that I have all the time and two diuretics for my blood pressure. So I think not having any pain reliever on board, plus additional fluid in my tissues, probably played a part in my discomfort. I took everything I was supposed to today, plus I ate healthy and drank my water, and I'm feeling much better.

Tonight is my DH's game night so DS and I are going to make dinner together. We are recreating a meal we had at a Thai restaurant over the weekend so we're having spring salad rolls, thai basil chicken, and jasmine rice. Plus I got a half chocolate pound cake, and I have some strawberries, cool whip, and slivered almonds. I think I might make parfaits with that - doesn't that sound good??

One thing I have noticed after my surgery is I am craving chocolate like crazy. I always loved chocolate but now I am obsessed by it.

Oh, and last night I bought something called BioOil for scar therapy. Mederma was WAY too expensive, and you had to use it 3-5 times per day. This is twice per day. It was less expensive and it smells really good. My scar is looking and feeling much better but I'm still honkerblonked at my Dr for not doing the tummy tuck and scar straightening he promised. He will hear about it when I have my 4-week post-op exam a week from today on the 10th.

I am having lunch with a friend tomorrow before my hair appointment so that should be fun. Tomorrow afternoon I need to get some other things done, and DH and I are going out to dinner. Hope he won't be shocked by my hair!!!

You know even when I felt like crap I posted, and all of you should too. You never know if someone else is lurking and we know it helps when we know we're not alone in our suffering, what is normal, what to expect. Lord, we just need to remember that we can't just hop up and get back to life as usual. If I learned anything from this experience is we need to err on the side of caution, listen to our bodies and our doctor (yes I know I didn't 100%), and give ourselves some time, even though we aren't used to doing that. We won't regret it in the end.

Cygnet, so glad to hear your staples are gone!! Makes a huge difference, doesn't it?

Okay, need to play with my Webkins and then start dinner. Have a wonderful evening and a restful night and I'll check in with you lovely princesses tomorrow!!

Unread 04-04-2008, 09:17 AM

Morning Princesses.

Hope your Friday is going well. Another week into recovery! Yahoo! I was able to wear my jeans for a few hours two days this week. It was so nice! They weren't super comfy, but okay for a little while. Although, it's nice that today is a stay at home day so I can wear some jersey shorts--once I get some clean! Running around in my bath robe right now. I am getting several movies in from Netflix today, so am looking forward to a couchy weekend. This morning, I went to the gym, did 45 minutes on the treadmill. I'd love to get on the elliptical, but don't think the internal stitches or abs could handle that. I feel like I am about 80% recovered. But I feel like I'll be there for awhile. That's okay. By the yard it's hard, by the inch it's a cinch!!

Praying for a pain free day and a sleep filled night for all of you!!!

teresa
03/06/08 TAH (kept ovaries) fibroids/adeno
Unread 04-04-2008, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttsmurphy81
Morning Princesses.

Hope your Friday is going well. Another week into recovery! Yahoo! I was able to wear my jeans for a few hours two days this week. It was so nice! They weren't super comfy, but okay for a little while. Although, it's nice that today is a stay at home day so I can wear some jersey shorts--once I get some clean! Running around in my bath robe right now. I am getting several movies in from Netflix today, so am looking forward to a couchy weekend. This morning, I went to the gym, did 45 minutes on the treadmill. I'd love to get on the elliptical, but don't think the internal stitches or abs could handle that. I feel like I am about 80% recovered. But I feel like I'll be there for awhile. That's okay. By the yard it's hard, by the inch it's a cinch!!

Praying for a pain free day and a sleep filled night for all of you!!!

teresa
03/06/08 TAH (kept ovaries) fibroids/adeno
Teresa!

I love that phrase at the end about yards and inches - so true! I am about 4 1/2 weeks out and just the last day or so feel like I've turned a corner. I actually walked my dog for the first time this week. The first time was pathetic! Around the block in 20 min, shuffling and feeling like something was painfully sticking me in the privates. Then yesterday and today, miraculously, no pain and able to double my distance with only 5 min. more. That's progress! Still seems like it's one day on, one day crash. Even though I've been driving for several weeks now, it's still a killer getting in and out of the car - feels like I'm tearing or ripping my bottom - but I checked and all looks ok. Hopefully when the stitches dissolve that'll go away. Hard to believe I'm going on 5 weeks - for doing nothing the time has truly flown by. Best wishes and prayers to all for continued health, mental sanity and progress!
Unread 04-04-2008, 10:23 AM

I am feeling quite yucky today myself. Today is the first day since Sunday that I haven't been shopping/having tests/running around. I think I have worn myself out. I just got out of the shower and that was enough for me. I felt really weak just bending over to shave my legs. Anyone else experiencing anything like this? I am guessing my exhaustion is from taking on too much over the last 5 or so days. I have assured my husband that while he is at work I will not do anything but lounge around today. He reads me the riot act if I do too much. Especially since I have 4 kids that can do it. Little does he know that I have BIG plans for him and the kids this weekend.

My monkeys are off for spring break starting tomorrow. I don't know if that is a blessing or not. I love them dearly and they are wonderful children, but with the 4 of them there can be a lot of bickering going on if ya know what I mean! I've got a few crafty things planned that 3 of them will like, but other than that I don't really have much planned. Well, I do plan on them getting their closets and rooms organized. I think I might be dreaming on that one.

I hope everyone has a great weekend.
Unread 04-04-2008, 10:36 AM

Hi Gals, like most of you one day I'm feeling great and the next day I can stay in bed all day with pain killers. Hopefully at this point we are all on the down side of the hill. I have went shopping twice with help and last night got out and went to a baseball game. It was kind of strange to rejoin civilization again. At first staying home made me crazy but now I am really used to it and love it. And not being able to spring clean is driving me crazy! Best Wishes to you all. northwest35
Unread 04-04-2008, 03:14 PM

45 minutes on the treadmill??? Oh there is light at the end of the tunnel. Can't imagine that at this point, but seeing your surgery was the same day as mine, I'm thinking, all right! You go girl. Maybe this will be me a week from now (I can dream...). Doing more this week....but also taking more naps to compensate. How will it be going back to work on Monday? I just don't think I can predict that until I'm there. Hoping for the best.
Unread 04-04-2008, 06:47 PM

I'm not sure if I have ever gazed longingly at Cybex machines, although I can definitely relate to the fact that I miss exercising. Today I woke up feeling like I just wanted to run for a while - lift some weights - do SOMETHING... I'm doing some moderate walking but sometimes feel guilty for not doing enough - but it is still just too soon to do too much - still feeling achy and some pain. Yesterday, I tried to do a few of my old dance moves (ha!) and something twisted in my lower abdomen - I just feel like I have to get to know my body all over again. I still have this weird swelling/pain just behind my pubic bone at the end of the day. It's hardly ever there in the morning. Anybody else experience something like this?

I started back at work this week and also started grad school. Jumped right in and even though I love teaching and I love learning, I keep needing to remind myself to take it slow and be patient. One of the weird things that has happened since my surgery is that I have lost sensation on a specific area of my left leg. The doc said that sometimes happens when lymph nodes are removed and it will take some time to heal. It's just weird - has anyone else had this happen?

I, too, thought I had a UTI last week - went to the doctor and the tests came out fine - no meds were prescribed. But, it still hurt to pee! Frequent urination, and heavy and painful I started taking a tea of (4 parts) slippery elm bark and (1 part) comfrey bark - and after a few days I was good to go! (by the way, I am totally not an herbalist or a physician, but I am just saying this worked for me) This experience has definitely helped me dive back into learning more about herbs. I have been putting straight lavender essential oil on my scars the week after my surgery (I am lucky to just have the smaller scars from my robotic surgery, but they are still definitely weird looking) - anyway, the lavender oil really seems to speed up the external healing process.

I was so glad to see that everyone is still posting - nice to catch up on how all of you are doing. Remember, we are still the princesses! Be patient with yourselves and give yourselves the TLC you need. (I'll try to remember to do the same.)

Hugs-
Jeannie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register