Hysterectomy dates Mar 03-Mar 10,2008 - Page 46 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Mar 03-Mar 10,2008 Hysterectomy dates Mar 03-Mar 10,2008

Unread 04-05-2008, 07:14 AM
To Crate or not crate that is the question

Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox
Little Stamper..you always make me feel so good! you are so upbeat and positive...and you are always doing something that's interesting!
And yes...Jeannie..I have an LLBean backpack with wheels and I've broken at least 4 of those crates on wheels..the current one has bungi cords wrapped around it! I always try to get too much into everything. My purse weighs a ton as well...actually it may be over the "don't lift anything over 5-10 pounds " rule. I think that we will be doing animated films so that I will only need to carry the cameral and the tripod. The other stuff should be in the classrooms.
enjoy the sun!!! Joan

Just wondering, Have you thought how you are going to get the crate in and out of the car. My purse weighed 9 and a half pounds. That meant no diet soda and purse. I bought a new smaller purse. Diet soda is still my drug of choice. Anyway. If you are pulling the crate, it is still probably over your weight limit, especially getting it in and out of the car. Of course most of my students are happy to carry my books because they would rather have me than a sub. Please be careful equinox, cause the first day back you will want to go home and just sleep. I still get tired and need to sleep more.

On another note, Little stamper I love your post. they are great for a smile and always upbeat even through your pain. You are great for our moral.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2008, 07:26 AM
Hysterectomy dates Mar 03-Mar 10,2008

Yes..I had thought about getting the stuff in and out of the car...hubby will have to do it at home...and getting it out will be easier..i hope. But putting it in at school will be a chore. My aide is there at the end of the day on Monday so she will help. Tues and Wed I'm at the same school so Tues night is not a prob. thurs is going to be the big problem..it's a big middle school..inner city..hardly any handicapped parking..and even that is NOT near a door! Fri I will have an aide again. So ya..I have dreaded that part..and have tried for years to carry less around with me..not doing so well in that dept!
woo woo Joan
Unread 04-05-2008, 07:48 AM

Chiaroscuro, my surgery was the day before yours and I know exactly how you feel. Just mentioned it to the b/f here. Feeling better, diahrrea seems to finally (thankfully!) be over, but still have this weird clear discharge when I'm not having the other. Getting used to new internal situation I guess. Hopefully it goes back to the old routine. No bladder problems. I do have another problem with my tailbone, but I'm going to start a new thread for that one. As for the sex thing, well that's kind of a moot point for me as the b/f has 'problems' in that area due to severe diabetes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2008, 07:50 AM

The dr didnt put me on any estrogen yet either. So I know how you feel. The hot flashes I tolerate, but can't stand them at night, and I wake up almost every hour sweating to death, I miss sleeping straight thru the night. My mood seems normal, I have my crying spells, or irritated spells, but I was like that before... well during pms. (oh, i had my ovaries taken out)
Its interesting how drs are different. Mine said that there really isnt a threat of breast cancer when taking estrogen, but if you are taking a progestin & estrogen, there is a tiny risk. He said the studies aren't accurate, and that if you have family history or have the genes, then your risk of breast cancer is there whether you take hormones or not.
I think he was trying to put me at ease, because being only 32, he says I do need to be on estrogen at some point. ( I trust him, only because I have worked in the medical field & know some of the statistics and studies)Hopefully I end up on a very small dose of estrogen, since I am doing pretty well w/o it right now.
Goodluck to you all
Unread 04-05-2008, 08:07 AM

Well, Joan, I guess my idea of having your students, get your things is out of the question. Even before my surgery I had the kids bring my heavy things in and out of the car for me. They always love the chance to run outside. Being from a small school has its advantages.
Well, the sun is out and the snow pack is starting to recede from around the house. Ladies, do not try and rake! I thought I could just rake up the dead leaves and things that accumulated over the winter in my front flower garden. Ow, ow, ow. I've been vacuuming and sweeping since week 1, but this is much harder on those stomach muscles.
I'm scheduled to go back to work on Monday & I'm feeling a little nervous about it. I know I'll be tired. In our school we all volunteer to help with various activities after school. No, I will not be able to help with the track meets this year or work concession stands or help with ticket sales. I think a full day of work will be all I can handle. In fact, I'm just hoping I can handle the full day. It wouldn't be a problem if I needed some half days, except it would matter to me. I just hope I don't cry at work. I've tried to prepare my friends by reminding them that I am now suffering from what I call " a case of the sht's". Sht stands for "sudden hormonal termination". They all laughed when I told them, but will they be laughing if I burst into tears and throw them out of my office? I think not. I hope it doesn't happen, but just in case I think I'd better lay in a supply of apology notes. I could have some pre-written! Dear ______________, I'm sorry I said _____________ to you. Please forgive me.
Well, enough lounging around. Thank you all for continuing to post on a regular basis. Even when I don't post, I really enjoy reading the entries. I am so encouraged by everyone's progress. Day by day, gals.

TAV/BSO Bladder repair
Unread 04-05-2008, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizfish
Well, Joan, I guess my idea of having your students, get your things is out of the question. Even before my surgery I had the kids bring my heavy things in and out of the car for me. They always love the chance to run outside. Being from a small school has its advantages.
Well, the sun is out and the snow pack is starting to recede from around the house. Ladies, do not try and rake! I thought I could just rake up the dead leaves and things that accumulated over the winter in my front flower garden. Ow, ow, ow. I've been vacuuming and sweeping since week 1, but this is much harder on those stomach muscles.
I'm scheduled to go back to work on Monday & I'm feeling a little nervous about it. I know I'll be tired. In our school we all volunteer to help with various activities after school. No, I will not be able to help with the track meets this year or work concession stands or help with ticket sales. I think a full day of work will be all I can handle. In fact, I'm just hoping I can handle the full day. It wouldn't be a problem if I needed some half days, except it would matter to me. I just hope I don't cry at work. I've tried to prepare my friends by reminding them that I am now suffering from what I call " a case of the sht's". Sht stands for "sudden hormonal termination". They all laughed when I told them, but will they be laughing if I burst into tears and throw them out of my office? I think not. I hope it doesn't happen, but just in case I think I'd better lay in a supply of apology notes. I could have some pre-written! Dear ______________, I'm sorry I said _____________ to you. Please forgive me.
Well, enough lounging around. Thank you all for continuing to post on a regular basis. Even when I don't post, I really enjoy reading the entries. I am so encouraged by everyone's progress. Day by day, gals.

TAV/BSO Bladder repair
For your apology notes.....you can buy some HysterSister note cards for this. I think that is a great idea! I'm going to keep that in mind. :-)

Good luck to all of those returning to work on Monday. I'm living vicariously (sp?) through you all.
Unread 04-05-2008, 08:56 AM
We're all doin' just great!

Well, just listen to us! We are just full of good humor today...and doesn't it feel just great???
I vaccuumed yesterday..it didn't hurt and of course the floor looked a whole lot bettere...DH just doesn't notice that stuff.
A few days ago I started to muck out my poor horse's stall. I just did one wheelbarrowful..one small load..but it felt soo good. Today I imagine I can get it started too. Taking off his winter blanket is a chore but I've done that too. Obviously I'm much more interested in taking care of him than the house.
I just washed my winter riding pants..that I've really only used a few times. They cost a week's pay and I just love them so I WILL wear them even when it's 70 degrees out! My legs will just have to sweat in the fleece!
Is there any hope that since I was already post menopausal that I will go back to being chilly all the time instead of roasting? Hugs to all...Joan
Unread 04-05-2008, 11:52 AM

woo-woo!
Pre-written apology notes- Ah-hah! Mizfish, you're a genius... (By the way, have you all noticed how many of us are teachers?)
J
Unread 04-05-2008, 12:35 PM
One back to work strategy

Everyone sounds so much better than before, even those with complications are progressing! I started walking inside the house for 5 minutes 3 times a day and am now up to 2-3 miles outside once or twice a day. It's one way to release extra energy without touching the forbidden vacuum!

I will be back to work (virtual from home) on the 9th. Handsome hubby & I have developed a strategy for when I travel to the office 160 miles away the week after. The place where I spend the night isn't luggage cart accessible and I cannot leave the laptops in the car. 85% of laptops stolen from my employer are stolen from vehicles, even in attached garages, and one is stolen every day. It is a reprimandable offense to fail to secure their equipment from theft...

Our big plan is when I drive there Sunday night, go straight to the nearby office, park on the same level as the rear entrance or the skybridge (no stairs ramps to go up or down that way), and use the luggage cart to haul laptops, peripherals, notebooks, etc. into the building and put them in a locked storage area or cabinet.

Now, the bag I carry usually weighs 15-20 pounds, and I have only been released to carry up to 10. So... On leaving home (no ramps) I will hand carry gear to the car in 2 trips, about 10 pounds apiece. Having mostly planned ahead, changes of clothes and some canned food is already inside the house where I will spend the nights. (I house sit for my grandparents until they are able to sell the place, as they don't live there any more and want it to look occupied.)

At the office parking garage, the luggage cart comes out first, then the computer bag MINUS the laptops (10 pounds even). The bag with peripherals & notebooks should be less than 10 pounds at this point Set the bag on the cart. Then load the laptops in the bag. Tighten the straps that secure the bag to the cart. Roll on into the building and to my desk, remove the laptops from the bag and place in the storage area, then remove the bag from the cart. Remember to leave the cart at work in case there is a need to carry the laptop & peripherals to another building or meeting room.

As I am still working on eating healthier, I usually carry in my own food from home, yogurt, granola, homemade soups & casseroles, etc. Not this time, too much to carry up & down the stairs at the grandparents' house. Don't want to make 10 trips! I plan to eat breakfast & lunch in one of the cafeterias at work and for dinner, eat the food already stashed in the grandparents' house. Canned salmon, popcorn, and ice cream ought to do it! Assuming my relatives haven't helped themselves while I was away ;-)

Next appointment isn't until the 23rd, <sigh>. Weight restrictions for work are in effect until May 15, not a huge deal with my desk job.

(TMI) Other than an occasional bulge in my perineal area, BMs seem to be normal, in fact better than before surgery. I think the fibroids interfered with bowel function, as there used to be lots of frequent small diameter, loose stools. The bulge seems to occur when I have spent too much time on my rear end instead of walking, and a little hand pressure there makes passing the BM move along smoothly LOL!

(More TMI) My bladder is working wonderfully too, much better than before. Now instead of needing to pee every half hour during the day while drinking coffee or water, it's a couple of hours. And now, instead of 3 trips to the bathroom during sleep time, it's *no* trips until morning. It has been many years since I could hold my bladder all night, so many that I didn't realize how bad it had gotten until after the surgery. I had worried that I was losing bladder control, and all the kegels in the world didn't really fix it, although they did reduce leakage, as did losing 52 pounds.

For the bladder normalization and for the relief from daily pain, I am delighted with the results of the surgery. They could have provided more information regarding BMs and when to use laxatives, etc. Lucky me, I had my sisters to provide advice ahead of time!

The pain and having to plan my life around the nearest bathroom is what made me move forward from my old "wait & see, maybe menopause will come along" stance. My age and desire not to have repeated treatments are what led me to choose hysterectomy. My gramma was still hot flashing in her 60s and I didn't feel I could wait much longer for menopause to fix the fibroids -maybe fix- . If I were younger and wanted to increase my family size I may have chosen treatment instead of hysterectomy. We all made the decisions we did for different reasons, willingly or not, and I think we are all coping wonderfully well with the changes that came to us. I am glad my shallow character hasn't been tested as much as some of our sisters who are great examples of grace and patience in adversity! I hope all of my sisters continue to improve and are feeling wonderfully well this time next year! -Wendy

(TVH age 47 kept ovaries)
Unread 04-05-2008, 07:10 PM

Hi ladies! I survived my first week back at work (at the 4 wk point). I have a desk job, but it is amazing how much energy we expend sitting at a desk! I was totally wiped out by the end of the day (which I ended early). Came home and changed into a nightgown right away, spent the evening on the couch watching tv. By the end of the week, I could tell I was getting stronger and not as tired. I think, no matter when you go back, the first week is tough. So my advice is to take it slooooow and continue to take care of yourself.
- Marie
LAVH 3/3

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register