It's been 2 years | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - No Hormones - Managing Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

It's been 2 years It's been 2 years

Unread 04-24-2020, 08:41 PM
It's been 2 years

It has been a super long time since I've posted, mainly because I had forgotten about this site! Today marks 2 years since my total hysterectomy and double oophorectomy. I don't feel much different, but there are some things.

6 months after my TLH I had to have my gall bladder and appendix removed. Like 6 months to the day.

I don't care to have sex. My husband doesn't seem to mind. He works alot so he's exhausted most nights. But on the occasions that we do, it's painful. I feel like my insides are ripping apart. At least at first. It's almost like losing my virginity again. On the plus side, I no longer bleed after sex!

The insomnia has gotten worse. I will sleep a total of 6 hours in a 3 day period. Then I'll sleep for 24 hours. Literally I can barely get out of bed to use the bathroom.

Hot flashes are a constant, especially at night or after I've eaten. I live in Nebraska and slept with my window cracked in my bedroom most of the winter. My husband wasn't a happy man in the mornings. He would be frozen and I'm laying on top of the blankets sweating.

Mentally, I'm doing ok. I don't feel the sense of loss. My family was complete. On the other hand, I miss having the option. Especially with so many people I know getting pregnant and having babies. Then again, only 9 more years until my youngest is off to college!

My Dr says this is all normal, even after 2 years. They still are against putting me on any type of HRT. I'm still OK with this.

I was informed that no matter what I'll always have endometriosis. Not sure that's true since I literally have nothing. My uterus, ovaries and cervix are all gone.

I don't know, everything seems fairly "normal" according to my doctor. I don't have unusual amounts of hair growing in places that it didn't before. My skin has stayed the same, I honestly don't feel much different than before, except the excruciating pain on my lower abdomen is gone. I have no more periods, which I'm happy about. Now the only things I deal with are being tired constantly, no sex drive, hot flashes, and the fact I don't have a gall bladder or appendix anymore has led to a different view on eating.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-25-2020, 11:55 AM
Re: It's been 2 years

Wow! Those symptoms are severe and it sounds like A LOT has changed since the hyst/BSO! A lot of hot flashes and night sweats, insomnia and painful sex, which even if you never have sex again you can have a lot of pelvic issues arise from loss of estrogen, like extreme dryness, prolapses and leakage. Those vaginal tissues need estrogen and not any kind of lubricant can restore those tissues but vaginal estrogen which is extremely low dose. It's great to not have the extreme pain for endometriosis but it sounds like you traded that pain for a lot of things that could be helped with some estrogen like a patch or a gel. There are physicians out there that are very knowledgeable about hormones and endo and they don't want women needlessly suffering. Your doctor's opinion is not correct when he says it's the new normal and you just have to live that way. If he had to live like you with barely any sleep and hot flashing constantly I can assure you he would do what needs to be done and find a way to get some estrogen in his system! It breaks my heart that some doctors have this dated way of dealing with female concerns. Gynecologist are usually great surgeons but don't focus on the after care of women once they remove their ovaries and most are simply not trained in hormone use. The female body needs estrogen until it dies especially if you've had your ovaries removed! I hope you can find someone to help you so you don't have to just exist in life but thrive!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register