Should I chose a Hysterectomy if Not Physically needed? Advice please | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Should I chose a Hysterectomy if Not Physically needed? Advice please Should I chose a Hysterectomy if Not Physically needed? Advice please

Unread 04-29-2021, 01:12 AM
Should I chose a Hysterectomy if Not Physically needed? Advice please

Hello everyone I'm new and have a question. If you could avoid a hysterectomy - would you?

My gynae has given me the choice, to either have a laparoscopic hysterectomy - or have surgery to cure my uterine issue (c-section scar that hasn't healed correctly). I've previously had a polyp removed as well.

My head's in a whirl trying to decide whether to ask for just the repair job and keep my uterus, or have the hysterectomy to fix it & prevent any more issues down the track.

If you have any thoughts to share from your own experience of hysterectomy I'd love to hear them - thank you in advance for any help xx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-29-2021, 04:58 AM
Re: Should you choose a hysterectomy if its not physically needed?

I guess this depends on your age and whether you are done with having a family? Also does your surgeon say if the fix is a sure solution? Or will you be in the same boat again down the track? I’m 6 days post surgery and for me there was no choice. It’s something I’d happily do again in a heart beat under the same circumstances.
Unread 04-29-2021, 05:50 AM

a hysterectomy is major surgery removing an organ. does he want to remove your cervix and ovaries also? while most women do well with the surgery, there are plenty that have issues and some are life long. i wouldn't have a hysterectomy unless absolutely medically necessary. and if i did decide to do it, i wouldn't let my cervix or ovaries be removed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-29-2021, 07:19 AM

I wanted to keep my uterus and had an alternative treatment instead. Fortunately this resolved the problem. It was important to me to try to save my uterus.
Unread 04-29-2021, 11:35 AM
Re: Should I chose a Hysterectomy if Not Physically needed? Advice please

Every one that has responded has made very important valid points. I believe you need to get more specific info from your present doctor, as well as, seek other medical opinions.
I had no choice because of pre-cancer cells, but I would have wanted the least invasive option.

Here is an article you may find interesting:
Alternative Treatments

I applaud you for giving this surgery heavy consideration as there will be consequences whatever you decide. Make the best decision for you.

Best of luck. Take your time and research procedures and doctors ❤️
Unread 04-29-2021, 03:51 PM

If the issues which lead me to my hysterectomy had shown their hand earlier, I likely would've sought alternatives first. As Dressedup says, some women have lingering issues (some of those are chronic), and a few may have an oddball issue later on which most avoid. Such as was the case with me.

Mind you, I have no regrets and would do it again given the circumstances, but it's not to be thought of casually or with the idea that getting past it is like getting over a stomach bug.

Unread 04-29-2021, 05:05 PM

Thank you to you all for your helpful replies!!! you are confirming how careful I need to be.

cussette - thanks for sharing your experience. I do take this decision very seriously because past surgeries have shown me problems can start showing up a long time afterwards (as has been the case with my c-section).
olivemire - i've had my kids and I'm 49 so that time's done.
dressedup - the gynae gave me a choice of keeping cervix and ovaries or just ovaries if I decided to have a hysterectomy.
Sisterduke - I'm glad your alternative procedure worked for you, thats great.
Marciamae - thanks for the link, I'll check that out!

I was told by my gynaecologist that the recovery is the same for both procedures (repair vs hysterectomy) but I don't see how she could know what recovery feels like without having had the procedures done herself. also I cant imagine how removing important organs from your body could be the same over time as leaving them there.

For the repair job - I can only find two patient stories on the whole web (because its quite a new and rarely-done procedure). But I contacted one of them by email, she said her recovery was very easy and quick. She is in her 20s and I'm nearly 50 so i might not have such an easy time myself, but that did sound promising. The result for this procedure like anything is not guaranteed but based on my symptoms i think it would work very well.... of course there are also risks of pelvic organ damage, adhesions etc.... but again, at least my organs are still there and not cut out.
Unread 04-29-2021, 05:19 PM

PS - I do have a 3rd option actually, which is to do nothing and just wait for menopause to kick in. Menopause will stop the problem by stopping menstruation. i just dont know how long I've got to wait... if i was menopausal at the same age as my sister, i'd have 6 years to go.

I should explain, my problem is that a small pouch developed in my uterus (in my c-section scar) where blood & mucus gets caught. it causes unusual discharge, very painful periods and extended bleeding and cramping with periods ... essentially half the time I am bleeding (lightly mostly) and needing pain pills and hot packs for my tummy

I already tried the mirena IUD to help, it dealt with the pain and bleeding but caused terrible mood swings and depression, i couldn't tolerate it and had to have it removed after 6 months. So drugs to stop periods are out for me
Unread 04-30-2021, 03:55 AM
Should I chose a Hysterectomy if Not Physically needed? Advice please

When my fibroids were first diagnosed back in 2006, the plan was to simply keep an eye on them, with the hope that they would shrink with menopause. In 2014, on the cusp of my 48th birthday, with menopause still several years away, a routine ultrasound showed that the largest one had grown to the size of a jumbo grapefruit, and was pressing on my bladder, causing issues with frequency, urgency, and leakage if I didn't make it to the bathroom on time, and so my doctor pulled the trigger on surgery. The surgery was done laparoscopically, and I was able to keep my cervix and ovaries, but I did have my Fallopian tubes removed because recent studies suggest that ovarian cancer often starts there. The surgery and my recovery were relatively uncomplicated, and then I went through natural menopause at age 51. I agree with the others that you should continue to do your research, so you can decide on what's best for you. Best wishes for whatever you decide!
Unread 05-03-2021, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzywife View Post
PS - I do have a 3rd option actually, which is to do nothing and just wait for menopause to kick in. Menopause will stop the problem by stopping menstruation. i just dont know how long I've got to wait... if i was menopausal at the same age as my sister, i'd have 6 years to go.
I was 53 when my doctor took me off the birth control pill, I was 53 and supposedly menopausal. However, that's when I started bleeding way more and irregularly, and the fibroid which had been 5cm for years doubled in size to 10cm and acquired a bunch of roommates. If I was menopausal, the fibroid should've shrunk - or at least that's what's accepted in gynecology. Maybe I wasn't menopausal, or maybe my fibroid bucked the medical community and didn't shrink as it was supposed to. Whatever the reason, my doctor recommended the hysterectomy and by that time in my life, I was fine with it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register