Ladies get your vision checked | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysteritaville - Wellness Post Hysterectomy > Hysteritaville General Discussions > Tips of the Week

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ladies get your vision checked Ladies get your vision checked

Unread 11-23-2007, 11:31 PM
Ladies get your vision checked

Please everyone keep your peepers checked annually or when you notice significant changes in vision. I had my hysto 1 year ago this month and had new glasses the year before. I noticed my eye sight degrading about 6 months after surgery and put off the exam until I could afford it, thinking my stigmatisims had intensified (I currently only needed glasses for reading and computer work)........I finally made the appointment with my optrician and after hearing "OH MY GOD" from everyone that looked at my chart, I was told that my new prescrition for lenses were drastically stronger than my current glasses. I was shown the difference from "bare" eyes to my new glasses and realized I was pratically blind - now I wear glasses always. This really all happened after surgery and my doc said that menapause was a strong factor in the change.

Just wanted to suggest to all you girls that an annual eye exam is really important and to expect this change to your body as well as all the other changes going on.

PP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-23-2007, 11:52 PM
Vision

Thank you for sharing you story. Now that you mentioned the vision check up, I will definitely follow up on that because I where glasses/contacts all the time and I wonder if my stigmatism will be affected as well.
Thanks again!
Unread 12-07-2007, 09:32 AM

I had the same problem. I got my glasses (very weak prescription) 6 months before the hysterectomy. 6 months later I needed a much stronger prescription and she said I was close to needing bifocals! Eeek@
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-11-2008, 09:07 PM

thank you! I had my vision checked 4 months after my tah and just in case, I am going to have them checked- now it's been 8 mos after my tah and 3 weeks after my lap gallbladder/adhesion removal surgery. Maybe I am being overcautious, but....what the heck?

Life is very tough now (pain), but I am really looking forward to getting new glasses, since they are very scratched. - It's something to look forward to!

- lucky744
Unread 12-27-2008, 09:28 PM

thank you - I had a full hyst exactly a year ago this week and I have been noticing a more rapid decline in my eye sight. I will schedule an appointment...it is validating to hear from other women.
Unread 12-28-2008, 03:59 AM

Why does having a hysterectomy affect eyesight? If someone is on HRT will that negate the effect?
Unread 12-28-2008, 03:37 PM

I don't know why it is, but I was taking a large dose of Premarin so I don't think that helps. Then again .. maybe it would have been worse. I don't know.
Unread 12-28-2008, 03:45 PM

Could vision be affected even if you keep your ovaries? I'm having a hard time focusing with my glasses. Since my surgery was just two days ago and I'm still on some narcotic pain relievers, I've assumed it was the meds. But I'm wondering if this will improve now.
Unread 12-28-2008, 04:26 PM

Hmmm. I don't know. They took my ovaries, but I don't know if they are a factor or not. I don't know what does it. But pain meds will make you fuzzy so that may be it. ;-)
Unread 12-29-2008, 08:10 AM

As a licensed optician, I can tell you all that it is very important to have your eyes checked annually--believe it or not, the doctors can find other health issues by checking your eyes.
Hormone levels can play a definite factor in your vision. Also aging--most people require bifocals sometime after the age of 40, some earlier. Medications and diseases can also affect your vision.
I had noticed a definite change before I had my surgery, but waited to update my prescription until just before I went back to work, to make sure the meds and hormones were leveled out.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register