Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Mar 01-Mar 07,2021 - Page 5 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Mar 01-Mar 07,2021 Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Mar 01-Mar 07,2021

Unread 03-11-2021, 07:01 PM
Re: Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Mar 01-Mar 07,2021

Today was my one week mark. Had a robotic laparoscopic total hysterectomy, but kept my ovaries. I’m 41 and a stay at home homeschooling mom with three kids. This morning I was feeling great and thought I was doing ok, took a walk half way down my culdesac to get the kids (it hurts when I raise my voice). By Dinnertime I was swelling and in lots more pain. Kids are all in bed now and I’m going to try and sleep.

I did go back to the doctor two days ago because my bellybutton incision was oozing and it smelled AWFUL. It has stopped by the time I got to doctor, so she had nothing to culture, but could see my stained shirt so put me on Keflex to be safe. I had constipation that same day, but a slew of different meds got me cleared up but I haven’t gone again. I am taking magnesium citrate and colace and tons of water to try and keep regular. Heating pad helps with the pain at night and I may have to start doing heat in the day too. Tomorrow I will take it more easy, because my body needs me to. I’m not doing much, making the kids do way more than their fair share and the husband too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-11-2021, 07:05 PM
Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Mar 01-Mar 07,2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krauseacademy View Post
Today was my one week mark. Had a robotic laparoscopic total hysterectomy, but kept my ovaries. I’m 41 and a stay at home homeschooling mom with three kids. This morning I was feeling great and thought I was doing ok, took a walk half way down my culdesac to get the kids (it hurts when I raise my voice). By Dinnertime I was swelling and in lots more pain. Kids are all in bed now and I’m going to try and sleep.

I did go back to the doctor two days ago because my bellybutton incision was oozing and it smelled AWFUL. It has stopped by the time I got to doctor, so she had nothing to culture, but could see my stained shirt so put me on Keflex to be safe. I had constipation that same day, but a slew of different meds got me cleared up but I haven’t gone again. I am taking magnesium citrate and colace and tons of water to try and keep regular. Heating pad helps with the pain at night and I may have to start doing heat in the day too. Tomorrow I will take it more easy, because my body needs me to. I’m not doing much, making the kids do way more than their fair share and the husband too.
I can totally relate. I tried walking further today too, down to the corner and it back fired on me. I’m suffering and trying to catch up on pain medicine. We’re not alone. I’ll take it easy tomorrow with you!
Unread 03-11-2021, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestspirit View Post
Thank you!! I did have my cervix, uterus and tubes removed. I’m not sure how to add that to my post like I’ve seen in others. I have written down my schedule for pain meds and am taking your advice. Appreciated!

To update your surgery type in your profile, click this link:
Member Survey
Update Questions 4 & 8
Then scroll to the bottom of the page and click
"Send Answers".

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-11-2021, 08:53 PM

Good Evening Ladies! Let's welcome our newest member to our group: Krauseacademy.

Below are some articles that I thought may be helpful. As you are still early in your recovery, some basic everyday activities may still be challenging. Don't be shy about asking for help! Rest often throughout the day and nap if you need to. Your body does it's best healing while sleeping!

Getting In & Out of Bed
Pain Management

Clothes After Hysterectomy
Showering After Hysterectomy
Expectations vs. Reality
How Long for Bowel Movement?
How Long Will Pain Last?

If you are experiencing any concerning symptoms, don't hesitate to call your doctor. S/he is there to take care of you!

Unread 03-11-2021, 08:59 PM

Vaginal Cuff?

Ladies, I don't believe I've heard any discussion regarding the "vaginal cuff"... this is often a topic of conversation, so I thought I'd bring it up.

First, it helps to understand that the cervix is part of the uterus, and not a separate organ. Therefore:
  • A total hysterectomy is removal of the uterus and the cervix.
  • A supracervical (or partial) hysterectomy is removal of the uterus only, and the cervix has been retained.
  • Removal of the ovaries & fallopian tubes is a separate procedure, called a bilateral salpingo oophorectomy (assuming both ovaries & tubes were removed).
Everyone who has had their cervix removed now has a vaginal cuff. The end of the vagina is sewn shut (similar to the end of a sock) by the surgeon, thereby sealing off our pelvic cavity from the outside world. These stitches (as well as the ones suspending the vagina) are ones we particularly don't want to strain; therefore no vacuuming, pushing a shopping cart, lifting small children, carrying a laundry basket, etc. It’s also why we are to put nothing into the vagina until we have doctor’s clearance.

Some women experience a high libido post op and find the wait for intimacy to be difficult and frustrating. Please remember that having sex or inserting anything into the vagina opens us up to damaging the vaginal cuff as well as exposes us to potential infection. In addition, some GYN surgeons want their patients on complete pelvic rest while recovering. This means all sexual activity is off-limits including arousal and orgasm. Please call your surgeon and clarify your post op restrictions before engaging in any type of sexual activities. Don't be hesitant, they've heard it all before! Women who retain their cervix may be cleared for intercourse and some other activities sooner than women who had their cervix removed.

Your doctor may have also given you restrictions on baths and swimming post op. Here are some articles in case you're wondering:

Vaginal Cuff: What Is It?
Complete Pelvic Rest
Intimacy: The Wait
Do This-Not That: Maintaining Intimacy While on Restrictions

Is My Vagina Shorter?

How Will my Vagina Stay in Place?

Bathing Post Op
I hope this answers any questions that have been lurking in the back of your mind. Remember, if you have any questions at all, please ask! If you're wondering something, odds are high that others are wondering too!

Unread 03-11-2021, 09:00 PM

I Follow MY Doctor’s Orders!
Most of us will come across a "well meaning" person who has to chime in their opinion about our recovery. If someone says "well I know (so & so) and they were back to work in a week or driving the next day"... just smile, nod and say "It's great that their doctor cleared them so early, but I'm following my doctor's orders." Don’t be pressured or guilted into doing anything you aren’t ready to do. This is your time to heal right!
Unread 03-12-2021, 09:56 PM

Spotting? Sudden Discharge?

It can be really concerning to have spotting suddenly occur. And this can leave us wondering: What is normal? How much spotting is "too much" and when should I call my doctor?

Please be assured: It is considered “normal” to have some Discharge / Spotting / Light Bleeding throughout the 6 week initial recovery period. It may start and stop at random and vary in color and amount.

We are all different as to frequency, heaviness, and duration of our spotting. Even some bright red bleeding can be normal. It's also normal to have no spotting whatsoever. I had brownish discharge that stopped about week 3. I thought it was all was behind me and then it started up again, bright red. I decreased my activity level, put my feet up lots and it stopped in a few days.

Possible Reasons for Spotting:
  • Sometimes the spotting will correlate with too much activity and should be taken as a sign to slow down and put your feet up.
  • Spotting can also occur when the stitches at the vaginal cuff are dissolving. Our stitches can dissolve at different times, depending on what type of suture material your surgeon used, but often around the 10 day to 3 week mark.
Vaginal Bleeding Post Op
Spotting vs. Bleeding Post Op
Heavy bleeding (soaking a pad an hour) is cause to call your doctor and/or head to the ER. If you are experiencing symptoms different than what you were told in your discharge instructions, you should always call the doctor. Also, definitely listen to your inner voice; if it is telling you something isn't "right" always call your doctor!
When to Call Your Doc
I had the strangest spotting/discharge... at times it was brown, dark red, bright red, pink, clear, and orange... yes, orange! I felt like I had a whole rainbow parading through my undies!

Hang in there, this is all part of the healing process.

Unread 03-13-2021, 03:23 PM

8 days out now and being feeling more achey and sore in my abdomen the last few days. Also feeling like there is some bruising which my Dr did mention in her note. Very hard to watch my family getting overwhelmed and frustrated when I can't make anything better.
Unread 03-13-2021, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azhang View Post
8 days out now and being feeling more achey and sore in my abdomen the last few days. Also feeling like there is some bruising which my Dr did mention in her note. Very hard to watch my family getting overwhelmed and frustrated when I can't make anything better.
I've been feeling the same. Achy, sore, puffy.
Unread 03-13-2021, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeFan14 View Post
I've been feeling the same. Achy, sore, puffy.
I'm 9 days out, and I have as well.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register