new tv ad | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 11-14-2006, 06:05 PM
new tv ad

Have you all seen the new tv ad for Gardasil? Just saw it for the first time, on NBC. It's got a 'theme' of "One Less" as in one less affected by cervical cancer. I really like how they approach the whole subject. They still don't mention on tv that hpv is sexually transmitted (guess that would be 'too much' for tv?), but it talks about the link between hpv and cervical cancer.

And, I like how this ad shows girls and young women who are fit and athletic, and daughters with their mother, and, well, i think it's handled really well.

You can watch the ad on Merck's Gardasil website.The website has links to the cdc and nih which makes sense since the vaccine has the recommendation by the top 3 gyn and cancer organizations....now to get the American Pediatric Association to endorse/recommend it so that the pediatricians will start to give it out more readily!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-14-2006, 06:31 PM
new tv ad

I haven't yet seen the ad, but I am really glad that it is out there. I am still pretty new to the whole cervical cancer diagnoses and accepting it. I always knew that as woman we should have an annual pap smear. I went for my first one when I was 22. The smear hurt so much that I didn't go back for another one. I recently went back to have another one 6 years later (from the urging from friends) and the diagnosis came back with cervical cancer.

I am from a country that didn't seem very proactive in advertising or informing young woman (or I guess any woman) that pap smears were testing for HPV and cervical cancer. I actually had no idea! It wasn't until I came to the States two years ago that I realized this and finally had a pap smear done.

I certainly hope that this vaccine is made world wide available for all the young girls and woman out there, so that they may be spared the agony of dysplasia and cervical cancer.
Unread 11-14-2006, 06:38 PM
new tv ad

For the sake of all of our young female family members and friends, the Pediatric Association has to get on board. This ad is another step towards that goal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-14-2006, 06:53 PM
new tv ad

Janny - I'm not sure what country you're from, but here in the U.S., it's just very very recent that the whole education and information about hpv has come out. The pap smear has always been a regular screening test for cervical cancer here...but not sure that a lot was really done to publicize that either. It's great that there's more and more public service type announcements - and even the private advertising - that helps to get women (and men!) aware of how valuable it is to get regular medical screenings.
Joanne
Unread 11-14-2006, 09:17 PM
new tv ad

I don't understand why some people have problems with a vaccine for HPV. Just because it is sexually transmitted? If that's the case, there should have been all kinds of protests when people with gonorrhea or syphilis were given penicillin.
Unread 11-14-2006, 09:28 PM
new tv ad

Janny,

The widespread info in HPV didn't come out until about a year ago, just a couple of weeks after my diagnosis of cervical cancer. That was bad timing for me, but at least it's out there now.

I have actually had hpv for at least 16 years, since neither me nor my husband has been with anyone else since we met. My doc tells me that that's entirely possible for the virus to lay dormant for that long. But I've had numerous paps in that time as well as two children, and hpv was never tested for. I wish it had been, I would have known a lot sooner and would have been able to be more proactive in my health care.

I have a 7 year old daughter, and as soon as she turns 12 (I think that is the youngest recommended age) I will definately make sure that she gets the vaccination, just as I have made sure she has had all of her other vaccinations. I do not see it as a green light to have sex, I see it as a measure to protect her health and her life. I would not want anyone, especially one of my children to have to go through what I have been through.

It would be great if pediatricians were able to give this out, but it doesn't matter, I will do whatever it takes and take her wherever I need to in order for my daughter to be protected. I just hope all mothers feel the same way, then we could actually wipe out most, if not all cervical cancer in just one generation. Wouldn't that be incredible.

Sorry for rambling on, as you can tell I am very passionate about this subject.

Jasmine
Unread 11-15-2006, 07:46 PM
new tv ad

Jasmine -
I feel quite passionate about this subject too.

And, pediatricians CAN give the vaccine. Many aren't yet doing it simply because the American Pediatrics Association hasn't yet officially endorsed it, and most of those docs follow their organizations guidelines and recommendations. I've also heard from two different parents with daughters that their pedicatricians are just waiting for the vaccine to be out for at least 6 months before they administer it themselves. And, it's also an expensive vaccine which could be another cause for hesitation on an office carrying it. It's intended for girls and young women aged 9 to 26, so it would really make sense for the pediatricians to get on board in addition to the gynecologists.

And, by the way, Jasmine, even if you'd been tested for hpv, it probably wouldn't have made a difference in your medical care. Unless you were showing signs of cervical dysplasia, or more progressed cervical cancer, the doctors wouldn't have done anything. That's why they use the pap smear as the main screening test to see if additional testing or treatment is needed. Just having hpv doesn't mean you would have developed cancer. If your regular yearly pap smears were all normal, there would have been no reason for your doctors to do anything further. Hope you find this info helpful.

The gardasil website is very helpful giving info about not just the vaccine but about hpv as well.

Hmmm... maybe we should do a letter writing or email campaign to get those pediatric associations with it!
Unread 11-15-2006, 08:08 PM
new tv ad

Joannel,

It's great to see the passion on this subject, it's so important.

What I meant by wishing I had been tested earlier is that because I had so many normal paps in a row (never before had I had an abnormal one), I was told I could go 2 years without one. I actually went 3, and then boom! If I had known about HPV or knew that I had it I probably, actually most definately would not have skipped any years. I know that something has to be there (dysplasia at the very least) before the docs would do anything, but at least it wouldn't have become full blown cancer. I know, we could all do the 'what if's' all day and it wouldn't make a lick of a difference, it just helps my mind to get it out there.
Unread 11-15-2006, 08:24 PM
new tv ad

Jasmine - I hear ya about the what ifs. Now I understand what you were saying about how knowing you had hpv might have changed things. Sending you hugs.
Joanne
Unread 11-15-2006, 11:39 PM
new tv ad

I'm afraid that many women will hear cervical cancer is caused by a sexually transmitted virus and they will conclude that they never need pap smears because they're in a committed relationship. Married women will assume that since they aren't sleeping with anyone but their husband, they have no need to for a pap smear. Women who aren't sexually active, those who are single or divorced or widow, will think that they don't need pap smears either. I know that I would have felt that way had I thought that only HPV could cause cervical cancer. I never missed a pap smear because I assumed that I could get cancer even though married for a long time. I knew little about HPV but in this case, ignorance was a good thing. I knew about cancer, and that was scary enough. What caused the cancer really wasn't of concern.

Except that the pap smear didn't work for me anyway.

Women know that pap smears check for cancer. When everyone thinks that it tests for a sexually transmitted virus, I guarantee that lots of women won't think they EVER need another pap smear. What women won't know is that the virus can be dormant for years, decades even. It's not the cause of the cancer that's important, it's getting a pap smear that's important. Women who aren't sexually active will now assume they don't need pap smears. That's my fear anyway.

Hugs,

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register