Are you taking it easy enough post-op? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Are you taking it easy enough post-op? Are you taking it easy enough post-op?

Unread 01-02-2012, 07:01 PM
Are you taking it easy enough post-op?

Hi ladies,
My nurse practioner very kindly slapped my hand today. Apparently as I have started to feel better I have done more than I should. I have been feeling great. I thought I was taking it easy enough, but was educated otherwise.

Last Friday I noticed part of my incision looked a little angry. Long story short, I ended up in the Dr office today wondering if I had an infection brewing. I do not have an infection, but part of my incision is irritated. I have also been quite a bit more sore on my right side. I do have the special situation having two abdominal surgeries in 9
weeks.

The nurse practioner very nicely told me I needed to move slower, do less, and spend more time horizontal. She also told me to stop wearing my husband's athletic pants and switch to cotton pj pants for breathability. She went over the rules again.

So, my question to all you sisters is...are you taking it easy enough post-op?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-02-2012, 07:39 PM
Re: Are you taking it easy enough post-op?

Thanks for asking Beth. I am wondering if I an taking it easy enough, which probably means I am not. I started to feel really good in week 2 and thought I had turned a corner, only to end up in the doctor's office at the end of the week because of bad nausea and only one bowel movement in two weeks.

I was thinking about going back to work this week (week three after a total laparoscopic hysterectomy) - is that crazy?
Unread 01-02-2012, 07:39 PM

I am very much trying too. Lol. I have 3 kids age 11 and 2 that r 5.... Hubby is working from noon to midnight so I am slave driving my 11 yr old like crazy. She however does quite a bit of complaining. I over did it over Christmas bc I was bleeding my do told me if I bleed I am doing too much so I have been going by that. I am allowed to walk on the treadmill but I have not done that yet. Running errand and taking kids to bus stop is enough for me at this point.

Looking forward to wearing jeans again!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-02-2012, 08:15 PM

I am hoping that I am taking it easy enough. I do have some slight pinkish/brown discharge, but I wouldn't call it bleeding outright. I'm having lots of twinges and aches, but have them at rest too. I live in a 4 level split house so stairs have been a must from day 3 when I came home - unless I stayed in my bedroom only, I needed to do stairs in order to use the bathroom. I was cleared for stairs on discharge from hospital just told to take my time with them.

Most days I'm more horizontal than not, so hopefully that means I am taking good care of me. Thanks for the reminder!
Unread 01-02-2012, 08:47 PM

I haven't even made it 2 days post op and my doc was getting on to me for going out to lunch and dinner the day I was released from the hospital. It didn't help that I told him I was on my way to lunch the day after release with my husband too. He's going to die when he finds out I have been doing light shopping since then too (walmart, groceries, and the mall!) I don't know if I'm a lucky one or what but so far I really haven't had any pain and absolutely no bleeding. I haven't been driving or doing any heavy lifting or bending since I have had my husband with me since surgery. He took vacation time (2 weeks) to look out for me.
Unread 01-02-2012, 08:52 PM

Tearythunder...I didn't have any discharge or bleeding until two weeks post op, it could still come yet. You are lucky to be pain free! Walking is good, but make sure you are resting too, I think it's pretty easy to overdo it.
Unread 01-02-2012, 10:02 PM

I truly thought I was behaving and following the rules. After my visit today I learned that all it takes is the wrong twist, turn, or reach to make your body angry. I learned it is so easy to overdo it. I was cleared for stairs right away, but recently have probably been to gung ** about troting up and down them. Bent over to clean up spilled yeast more as a natural reaction than a planned movement. That why I asked the question. It's so important to give our bodies time to heal. My kiddos have been having to help so much this year. They are getting a little burned out, especially now that it is cold, but they are being troopers about it. They have to do all of the barn chores, as well as help with everything else. We really do only have one chance to heal right. I really appreciate the way the nurse practitioner gently but firmly got after me.
Unread 01-03-2012, 03:50 AM

I was just like you 2 days post all except for going out. No spotting, feeling great. And on day 5 swoosh it felt like I wet myself, drainage or ? I don't know but it woke me up and now laying in bed most of the time small walks around. Basically bathroom and back. Please please please slow yourself down. Remember we just had MAJOR surgery!!!!!!!
Unread 01-03-2012, 08:24 AM

It makes feel better knowing that others feel the same way I do. I question, am I taking it easy enough. The doctor told me when I was released that I could go up and down stairs, etc. but I had to take it easy. My husband has been great and really takes over when the kids get home from school. However I feel guilty-I have twin 3 yr olds and want to be able to do things for them like make them dinner, help with baths, etc. I didn't have much bleeding when I first came home but in the last couple of days its kind of picked up. It's still not a lot but its more than right after surgery. Yesterday I laid on the couch all day & didn't do too much. I see the doctor Thurs to get my stitches out do we'll see what he says about how much is too much.
Unread 01-03-2012, 09:24 AM

I think you HysterSisters who are in week 1 or 2 need to SLOW down! When my pain med (Percocet) ran out on day 11, I realized how hard I was being on my body. With pain meds, you don't feel the pulling or the pain that stops you in your tracks otherwise! I am at day 21, and really hoped I would feel better than I do by now. I am already worrying about returning to work next Monday. Wondering if I really hurt/slowed down my recovery by doing too much weeks 1 and 2.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register