Emotional issues with vagina after TVH? - Page 13 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Emotional issues with vagina after TVH? Emotional issues with vagina after TVH?

Unread 03-28-2012, 05:41 PM
Re: Emotional issues with vagina after TVH?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortnsweet2 View Post
After having just gone through an exam today, I'd .... choose ..... Big.

Sounds much better to me right about now. Ouch.
I'm with you shortnsweet... had my exam today too and I'm sore tonight. My poor vagina. It just can't catch a break. Was just about to pop the ibuprofen. Again. I'm really thankful that ibuprofen is not addictive otherwise my next stop would be ibuprofen rehab.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-29-2012, 08:48 PM

I think no matter how the surgeries were done we all feel much different at first, then somewhat different a little later, and as time goes by we slowly revert back to our old selves. I had my abdomen cut open in November and all my girlie stuff removed - at first I wanted to cry because I felt that I made the wrong decision, I was fearful and very much insecure - didn't even know why. That's the strange thing about these procedures - are these feelings predetermined for us based on conversations with other or are they real. Whatever they are they "suck" (hope i didn't offend anyone). You just had your procedure done - allow yourself some time, talk to supportive people and most important for me was to apply myself to something I loved to do. When my mind is busy I can't think of all the what if's, whys, etc. etc. etc.

Your body will heal and your mind will recover - stay positive and Smile!
Unread 03-29-2012, 09:13 PM

I have had both an abdominal surgery (removal of dermoid on ovary) and now a vaginal. I remember before my hysterectomy, one of the doctors made the comment that is was "less invasive". Well, having had surgeries both ways and now being able to compare the two, I would say that just simply isn't true. I have found this surgery to be more invasive, for me personally. I think because cutting open my belly was one thing but this was my vagina. There was cutting, slicing, pulling, tugging, stretching, weighted speculums, removing internal organs in pieces... all in my vagina. For 4 hours. That is invasive. It's been harder for me emotionally because of that. I think because my belly is my belly but the vagina is a private, personal, intimate part of my body and I have felt like it was invaded and violated. Technically, it was just a medical procedure. I know this and I understand but it has been emotionally harder to deal with afterwards. The only benefit that I have seen of having a vaginal procedure is less muscle pain afterwards. That's been it. Otherwise, it's been harder for me personally in every other way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-29-2012, 09:21 PM

I second that mlb. I've been very selective in my life about who gets to spend time "down there". And I love my GYN and I trust him completely. But I really don't want anyone's face between my legs for hours. It is very private and it's an area that deserves to be treated nicely. I really appreciate not having a tummy incision to heal in top of everything else. But I definitely feel violated and assaulted by all the biopsies, LEEPs and now hyster. I know it was all for my health and I'm very grateful to have access to wonderful (and free!) medical treatment but still... I hate to be over dramatic but I still can't shake the feeling completely. It's like it hurts deep in my soul.
Unread 03-29-2012, 09:28 PM

I have had minor abdominal surgeries before (appendectomy and a tubal ligation) and 1 vaginal surgery (uterine ablation). I didn't feel bad about the ablation and feeling bad about my vagina afterward. But this LAVH is definitely not the same. I am afraid of being touched "down there". Yes, I was surprised that the post op speculum exam didn't hurt. but the idea of sex is not a good thought. I don't know how you married ladies do it - I'm too afraid of it. What if it's dry (yes, buy KY), but still?? And I made the mistake of looking at the Youtube video of this. Now, I'm an ICU nurse. But it freaked me out and made me cringe to think that was done on me. Don't what it!! lol.

I am glad that I don't have a bunch of abdominal muscles cut through and don't have to recover those muscles. I remember being surprised that I could sit up easily as I transferred to my bed post-op.

I am glad that I had it done vaginally still. I think I'd feel the same way if I had abdominal surgery - just with a lot more recovery needed.
Unread 03-29-2012, 09:56 PM

Yup I wept the first time we had sex post op. Cried for my traumatized 'gina and my poor lost uterus. And many times I just can't get into the "zone". DH is amazingly patient. We don't do it much these days but that is probably mostly because I still have pain from the surgery all the time.
Unread 03-29-2012, 11:05 PM

Sometime you gals make me cry because I'm laughing so hard, and sometimes I cry with you, in your pain. Both kinds of tears are good, friends.

Today I think I pulled the same stitch I got silver nitrated yesterday. Sometimes it seems I'll never learn, and sometimes it seems like I'll never heal.
Unread 03-30-2012, 08:16 AM

It really is a long journey. Some people think you just pop into the hospital and have your uterus removed, no big deal. It's a huge deal and takes so much longer than I ever expected. Hang in there shortnsweet, you'll get there!
Unread 03-30-2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarandspice View Post
It really is a long journey. Some people think you just pop into the hospital and have your uterus removed, no big deal. It's a huge deal and takes so much longer than I ever expected. Hang in there shortnsweet, you'll get there!
I totally agree with you! I get frustrated at people who think I should be 'all better'. When people ask me how I'm feeling, I just say "fine" because I know they won't understand anyway. I feel like a complainer if I say anything else. Why do I feel guilty for not being all better??? Sorry, I'm having a rough morning. Worked a long day yesterday and I am worn out. I'm staying home today to rest and I refuse to feel guilty!

My DH is extremely patient and understanding (brought me coffee and toast in bed this morning) which makes me feel even more guilty. I know, I know - I'm putting it on myself.

Thanks sisters for letting me vent and for always being here and understanding.

Sending to everyone and I hope you all
Unread 03-30-2012, 09:13 AM

Nonna, please don't feel guilty. We women seem to do too much of that. And please don't feel bad for not feeling better yet. Look at me, I'm 8 months post op and still feel worse than I did pre op!! I don't even get the questions or the looks anymore!! I smiled big when I read that your DH brought you breakfast in bed. What a keeper. Instead of feeling guilty, feel grateful that you have such a amazing man and that you are well on the road to recovery!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register