Jury Duty in 1 week | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Jury Duty in 1 week Jury Duty in 1 week

Unread 04-22-2012, 04:15 PM
Jury Duty in 1 week

My TVH surgery was April 5 and I have jury duty on May 2. I assumed that I would be further along in recovery and I would be ok to go. I'm not! I can't sit for a long time and definitely not on anything hard. Now it's too late to get a deferment. What am I going to do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-22-2012, 04:34 PM
Re: Jury Duty in 1 week

DH starts jury duty that day, too, and he's going to tell them that I am recovering from major surgery and need him at home. (I do.)

If it were me, I'd show up the first day and explain that there is no way that you are ready to sit full time. Get a dr. note if need be.

Good luck!
Unread 04-22-2012, 04:43 PM

You Call them, the court's phone number should be on your summons. If not look it up. You tell them you had major surgery, and they will let you off. Do not even try to do this, you need to rest. Please let us know that you called the court. Your doctor can provide any deferment you might need.
Unread 04-22-2012, 04:50 PM

I got a summons for jury duty while I was recovering from my hysterectomy. In my state, there is a section where you can mark you cannot serve because of a health situation but you must obtain a letter from your doctor and return it to the Jury Commissioner promptly for consideration.

I called my surgeon and his office wrote a letter which I sent in with my summons. I was released from serving without having to show up.

So, give your doctor a call. His/her office should be able to tell you what steps need to be taken. You can also call the number on your summons, but may still need proof from your doctor to be excused. Some states and counties are stricter than others.

Unread 04-22-2012, 05:23 PM

There is a place on the form but it has to be returned 10 days before the summons date and it's already too late. It gives you 2 options, show up in person and tell them why you can't make it or let them know in writing 10 days ahead of time.

I really thought I would be further along by now. My doctor made it sound like recovery from a TVH would be easy and I would be back to normal by 2 weeks. He said a lot of people go back to work after 2 weeks but he tells patients to tell their work they wouldn't be back to work for 6 weeks "just in case". I'm a SAHM so going back to work isn't an issue but recovery is much harder than he made it out to be.
Unread 04-22-2012, 06:33 PM

If you think you need to be dismissed, you should call your doctor in the morning and see if he will write a letter. If your doctor says you should not serve, then call whatever number is on your summons and explain that you thought you would be farther along in your recovery than you are, you have spoken with your doctor who will write a letter to excuse you, and you would like to know how you can turn in that letter to be excused at this time. Possibly you will be allowed to drop it off to the jury commissioners office even though you are past the 10 days, or you may be told you have to bring the letter with you on the day you are to appear for jury duty.

Unread 04-22-2012, 07:13 PM

There must be a way for someone to let them know less than 10 days beforehand because last minute medical problems come up all the time. I encourage you to call tomorrow first thing to get that process rolling and then call your doctor's office for a letter.
Unread 04-22-2012, 08:00 PM

I agree - call the juy clerk first thing in the morning and ask to have your jury duty rescheduled for a future month. Just because the form says 10 days doesn't mean you can't call. Call and explain the situation. If they need a letter from the doctor, then ask your doctor for it.
Unread 04-23-2012, 08:49 AM

I called the courthouse this morning and, lucky for me, the lady that I talked to has had a hysterectomy and understood completely. I got a deferment for 8 weeks. Hopefully I'll be ok by then.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register