Hysterectomy with one ovary left - remove? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Separate Surgeries

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy with one ovary left - remove? Hysterectomy with one ovary left - remove?

Unread 07-24-2020, 03:28 AM
Hysterectomy with one ovary left - remove?

I had a hysterectomy when I was 38 due to Endometriosis. I was left with my right ovary. Since then, it swells monthly with pain and discomfort. I went to the OB/GYN recently and discovered I have a 3cm cyst on it. After talking to my husband, I’ve decided it’s time for this **** ovary to go away. I’m 45 years old and tired of being unwell monthly. I’ve also experienced lower than normal sex drive, I sweat at night, my sleeping is awful, I’ve gained weight and suffered hair loss...

Is this the right thing to do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-24-2020, 11:12 AM
Re: Hysterectomy with one ovary left - remove?

3 cm cyst is not too bad and could disappear (most come and go)
It sounds like most of your grievances are because of peri or menopause.

Removing the remaining ovary will induce surgical menopause- so same issues but without the benefits an ovary can produce.

Did you dr check your hormone levels and discuss HRT?
Unread 07-24-2020, 01:12 PM

I don't know what is best for you but I can speak to my experience of having both ovaries removed. I got an estrogen patch the very next day after surgery. I've had two episodes with night sweats and no hot flashes since. I have had minor insomnia but I think that may be because of all the naps I'm taking in this healing process.

I'm convinced that, with my dedicated doctors help, I'll be able to get the mix of bio identical hormones balanced well and we are already on a very good start. It really helps to have a doctors help who is totally on board.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-28-2020, 04:24 PM

Had both ovaries removed due to PMDD and PCOS, and I would never do it again knowing what I know now. Surgical menopause is a misery I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. While the doctors may be on board now, know that you're the one that has to live with any complications post-op, or any problems adjusting to HRT. Such problems are not uncommon. HRT can also lead to issues such as breast cancer later down the road.

Before taking such a drastic step, I suggest trying Vitex. It is a natural supplement that is derived from the Chaste Tree. It has a long history of safe, effective use for the treatment of PMS, PCOS, and infertility, and is prescribed to treat some of those issues in Europe. It works by helping your natural hormones work as they should. It can take a bit of time for the process to fully take effect, but it seems it'd be worth a shot if it means avoiding going under general anesthesia and experiencing the trauma of surgery.

I wish I had known about Vitex before my own surgery. It could have saved a lot of suffering.
Unread 07-28-2020, 04:45 PM

I had a hyst and kept my right ovary as well! About 11 months after my hyst I started back with mid-“cycle” excruciating pain (I still had a very clear and regular Monthly hormone cycle despite the lack of period) as well as recurring cysts. We finally did an exploratory laparoscopy (ex-lap) 18 months post-hyst and found endometriosis everywhere. My doc made the call to take out my other ovary, and then I went 6 months with no estrogen so the endo would die off.

I’ve now been taking Premarin and using vaginal estradiol cream for 8 months. I basically hate it. I am 42 and feel like I am staring down decades (hopefully!) of hormone fluctuations, med adjustments, wondering if something is “just me” or HRT related, and on and on.

Do I think I could have continued with the endo pain? I don’t know. I wonder. But I do wish we’d done the ex-lap and figured out what the problem was so I could attempt to manage it before we jumped right to surgical menopause. Maybe not full regret, but some “wish I had...”

Best of luck to you, I hope your condition improves one way or another soon!!
Unread 07-28-2020, 05:04 PM

If you can, try to keep your ovary. A complete hysterectomy has upended my life. If it wasn’t for this forum where I found the HRT solutions available to me, I would have been in trouble. In the other response, it mentioned having your hormone levels checked......do that and maybe, add thyroid levels as well.
This info with research will help you make the right decision for you....don’t let the medical community make it for you.....they are too biased.....RESEARCH RESEARCH this forum...compounded estrogen, pellets and so much more....good luck and know we all know what you are going through :-)
Unread 07-28-2020, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolli1970 View Post
I don't know what is best for you but I can speak to my experience of having both ovaries removed. I got an estrogen patch the very next day after surgery. I've had two episodes with night sweats and no hot flashes since. I have had minor insomnia but I think that may be because of all the naps I'm taking in this healing process.

I'm convinced that, with my dedicated doctors help, I'll be able to get the mix of bio identical hormones balanced well and we are already on a very good start. It really helps to have a doctors help who is totally on board.
Bear in mind that not everyone is a candidate for hormone replacement therapy and that some struggle a lot to find a balance
Unread 07-28-2020, 07:05 PM

I've had an ovarian cysts before & with rest, reclining with feet up & ice packs off & on the cyst resolved itself. This on advice from my OBGYN. The ovaries are so important for hormones that effect more than just the monthly flow. I suggest doing an internet search on the subject & you'll be surprised what our hormones control throughout our bodies. You have to decide for yourself, but if it were me, I'd do everything I could to save them. Hope this helps.
Unread 07-29-2020, 07:42 AM

Try to hang in with your one ovary. Kept my ovaries and cervix. Was 46 at the time. It was from hystersisers that I learned sometimes ovaries shut down because of surgery. Had to go on hormones for a few months. Then they started working again. Sex drive came back. Now, being 60, went on hormones again about 6 years ago.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register