Upcoming August hysterectomy - question about clothing | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming August hysterectomy - question about clothing Upcoming August hysterectomy - question about clothing

Unread 07-26-2021, 12:24 PM
Upcoming August hysterectomy - question about clothing

I'm trying to prepare for my upcoming hysterectomy as much as possible. Right now I am considering post-op clothing. If your uterus was very large (mine is about 20x 13 x12cm with a 10 cm fibroid) what was your belly like after? I understand post op swelling, but if you remove an organ that is already enlarged and then are swollen are you about the same as you started or even bigger than you started?

I don't have a lot of soft, loose clothing right now so I'll have to get some and I'm trying to guess what size. I mostly wear jeans. I have pajamas , but I also want to get something beside pajamas that will be comfortable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-26-2021, 06:22 PM
Re: question about clothing

Hi and welcome,

The key is clothes that are lightweight and comfortable. You want to a pix anything constructing or that rubs your swollen belly or incision. I don’t think from my experience and that of most other members, that you will be able to wear your jeans.

I had a huge uterus too and after my belly was quite swollen. The first week I stuck to pj’s than switched off to cotton sweat pants and stretchy leggings. I wasn’t a fashion statement but I was comfortable.

You might try lightweight shirts or sweat pants with an elastic waist. Some gals like simple dresses or shifts. Others live in boy shorts. You really Don’t need to invest a lot of money on a ne2

Here is a article with some general tips:
Clothes after Surgery

Good luck!
Unread 07-26-2021, 11:53 PM

I like nighties and for a treat bought myself 2 new ones and rotated them with my existing ones. I don't know if we can add photos or links or I would. Spaghetti strap silky with a bra shelf (hard to find). I got my usual size. I spent a lot of daytime in them because with Covid working from home I was spending time in PJs anyhow. When I do dress, I use capris leggings. Going from hospital I wore long loose leggings and a simple loose top. I didn't get anything a bigger size. My huge belly fit okay under it all I do recommend a belly binder for comfort. Mine was a godsend when it arrived day 2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-27-2021, 01:41 AM

My uterus (plus the variety of fibroids in and on it) gave me the appearance of being in my sixth month of pregnancy —not fun when you're 56! I thought I would be most comfortable in loose knit pants, and that my swollen belly couldn't possibly be as large as pre-operative belly. For the most part, I was correct that even at its worst, it’s not as big. (My waist shrank 4 1/2 inches between the morning before the surgery and a few days later, when I came home.)

On the other hand, I found that I preferred soft dresses without a structured waistband. It was 2 weeks before I wore pants, at which point I discovered that anything that doesn't have a drawstring is too loose.
Unread 07-27-2021, 03:52 AM
Upcoming August hysterectomy - question about clothing

Thanks to my fibroids, my belly was about the size of a 22 week pregnancy, and I looked forward to it going down once I passed the Swelly Belly stage, plus my surgeon had recommended against wearing anything binding, so I chose my clothes accordingly. I treated myself to a new track suit and a new pair of pajamas, whose pants both had adjustable drawstring waistbands, and I mixed in my favourite yoga pants, loose dresses, peasant skirts, and an old, stretched out pair of pajama bottoms. For underwear, I chose bikini bottoms - in white, of course - that sat below my incisions. I did not even attempt to get into my jeans until the weather started to turn cold about 5-6 months later, and by then, I found that because they were a low-waisted style, I was able to fit into them. Just pick what makes you comfortable, and you'll do okay! Wishing you all the best for a successful surgery and a smooth recovery!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register