2007 - Hysterectomy Oct 01, 2007 - Oct 08, 2007 - Page 5 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

2007 - Hysterectomy Oct 01, 2007 - Oct 08, 2007 2007 - Hysterectomy Oct 01, 2007 - Oct 08, 2007

Unread 10-08-2007, 02:37 PM
Thank you

First off, I want to thank everyone for their thoughts and prayers for all of us that have had their hysterectomies.
I had a TAH w/ BSO on Oct. 1st. I was able to come home Wed. Thank goodness cause they kept forgetting I was still in the room. I was always asking for something to eat or meds. cause they kept forgetting about me. I didn't have a good stay in the hospital none the less. As for how I feel, I am so glad I have had this done. Even though it has only been a week, I feel great other than the "pulling in my tummy" as my kids call it. The doctor told mom that I would feel like a new person once I heal because I was so full of scar tissue and it was attached to everything. I haven't had any lower back pain since oct. 1. Yaa, cause it was a constant pain everyday. Well hope everyone is doing good too.
And take care,
Melissa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-08-2007, 05:07 PM
Day 6

I had my operation on Oct. 2nd and I have to thank God for how my recovery has gone so far. I only had to stay in the hospital two nights. I was up and walking the first day. My husb. was able to stay with me around the clock in the hospital so was able to help me with everything. The doctor and nurses were happy with my progress so I could leave to go home early and finally eat some healthy food. I had to wait until day 4 to finally have my first bm. I'm only on ibuprofen now for pain which I finally had to take earlier this afternoon. So I feel blessed so far with how the progress is coming along. The only things bothering me are my bruise below my incision, intermittent pain, being unable to walk standing straight up (I joke around saying I look like an old lady bent over and holding onto things as I walk around as needed) and bm's. I believe my continued sense of humor with everything helps as well. I'm going to ask my doctor this week when I go in for my appt. if I can get a handicapped sticker for the car so when I am finally ready and my husband drives me to the store we don't have to park the car too far from the store entrance then use the mechanical seated cart to vroom, vroom through the aisles. I think that would be fun to do. Reading everyone's posting helps so much. I have learned so much as well as received so much encouragement from what I've been reading. Thanks so much!
Unread 10-08-2007, 05:51 PM
2007 - Hysterectomy Oct 01, 2007 - Oct 08, 2007

Hi all,

Just read grace07's post and thought I should share my little "cart" experience with you all. My Mom and I took a trip to Target yesterday. I was actually just supposed to wait in the car and let her run in real quick, but then I had one of my "great ideas". I have always, always wanted to zoom around the store in one of those sit down carts and figured now was my chance. Now, mind you, thanks again to the Good Lord, I'm not lookin' too bad, so as soon as I set off in my cart I felt like people were starring. You know the "you don't really need that cart do you??" kind of stares. So I decided I better look pitiful and in great pain, so I hunched myself way over and clutched my belly for effect : ) I was a little disappointed to say the least. I must have picked the slowest cart in the lot - it certainly was not the supercharged, turbo model I was hoping for!!!

Anyway, we made our way around the store and just when I was feeling really confident with my driving abilities I decided to try some sort of crazy maneuver in the middle of the dinnerware isle. Well, it did not go as planned and I found myself stuck in between the two shelves - like I was the middle of a big, long "H". I only had about 2 inches in front and 2 in back. So, I preceeded to move the cart forward til I crashed into the shelves and then back til I crashed into the shelves, slightly turning the front wheel with each bang. This was working okay but, by now a few people had ventured down the aisle and were starring at me, waiting to get by. Now, why they could not have taken pity on me and just gone down the next aisle is beyond me!! In my fit of panic, I jumped off the cart and decided I was going to pull it 'til it was not longer stuck. Well, those little suckers are pretty heavy and as soon as I started to pull on it, I felt severe pain in my belly - BAD IDEA!! My mother was of course frantically trying to help me and explaining to everyone how I had just had surgery etc. Still, they continued to stand and stare!!! What is wrong with people!!!! I finally managed to get the cart unstuck. We promptly checked out and made our getaway, laughing like crazy woman the whole way!!! GOOD TIMES!!!

This has been an amazing experience so far - Surgery on the 1st, home on the 2nd and feeling great. I pray for those of you that are struggling a bit, you will get through this!! For those with surgeries this week, my thoughts and prayers are with you too : )

Take care all : )
Kim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-08-2007, 06:04 PM

heres2me: You go girl- just picturing what you posted made me laugh so hard my belly hurt!!! Hysterical!!
Unread 10-08-2007, 08:07 PM
One Week

Another October 1 st Sister here TAH kept my ovaries. Finally the swelling in my belly seems to be subsiding but just so tired. Today I started crying, not sure why just couldn't seem to stop. I have had such a hard year physically I guess I never stopped to think about the emotional side to the surgery. I just wanted to feel better. I decided to take my time and heal, not push myself like I usually do and I am glad to have all of these posts to read. Feels like there are some people out there who undertsand and that is helpful.

Keep Happy Thoughts,
DWiley224

Unread 10-08-2007, 08:39 PM
Four days and getting better by the day!

At the ripe old age of 34, after 15 years of problems and procedures, I had my TVH (at least I think that's the right abbreviation!). Surgery was Thursday the 4th and I was home Friday evening. The first two days were horrible due to the unbelievable gas that I was NOT expecting (the nurses left out how bad it could be), but that has gotten better each day (walking REALLY helps!). Today I took a stroll through a local park and it felt really good, I am now off the narcotics and am only taking NSAIDs.

My brain feels good and wants to get up and go, I'm only sad that my body can't keep up quite yet. On the other hand, there is something to be said for being able to relax for a change.... and I can't think of a better reason than now!

Here's to everyone else out there in the same boat. Chin up, we'll be better in no time!
Unread 10-08-2007, 08:44 PM

OMG heres2me, that was just too funny! LMAO! I am only sorry that I did not think to do that myself! Hmm, I could use a trip to Target... it's just up the road.... :-)))

Good for you Kim -- and as for those people staring, they just don't know how to live!

sj
Unread 10-08-2007, 10:03 PM
TAH done October 5th, home now.

Today is day three after Surgery.

Surgery was Friday October 5th. Problems with excessive bleeding and hemorrhaging for the last two years so since menopause won't get here, I must do this myself. Surgery went well, no problems... my incision is awesome, no stitches or staple to be seen... all on the inside, sewn from the inside and they are hidden and healing up fast. You will hardly notice this scar. Anyway, the scar is bruised, thick and swollen, yet numb and achy big time.

During surgery I had severe problems with Vaso-Vagal responses and my blood pressure bottomed out. They needed Atropine to revive me and some other meds. It started in the before surgery prep room after the anesthesiologist came and said we need to "type and cross" blood in case of transfusion needed as this often can become a bloody surgery. OMG! That was all I needed to hear, I wanted to cancel right then, "never mind folks, check please"... but I didn't. Then my pressure started to fall and I was going to pass out, vaso-vagal episode number one. Surgery was fine, I was out in fifteen seconds, the staff were wonderful. When I was in recover and couldn't open my eyes because I was soooooo drugged, I could hear my doctor dictating his note and all around him people were talking about the surgery... bits and pieces of what they did numerous times to keep my pressure up, gave me tons of meds, really had to keep working and monitoring me. Sounds dangerous and problematic to me. However, they did it and no problems afterwards.

So, that first night in the hospital was horrid, such pain! I had a morphine drip pump, but I didn't use it as much as I should have, I later found out. Doctor said, press it when you think of it, press it when you remember and press it in between those time, just keep using it and it will control your pain. Well of course it wasn't until the end of day two that I figured that out. So I had Toradal for anti-inflammation and Morphine for pain. Good combination. The important part is that fifty percent of your pain can be controlled by anti-inflammatories, so you need both. I went home at the end of day two after the surgery and the drive home was the hardest. Bumpy, bumpy, bumpy. Now, where was that Lincoln Continental to drive me home. Darn, I can't find it, guess we'll have to drive the Ford Pickup truck. Ouch.

I left the hospital with a script for Toradal every six hours and Naproxen every eight hours. I had to add an extra half pill twice today of the Toradal to cut the pain and now feel better that I did that.

Home was great. Love my own bed. Husband staying home to care for me for the next ten days. He is taking charge of the medicines and the times to give it. He is also a pharmacist so that helps alot. My Belly hurts, aches, difficult to get up out of bed and get back into bed. Sucks my air away when I stand up.

My DH got an elastic abdomen binder at the pharmacy and I got a size larger to wear it on my hips so when I stand up things aren't hurting so much. It worked. I use a pillow at night over my abdomen to protect it from any dog or cat that may get the impulsive thought of climbing onto my bed. although they would get thrown into the air if they did that, I am well protected from them and wandering arms of my sleeping partner.

Speaking of sucking air... keep using the air sucker plastic thing so you don't cough or get lungs congested. I had a little fluid, so I figured... what a tiny cough.. OMG, DON"T. NO NO NO NO, don't cough. Ouch. Horrid. So every single hour, yes every hour suck on that air tube thing and open your lungs.

Bowels were moving today for the first time since surgery. Explosive, liquid, disgusting stuff. Impressive. I didn't expect that at all. Now I'm gurgling and things are moving. Painful when intestines move around. I guess that Prune Juice on ice in the crystal glass was the motivating factor with that today.

Walking around the house is difficult because of pressure in my abdomen. Its easier after I've been up for a couple minutes but the first few are rough. I only do five minutes or eight minutes at a time, then rest a bunch more. Sitting is uncomfortable today on day three. I'm hoping tomorrow will be better. Time to take a Lunesta and get some sleep.

It does get better.
Unread 10-08-2007, 10:05 PM
Oh my

Oh my, Kim. You made me laugh with your Target story. It still hurts to laugh a little, but it sure is good to laugh!
Unread 10-08-2007, 10:24 PM

Dear Wandering Rose,

You have been on my mind since I read your post. Just wanted you to know that I will continue to keep you in my thoughts and prayers and I'm sure our other "sisters" will too. Please let us know how you are doing and keep us posted on your tests.

Take care & may God bless you and keep you strong : )

Kim

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register