Lists for Post & Pre-Op shopping and preparation! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Lists for Post & Pre-Op shopping and preparation! Lists for Post & Pre-Op shopping and preparation!

Unread 12-17-2006, 08:36 PM
Lists for Post & Pre-Op shopping and preparation!

Hi Everyone!

I have been on this website numerous times and think that it is great for information and support.

I have been able to find a suggested list of items to take into the hospital with you where on the site, however I wonder if anybody has anything they wish to add and if there is also a list of things to have ready for when I arrive home on the site or if you all have some suggestions!!!

I am 30 years old and am having my surgery on January 17th. I was finally diagnosed with endometriosis when I was 20, however I have had symptoms since I was 8 years old - yes I started my periods when I was just 8!!!

I am looking forward to having the surgery in some ways as I have been in pain for so long, however, it is a big step. The Dr has said that due to all of the surgeries I have had (about a dozen) that there is myofascial pain in my abdomen due to scarring that may still cause me chronic pain afterwards, but it is worth a try!!!

No children - told never really had a chance and feel a little mournful about that - and although it sounds odd wonder if I will feel any less of a woman - odd I know!!?? Maybe just the hormones talking!

Any suggestions or support is appreciated! Good luck to you all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-17-2006, 08:44 PM

To the hospital I took Lysol disinfecting wipes, my own TP, a shawl in addition to all the "regular things".
At home I had grocery shopped for comfort foods and easy to prepare things to at least get us through a few days. I made sure my bedroom was ready. In my case, I had all my Christmas shopping done, house decorated and Christmas letter ready to be mailed out. Prepare any birthday cards, bills, etc. ahead of time for about 3 weeks after your surgery - then anyone can just mail them for you.
Arrange help for 2 weeks. Some can get by with less time than that, but it's easier to "cancel" your help than to scramble trying to line up more help later.
Unread 12-17-2006, 09:36 PM

I brought my own squishy small pillow (filled with foam beads) that was extremely helpful to protect my abdomen. I also brought earplugs, an Ipod with relaxation tapes, really nice loose pajamas (which I wore after the first day)and a small soft nap blanket. I found a headband to be useful, since I couldnt wash or do much with my hair for a few days. I brought my own herb tea and powdered miso soup to sip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-17-2006, 09:55 PM

Hi canuckincalgary and

We're happy to have you as a member of the Hystersisters community! There is a ton of solid information on the site, and it sounds like you have done a fine job of navigating around and finding some of it!

Dozens and dozens of helpful pre-surgery and post-surgery suggestions shared by Hystersisters.com members are located here:

Hints & Tips for Your Hysterectomy

Do yourself a favor and do some reading there!

Many s and Best Wishes,
Unread 12-17-2006, 10:41 PM

You might think of some way to help you up and down out of bed after you get home from the hospital. You don't say what type of surgery you are going to have done. But either way for awhile it may be difficult getting in out of bed by yourself. There have been differnet ideas on this subject. I bought a rail that went under my mattress from Dr Leonards.com that helped me when standing uo and well as I could grab it to roll over in bed or pull myself up in bed. Some have said that they had there husbands tied a rope to the ends of there beds and then they had it to help them pull their selves up in bed. Anyway there are a couple of ideas on that subject. Also I bought me those small travel pillows and they were just the right size to go up next to my incision and helped to sleep with at the hospital and when I came home also. Hope these ideas helped you some. God bless with your up coming surgery.
Unread 12-18-2006, 07:59 AM

I didn't have a rope, but my husband tied a sheet to the end of the bed and made knots in it every 6-8 inches --- absolutely the best thing for easier "ins and outs" of bed!! I really believe that's why I have had NO pain since about Day 12 (AND I had INFECTION).

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register