Pituitary tumor/prolactinoma | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pituitary tumor/prolactinoma Pituitary tumor/prolactinoma

Unread 01-29-2013, 10:39 PM
Pituitary tumor/prolactinoma

Well I am off to the doctor again tomorrow... I still have not been diagnosed, but for anyone that may be curious, my symptoms were long but mostly involved heavy bleeding for months, no bleeding for months, spotting and cramping.

Yesterday, I had a newly noticed' symptom, lactation! Yikes! I realize now, this would be my third time feeling 'engorged' over the past 2 1/2 years. Yesterday it hurt so bad, I checked to see if there was anything, there was.

So on to my research I went... A pituitary tumor that causes elevated levels of prolactin, which in turn cause almost ALL my symptoms! (I know it is weird, but I would be very happy to find out I had a brain tumor, strange indeed, but a diagnosis offers hope!)

So the heck with it, I want answers, called doctor, getting prolactin levels drawn and MRI of uterus to confirm or rule out adenomyosis. I can't take not knowing anymore!

Anyone else suspect something like this? Or have been through this and can share their experience?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-30-2013, 02:15 PM
Re: Pituitary tumor/prolactinoma

I was diagnosed with a benign pituitary microadenoma years ago. They suspected it when they discovered that my prolactin level was high and a CT scan confirmed it. I was monitored with yearly MRI's until it mysteriously disappeared all on its own. I honestly haven't had my prolactin level checked in awhile, but am more concerned with the possibilty of endometrial cancer right now. Going in for a D&C and a hysteroscopy tomorrow. If a pituitary tumor is small, then they can oftentimes just keep an eye on it. They are almost always non-malignant. If its bigger or starts to cause further problems, they can remove it surgically (which they usually do transsphenoidally, either through the nose, or over the upper gums). Sometimes they can treat imbalances with medication. Good luck, I hope they figure out what's going on so that you can get things fixed. Having things up in the air can be more stressful than finally having a diagnosis and being able to put a plan of action into place.
Unread 01-31-2013, 12:04 AM

Thanks for your response and sharing your experience. I am sorry you are worried about endo cancer, it is a scary thing for sure. I went through that two years ago, so I am sure you can see why I would be relieved with if i actually had a brain tumor. I had my prolactin drawn this morning, so I will be anxiously awaiting those results. I, of course, expect them to come back normal, like everything else! I just wish I could get a diagnosis.

I will pray that your D&C and hysteroscopy will be clear. Keep in touch and let me know how that goes for you. And take it easy for a few days, it can take a bit out of you that you don't expect!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-31-2013, 04:24 PM

My prolactin levels came back as normal. Now what? I have a mammogram scheduled for next week, so now I can add "breast issues" to the long list of symptoms without diagnosis.

Someday....maybe I will find an answer and treatment. Although. Am glad that I checked this option, because I sure would have been upset if I had a hysterectomy only to find out it was a brain tumor.

How did your appt go today? I know you won't have results for a day or two, but keep in touch! i am praying for you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register