Birth Control used as way of controlling endo, as anyone done this? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Birth Control used as way of controlling endo, as anyone done this? Birth Control used as way of controlling endo, as anyone done this?

Unread 08-04-2006, 10:07 AM
Birth Control used as way of controlling endo, as anyone done this?

I had a daignostic Lap. done on the 18th of July and during that time the Dr. scraped and burned endo off of my bladder. He made mention that my uterus is not firm but "saggy" as a result of edno. I also have a fibroid tumor on the back of my uterus.

He is placing me on birth control to suppress my period for 3 month time frames, basically I will take a low dose BCP continuously and only take the last pills the third month to trigger my period. Due to the fact I have High blood pressure, the Dr will monitor me closely and make sure that my HBP behaves while on the birth control pills. If it does not then we will have to try something else.

Has anyone else tried BCP to control endo and if so how has it worked for you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-04-2006, 05:34 PM

Hi

Lots of endo sufferers do start treatment by trying BCP's. My BCP use was a long time ago. I didn't like being on the pill, but it did help for a little while. I had headaches on it, but then also discovered I got headaches with my own hormonal swings just as much. That was back before they were doing the continuous use - I would have been interested in that option. Sounds like a good starting place.

Endo can be really frustrating. I hope they find something that helps you feel better and hope your BP is able to be controlled.

Best wishes & gentle s,
Beth
Unread 08-04-2006, 07:00 PM

Hallo mzintraining!

I had a D&C last December to remove a thick uterine lining. I also have fibroids. My doc placed a Mirena IUD in my uterus which gives off progesterone locally (in the uterus only) to keep the lining thin...and it has worked beautifully. Insurance companies do not yet accept the Mirena as a proper treatment for this, but it really does work. However, I do not know whether it would be near enough to tackle your bladder area issue. It could help keep your fibroid(s) small, though. (It may have helped me, but I still have one fibroid growing which needs to come out next week.)
At any rate, I mention the Mirena IUD to you because if your doc mostly wants you to have progesterone the Mirena IUD could mean you wouldn't need to take the BC pill orally ~ which would surely be gentler on your whole system. Maybe see what your doc thinks.
All the best to you! Please keep us posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-05-2006, 08:12 AM

There's a thread not too far down this page called "Ovulation Supression" that discusses this very thing.
Unread 08-05-2006, 12:34 PM

I did bcp for years for endo. I too have high blood pressure. I used depo provera the most. I didn't get my period at all and it didn't effect my blood pressure.

Hopefully your doctor will find what is best for you.
Unread 08-07-2006, 01:19 AM

I was on birth control pills for years to help control my long, heavy periods. Did it help my endo? I am not sure, but I was able to give birth to two boys even though I was found to have stage IV endo at the age of 25 and my organs had not adhered together yet. So, I think it must have helped.

The way birth control pills can help those of us with endo is that when they prevent you from ovulationg, they trick your body into not allowing endometrial proliferation -- the thickening of the uterus wall that would allow for a pregnancy. As endo is the endometrial lining of the uterus residing outside the uterus, it reacts as if it were in the uterus, but it can not shed. Thus it becomes inflammed, spreads, causes adhesions, etc. Thus, if you take birth control pills that prevent ovulation, the endo will be tricked into not trying to shed and thus causing spreading, adhesions, inflammation, etc.

So for some ladies, they do help. They are definitely worth a try in my opinon.

Many best wishes to you and do keep us posted! I hope the birth control pills will be a successful treatment for you!
Unread 08-08-2006, 12:55 PM

Thank you all for sharing your stories and advice.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register