Scheduled dVH/RALH Two IVs for RALH?? Now I'm Freaking Out! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Two IVs for RALH?? Now I'm Freaking Out! Two IVs for RALH?? Now I'm Freaking Out!

Unread 05-13-2013, 08:08 PM
Two IVs for RALH?? Now I'm Freaking Out!

I've been reading up on daVinci assisted hysterectomy reports and it appears that it is very common for them to use TWO IVs ("just in case"). Uh, really?!? Do they really need TWO IVs for the daVinci assisted surgeries?!?

That really worries me, I was already stressing about one IV (I have a phobia of needles) and now TWO needles/IVs are down right freaking me out. My body also tends to reject the IVs and my veins easily 'blow out' and when that happens they usually have to reinsert them (hence my concern about even one IV).

Anyway, now I am thinking on asking my GYN to NOT use the daVinci. As the more I read about it, the more I don't like it and it wasn't my choice when we talked about the procedure. I did agree to laparoscopic, but then the GYN was the one that said she would do it laparoscopically via daVinci.

I honestly don't care about the smaller incisions and faster healing at this point. Two IVs, a recent recall of the instruments/chance of burning, being tilted at an angle during surgery (which due to my blood pressure I'm not sure I can even handle), etc just outweighs the advantage of a faster recovery.

How much can I insist with my GYN that she completes it WITHOUT the daVinci?? And how much more difficult is a laparoscopic with NOT using the daVinci?? Have any of you refused a daVinci??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-13-2013, 08:13 PM
Re: Two IVs for RALH?? Now I'm Freaking Out!

I had a TAH and I got 2 iv's as well. One was put in before I got to the OR and the other 1 after I was asleep. As far as requesting something different all I can suggest is to present to your GYN exactly what your concerns are and see what she has to say. There is always the option to get a second opinion too. I'm sorry you are having a rough go about and I hope you are able to get things worked out to fit what is best for you and what makes you feel most comfortable! ((Hugs)). Hang in there!!
Unread 05-14-2013, 05:11 AM

Most if not all surgeries they will have 2 ivs in. It is only to protect you! They do this because during surgery you tend to lose blood no matter how careful they are. So they have to be able to replace it easily, and god for bid you have complications where they need to give you medicine they need to have the access. Some meds they give you react with each other and cannot be run at the same time. S there is another reason for 2 ivs. You can request it but i can tell you your saftey is going to come first and you will most likely get the 2 nd one after you are asleep. They will usually take the 2 nd one out before you wake up though. Unless they feel the need to keep it in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-14-2013, 06:24 AM

The uncomfortable thing about being in for surgery is, there are a lot of things we don't enjoy but that are a must for our health and safety. Depending on the compassion and skill of our caregivers, it can be still a relatively tolerable experience. I have had a blown vein from an IV before and totally understand your concern, but I wouldn't necessarily put that concern higher than the surgical technique. And unfortunately, most surgeons definitely would not. In fact, I have a feeling the surgeon will barely even hear the concern, "I don't want two IVs." For them, that is a non issue...no one wants two IVs no one wants any! I am not trying to be funny...we don't want the catheter, we don't want most of what we are doing at all. It is a necessary evil to get safely through the surgery. Now of course I think your other concern is also valid- the recall of the scissors.
I think with all the needle phobias, the only way to get through it is with deep breathing, and imagery that in fact you are braver and stronger than the little piece of metal that is there to save your life. The needle itself will be out in a few seconds, and all that will be left is a pliable plastic that will allow the medicine to go in. I was actually thrilled with my IV when I realized it would avoid any other shots. Years ago in a different surgery, I still had to face injection after injection. Now that was torture
Please don't think I am minimizing your fears, I am not and I totally agree with them. It's one of those situations where we have to face it and get through them instead. You can do this, sister
Unread 05-14-2013, 08:35 AM

I agree that often 2 IVs is the norm, but you can ask them to place the 2nd when you're asleep. If you feel davinci is scary, have a discussion and ask about traditional laparoscopic surgery. The anesthesilogist will be managing your BP whatever the method. Davinci isn't the only way, although the Dr may be able to ease your mind. Personally I had a TVH and was very happy with it, so TVH or LAVH are something to discuss. You do need some level of comfort with the method used. Whatever you decide, best wishes for a good experience.
Unread 05-14-2013, 10:01 AM

I'm going to play Devil's Advocate.... How many DaVinci surgeries has your dr performed? Is she trying to up her numbers? My surgeon never uttered the words 'DaVinci' or 'robotic'. It wasn't his specialty and not what he felt was best for me. We decided on a vaginal at his suggestion. I was leaning toward LAVH but the added expense just seemed unnecessary for my case.... And certainly the cost of the robot wasn't even on my radar when he explained he could refer me to a colleague if that's what I wanted. I would strongly suggest a frank discussion with your surgeon and even a second opinion if you aren't satisfied. I hope you get the answers you need!

Oh and with the IVs... I'm a hard stick too. My GP suggested drinking 2 glasses of room temp water right before midnight to help plump the veins up. Room temp is the key for absorption before surgery. Your body has to warm up cold water before it can use it. You can ask for a numbing shot before the IV insertion, but know that it can cause veins to 'retract' a bit and make it harder to thread into the vein. Make sure you tell your nurse that you don't like needles and how your veins are.... and don't be afraid to ask for someone from their IV team to place it. That's all the team does is start IVs on difficult patients, down to the tiniest babies in the NICU.

Good luck in your decision, and don't settle if you aren't satisfied!
Unread 05-14-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince319 View Post
I've been reading up on daVinci assisted hysterectomy reports and it appears that it is very common for them to use TWO IVs ("just in case"). Uh, really?!? Do they really need TWO IVs for the daVinci assisted surgeries?!?

That really worries me, I was already stressing about one IV (I have a phobia of needles) and now TWO needles/IVs are down right freaking me out. My body also tends to reject the IVs and my veins easily 'blow out' and when that happens they usually have to reinsert them (hence my concern about even one IV).

Anyway, now I am thinking on asking my GYN to NOT use the daVinci. As the more I read about it, the more I don't like it and it wasn't my choice when we talked about the procedure. I did agree to laparoscopic, but then the GYN was the one that said she would do it laparoscopically via daVinci.

I honestly don't care about the smaller incisions and faster healing at this point. Two IVs, a recent recall of the instruments/chance of burning, being tilted at an angle during surgery (which due to my blood pressure I'm not sure I can even handle), etc just outweighs the advantage of a faster recovery.

How much can I insist with my GYN that she completes it WITHOUT the daVinci?? And how much more difficult is a laparoscopic with NOT using the daVinci?? Have any of you refused a daVinci??
I just had daVinci an only had one iv. As far as the positioning, I believe they use the same position with regular lap hysterectomy (without the robot).
Unread 05-14-2013, 12:41 PM

prince319,

How about a light sedative to get you to relax for the IVs?
Unread 05-14-2013, 05:00 PM

Prince13 -

You can definitely say this is not the type of surgery for me. Robotic surgeries are a form of minimally invasive surgeries. Traditional laproscopic surgery and single incision surgeries are other forms.

As mentioned also depending on what is going on you might also opt for a vaginal hysterectomy and there is the standard hysterectomy.

The thing you want to be concerned about is not the method in which the surgery is done but what will achieve the best outcome for you. Also are you confident with your surgeon and how their experience with the particular type of surgery they will perform.

Realize there are complications with all types of surgery, no matter the stats if they happen to you than you are a statistic of 1!

When I discussed robotic surgery with my gyn-oncologist he told me that initial recovery is 6 to 8 weeks more if you are a slow healer. Minimally invasive surgery patients are frequently fully recovered in 6 months where an abdominal surgery patient frequently takes 12 months.

I was a slower healer and surgical menopause and the stress of a cancer diagnosis did me no favors so I was in the longer recovery window. I was happy my surgeon told me that it was possible since I was stressed out as it was.

for whatever you decide is best for you.
Unread 05-14-2013, 08:00 PM

I also have a hard time with needles. When I found out I was going to need surgery for my abdominal mass which turned out to be uterine fibroids, I got some counseling sessions.

I knew that the IV needles were larger than those used for blood drawing and even that was scary to me. I asked the phlebotomists to use the pediatric needles when they came every morning to draw my blood.

I had abdominal surgery with 3 IV's. There were 2 in my left arm hooked up after surgery. There was also a port in my right hand, but it was not hooked up. The pre-op nurse was an angel. I explained my issues and she saw how nervous I was. She used lidocaine before starting the IV and I didn't feel anything. The other 2 were not started until after I was put under.

I was very glad that I was put under soon after being wheeled to the operating room. My first thought upon waking was "Its over.".

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register