Anesthesia | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 02-18-2012, 11:54 AM
Anesthesia

How many of you ladies had trouble with the anesthesia? I had my ablation 1.5 yrs ago & blew out one of my stitches because I was dry heaving. I'm not worried about the surgery or the recovery, I have a high tolerance to pain. I'm just concerned about the anesthesia and getting sick afterward. I am going to stress to the anesthesiologist about me getting sick with the last surgery so he/she can give me whatever I need while I'm under to help with nausea & vomiting. Thanks for reading! God bless!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-18-2012, 12:34 PM
Re: Anesthesia

I have had trouble with nausea after anesthesia. I had brain surgery two times last year. The first one, I opened up my incision when I vomited really hard after I'd had a fair amount of water. It happened when they helped me sit up. They asked what my nausea level was - I said 2 but as I sat up it went to 10 and then it was a mess. Not good.

The second go around, they gave me a lot more anti-nausea meds to start out with and only let me suck on little sponges of water for awhile. I never threw up that time, though I did have nausea on and off for a few days. While I was in the hospital, they gave me IV anti-nausea stuff regularly. Upon release, they sent me home with a prescription for anti-nausea stuff. I didn't need the prescription very much once at home.

I plan to let my anesthesiologist know about this. I expect they will be able to help me through it fairly well.

Good luck.
Unread 02-18-2012, 12:39 PM

I told them, I usually get motion sick. And they explained me, good to know and they will add sth special to the anaesthesia to avoid nausea and dizziness when I wake up.
I must say, it worked great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-18-2012, 01:32 PM

The chance of nausea after my operation was also my biggest fear! I just stressed this big time to the anaesthesiologist the morning of my surgery (when I first met him), told him I was really phobic about getting sick, especially in front of anyone else - He was so sweet, promised to load me up, to include an extra boost before I left the OR to go into the Recovery area. God bless him, I had no nausea whatsoever when I woke up. I was only able to drink little sips of ginger ale with a lot of ice chips in it for a few hours, and could not eat much for dinner, because I did feel if I pushed that I would feel nauseous, but by the next day lunchtime was chowing down on the great pancakes and eggs the hospital had. Just be really frank with the doctors that this is a huge concern and they should take good care of you. Best of luck!!
Unread 02-18-2012, 01:54 PM

Thanks ladies! I am really nervous about the nausea after waking up. Hopefully it won't happen this time around but the older I get after having surgery the worse it seems to get. I'm going to really put emphasis on my concern and hopefully I won't have much nausea.
Unread 02-18-2012, 02:08 PM

I told the anesthesiologist at my pre-op appointment that I tend to get nauseous and he gave me a prescription for 1 Emend pill. I took it the morning of my surgery and had no problems with nausea post-op.
Unread 02-18-2012, 10:26 PM

my doc put a patch on me before surgery and also gave me iv anti nausea meds as I woke up. Made it so nice since I had quite a bit of nausea after my first surgery and didn't want to deal with that again.
Unread 02-19-2012, 04:25 AM

I too told the anesthesiologist about my history of nausea/medication and he said he would hook me up with some anti-nausea something before I woke up. well, I woke up in recovery barfing, which I'm sure wasn't pleasant for the person next to me. Anyway - it was one or two yaks and then I settled down. The worst was that, because of that, I wasn't allowed ANYTHING for 24 hours - no water, nothing - that first 24 hours was truly the worst part of the gig, but only because I was SO thirsty. Once they took out the catheter and gave me a cup of water the next morning, I felt like a new woman.
Unread 02-19-2012, 10:00 AM

They put a patch behind my ear before I went into surgery so I guess that helped because I didn 't feel sick when I woke up. The only time I really felt nausous was when they got me up to walk the first time-about 3 hrs out of recovery. I felt really sick and they gave me some Zofan and I was fine after that.
Unread 02-19-2012, 02:06 PM

Even though I have never had a problem with anesthesia, they gave me anti-nausea meds through the IV before the surgery even started. The only time I felt nauseous was after surgery, in the room, when I had some broth and then crackers. It was the crackers that didn't sit well and I knew it right away so stopped eating them. My nurse gave me more anti-nausea meds and I was good to go from then on. Be your own advocate, speak up if you need help, and good luck!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register