Scheduled TAH Ultrasound results?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ultrasound results?? Ultrasound results??

Unread 06-23-2009, 01:44 AM
Ultrasound results??

Hello Ladies!
I am scheduled for my TAH (including ovaries) on July 7th. My doctor called me with the results of my ultrasound. I full expected her to tell me that I had fibroids or tumors (esp. on my left side- the majority of my pain is from that side). She told me that my ultrasound looked normal?! I was completely shocked. Even the woman who gave me the ultrasound implied that there was something going on- on my left side- without me saying anything to her about the pain on that side. She spent 90% of the ultrasound taking pictures of the left side too!

Ok, so regardless what the ultrasound says, we are going through with the TAH because of the pain I am in and a whole gamete of other problems.

Now for the question: I am 100% positive that I have endo. But I am still curious about nothing showing up on the ultrasound when I was almost positive I had fibroids. Has anyone else had this happen to them? And did they find anything once they did do the TAH? I am going to request a pathology report but I am curious if anyone else had that same story as me?

Thanks ladies for all your advice!
Amanda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-23-2009, 06:07 AM
Re: Ultrasound results??

i'm not positive but i dont think endo shows up on ultrasounds. have you had a lap done to see what is causing all the pain on your left side?
Unread 06-23-2009, 09:41 AM

When I had my ultrasound I could see darker areas where my endometrioma was. It was at a time during my cycle when it was very full of blood though. When I went in for my pelvic exam before the us my doctor could feel nothing. If I had gone in during a different part of my cycle, there would have been no mistaking the round bulge that would appear each month. Does that make sense? What is happening that makes you think that you have endo? Since the only way to be certain is with surgery, I guess that you will soon have your answer. All the best to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-23-2009, 10:21 AM

I have been told that endo does not show up on ultrsaounds. However when had I my ultrasound done the woman who gave it to me said that my endo lining was very thick, which is usually a sign of endo. I was not on my period at that time.

I think I am just having a hard time believing that endo is the cause of all my problems. If you look at the list of symptoms for endo (believe me I have looked at MANY different lists of symptoms)- I have almost every single one.

Since my options were slim, we didn't run any other tests because TAH was the best option for me anyway.
Unread 06-23-2009, 10:28 AM

My endometriosis did NOT show up on the ultrasound. I was told my my US was normal and that I had nothing but "tiny harmless fibroids". But I was in severe, constant, disabling pelvic pain. 2 months after my "normal" US, the pathology from my hysterectomy/BSO showed that I had endo in several places including uterosacral ligament, bladder, and bowels, Severe, deep adenomyosis, degenerating fibroid tumors, ovarian cysts, cysts in the fallopian tubes, cervix problems, granular areas, surface of uterus was inflamed with chronic infection, uterine polyps, etc. There was so much there that the ultrasound missed! So, my doctors kept telling me it was all in my head. It turned out I had pre-cancer in uterus. I had to be persistant and push for a laparoscopy/hysteroscopy and then my surgery. If your can feel something or you have pain, something is wrong and needs to be diagnosed with the proper tests. The ACOG guidelines are that after 6 months of chronic pelvic pain, gyncologists should DO something. (My doctor could feel nothing during pelvic exam and she was SURE nothing was wrong with me.) I had to go to several new Ob/GYNs to find a doctor who would truly listen to me and act. Years were wasted while the pelvic problems only worsened. You may need to keep trying with a new doctor who has experience with the latest tests and surgical techniques.
Unread 06-23-2009, 10:32 AM

Ah. So perhaps it was not the endo that I was seeing. The first thing that my doctor asked me when the tech went to get her was if there was a history of endo in my family, so perhaps I made a wrong assumption about the dark area on the us. Have you spoken to your doctor about the "what ifs?" If you do have endo, a TAH can give the surgeon great access for removal, and excision of the endo is also a good idea. That is what my doctor did. Since you and your doctor are at odds about what is going on, I think that a second opinion would be a good idea. Take care!
Unread 06-23-2009, 10:53 AM

You can also get great endo access for removal, and excision through a laparoscopy. Before you have an open TAH, please look at the minimally invasive options. I learned the hard way. My first surgery was supposed to be a LAVH. For no reason, my doctor did a TAH. It was horrible for me and TAH damages your body unnecessarily. My doctor left the endo inside even though she opened me up in a TAH! I had to find an honest doctor and have a SECOND surgery. This time a gynecological oncologist did complete excicion of endo with a total laparoscopic surgery. It was so much easier to recover from and TLH causes less injury. I had post op complications from my first TAH. My incision ruptured and bled for 6 weeks. Now, two years later, the incision is like a speed bump across my pubic area and it's ropy and feels like it's burning all the time. The bump shows through my clothes and is emabarrassing! I love the water but now I can't go in public in a swim suit! I HATE this. It was so unnecessary and all because my lazy doctor breached my informed consent and did a TAH, then LEFT the endo inside. Anyway, subsequent gynecologists said a TAH was not necessary and they think my first surgeon was just comfortable doing C-sections and TAH. I was also told that gynecolgocal oncologists are the best ones to remove endo because endo cells grow like cancer on your organs. Gynecolgocal oncologists are very used to removing microscopic cells and recognizing errant endo cells. I never would have known this until I was told. In total laparoscopic procedures, the doctors can see more with the microscope and look in nooks and crannies. In the TAH, doctors don't see as well without microscopes. Once I found an excellent, compassionate Gynecolgocal oncologist three hours from my home, I was in good hands. I just had my second surgery that removed all the endo and adhesions from earlier TAH on May 21, 2009. Please don't let a doctor who is not an endo expert do your surgery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register