New here...should I or should I not ?'s... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New here...should I or should I not ?'s... New here...should I or should I not ?'s...

Unread 10-25-2005, 07:30 AM
New here...should I or should I not ?'s...

Good morning all!! I am totally new to all this so please bear with me.
Dear land...where to start?? It was recently suggested to me that I should get a D&C and ablasion or hysterectomy due to increasingly worse periods. Been there, done that with ablasion and I am right back again. In high school and college my periods were just awful. Then I was put on BC which alleviated most of the pain and regulated my periods. I am now 40 and the past few years, they have been getting worse...both pain and bleeding/tissue. My mother had a hysterectomy just before she turned 50 for fibrocystic tumors. I now have them too, only not as large. My question...should I really consider this life changing event or should I try Bio-Identical Hormones first to see if that will work?? I would love the idea of no more periods, pain, pills, etc; but am I just trading some problems in for others? Also, I have no idea what hot flashes or night sweats are like...I only know that I have to kick off the covers at night now...or change to a tshirt bc I wake up hot and can't get back to sleep. Lands sake...I sound like I am totally clueless, don't I??? Any advice is definitely appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-25-2005, 07:48 AM

Hi there,
I'm not sure what Bio-Identical Hormones are. I am 3 1/2wks out of having a TAH with my ovaries kept and can't remember when I last felt so good. I am only 36yrs. This was the best decision I made for me. I tried lots of other treatments before reaching this decision, I felt I owed that to myself and my family. The surgery really wasn't that difficult for being major surgery, I was expecting worse. If you are unsure of what to do, may I suggest you visit another doctor to get another opinion, I visited 3 to get all the info I needed on my condition to make an informed choice. Hang in there, this forum is great for support, info and prayer.
Lilly
Unread 10-25-2005, 08:07 AM

Thanks Lilly!! I have an appt with another doctor this morning who actually has some experience with bio-identicals (hormones more biologically identical to what our bodies naturally produce). I am thinking about trying this first before surgery. This website is a definite god-send! I first found it about 2 years ago while I was still in military active-duty and was thinking about a hysterectomy back then. I couldn't wait to sign up now! :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-25-2005, 08:19 AM

Hi...I am 31, and had a total abdom hyst w/ ovaries/uterus removed in August. I spent from about age 19 having painful, heavy periods that lasted 7 days, mid cycle pain, complicated pregnancy at 24, and and even worse complicated pregnancy at 25. 1st ended in emergency c section delivered 37 wks, and 2nd - almost lost - rh disease,emergency c section/tubal ligation ( 34 weeks). A year or so later, my problems got worse. I ended up w/ 2 laparoscopies, a number of trips to ER for pelvic pain, mid cycle pain, and horrific painful periods. I have been on bcpills, Lupron, and Danazol - nothing worked, so I fought for a hysterectomy, and prevailed. I tried all that I could and realized that they hysterectomy was the best option. Post surgery, found out my left ovary and tube had atrophied. That made me feel better about my decision because over the past few years, nothing could be pinpointed other than endo/adhesions - constant guesswork. I am on HRT ( Climara patch), and haven't had that pain since. ( The HRT helps offset nightsweats and menopausal symptoms) My advice to you is to follow your gut. If you feel that other treatments arent working, then having the hyst might be an option for you. Any surgery is a risk, but for me, my quality of life was more important. Lilly36 has a very important point. Make sure you get 2nd/ even 3rd opinion, so you are making an informed choice. I am at higher risk for osteoporosis, heart disease, etc etc. but at the same time, my life has improved to the point that I can actually feel "normal" again. That is something that I wouldnt trade for the world. Hysterectomy and recovery is a long process, but for me, it was worth it. Please know that we are all here for you. This website has helped me in ways that I could never imagine. God bless and I hope you find happiness and peace.
Unread 10-26-2005, 12:26 AM

Definitely get a second opinion, that's my opinion.

For me any doctor who suggests a hyst for what you described I would run screaming from his/her office never to return. The reason I say this is because at 40 you are in the peri-menopausal years which means your hormones are totally out of whack, and usually oestrogen dominant which would explain the horrible periods. It sounds like you are deficient in progesterone.

Unfortunately many doctors put women on oestrogen when they need progesterone, fibroids are a classic case, they are oestrogen fed.

I would discuss with your doctor perhaps the Mirena coil which releases progesteron directly into the uterus and it doesn't enter the blood stream as HRT would and from what I hear it has had really good success.

Definitely try the natural hormones as well. Just one point when you do the saliva or blood tests it is important to have a few done during the months, if this doctor doesn't do this I would ask why. One blood test won't show a pattern of your hormones during the month, it will just show that point in time and isn't a good indicator for what is going on in your cycle.

I would suggest to investigate all your options, heavy periods are no reason for hysterectomy. Treat the cause not the symptom.

Good luck
Unread 10-26-2005, 06:33 AM

Thank you all! I appreciate all your advice. From the looks of things, she will probably put me on something for thyroid and progesterone at the least. I have my next appointment with her on Friday morning, so I will have an update then. I will keep you posted.

Trish
Unread 10-26-2005, 03:04 PM

Hi
I am on thyroid meds for underactive thyroid. I have been on this for 8 years. My gynae probs haven't got any better. For me, having the hysterectomy is the last resort but I feel it is my only hope of feeling better. I have tried everything suggested by my gynae consultant without much effect. So the only thing left for me is to carry on suffering or have TAH.

You sound like you still have doubts. It is only your choice to make and you have to do what is right for you. If you feel that you need to try every last option, then do that. After all it is a major op that cannot be reversed .

I hope you feel better soon.
Unread 10-26-2005, 05:07 PM

To Treacle Toffee:
I was in a similiar boat as you only I was on thyroid meds for 2 years instead of 8. I also suffered much the same of what you are referring to. My gyn problems got worse as time went on, not better, so my TAH was the right decision by far. After my initial recovery, I didnt have that pain any longer. I still have slight pain at my incision site, and wierd cramps sometimes/muscle aches, but nothing compared to what I went through before. I just wanted to let you know that there is definitely hope, and possibility for some form of leading a "normal" life again! Take care!
Unread 10-27-2005, 06:39 PM

Taebogal,

I can't help with the bio-hormones, I don't really know that much about them. When I was doing the hormone therapy to try and stop the heavy bleeding, they weren't available. I was told I was peri-menopausal starting at 34. I was treated with progesterone(sp?) twice and it did give some relief......for awhile anyway. I also tried herbals and diet too. It helped but wasn't a solution.

At least if you try the bio-identical hormones and get little or no relief, you'll at least have that alternative tried and behind you.

My suggestion is research bio-identical hormones so that you know the right questions to ask this second Doctor your going too.

Hysterectomy should always be the last option. And a second and even third opinion if those differ is never a bad idea. I do understand though about being so tired of trying this and that only for the problems to begin again.

And if your problem is fibroids, they are estrogen fed and sometimes can be shrunk with hormone therapy. Everybody is different though and you will have to search for the answers as to what is best for you.

As far as hysterectomy throwing you into menopause.....I had a TAH and kept one ovary 13 weeks ago. I am still considered early in recovery, but so far I have had no problems. And by retaining my ovary, which has woke up (surgery can make them sleepy) and is working, I have had no menopausal symptoms.

Remember it is best to research your options, talk to your doctor and if your not satisfied, seek another opinion. At least that way if you do choose hysterectomy, you will know it was the best option for you. And you can face it with no unrealistic expectations.

My best to you in your quest for knowledge,
Theresa
Unread 10-27-2005, 09:33 PM

Heavy periods are so common during our 40s that they could be said to be normal. The inconvience they pose is not really a reason for a surgery as risky as a hysterectomy. You will find many women who will respond to your query saying that hysterectomy was the next best invention to sliced bread. I personally find this puzzeling.

1. With my hysterectomy I suffered loss of sensation that alerts me how full my bladder is. I have been told by a prominant urologist that if this sitution improves it will take years. Unknown if it will improve. So far it hasn't.
2. Altered sexual response. (Loss of uterine contribution to climax, Yes-- I notice it and miss it!)
3. Lopsided surgical incision in my abdomen.
4. 1year + post op and my abdomen is still numb over the incision.
5. Gross swelly belly shelf. Also not an uncommon complaint. My abdomen looks gross from the side. I am considering abdominal plasty to correct it. My abdomen was ok prior to surgery.
6. Brain fuzz post op. Read the post op forum long enough and you will see this is a common complaint. This is pretty scarry and a completely unacceptable risk.
7. Increased of incontinence later in life. The average risk is bad enough. Why would anyone want to increase the risk????
8. My ureter was sutured during surgery. This is minor next to the urinary complications that other women suffer. Not the majority I admit, but it does happen and you better have a darn good reason to risk this! Do pay attention to all the possible surgical complications as they happen to someone.

If you have gotten this far in life with your periods, why have surgery for a situation that will correct itself within a few years? At menopause your periods will cease! Your periods may even improve prior to menopause. Mine did, you may not be facing 10 mores years of inconvience.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register