why does it hurt to sleep on your side? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

why does it hurt to sleep on your side? why does it hurt to sleep on your side?

Unread 02-13-2009, 07:18 AM
why does it hurt to sleep on your side?

why does it hurt to sleep on your side? is that only for TAH or does it apply to any hysterectomy?

because i sleep on my side or tummy..and figure i will be better off sleeping on my side........ even though i am having a TVH.....

will a body pillow help?

i am so happy ..my hubby is buying me two 100% cotton gowns for after my surgery... even though all cotton is expensive.. i would love the nightshirt that says pamper the princess from here...but it is too short... my gowns will be mid calf.. nightshirts (because of my belly end at mid thigh....or maybe at the knee if i am lucky....which means when i bend over i moon the children.... i don't want to do that...)

could you guys consider making a longer all cotton gown?

hugs to all,
jamesgirl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-13-2009, 07:32 AM

I think it's just the swelly belly that makes it uncomfortable to sleep on my side. I had a TAH, so I don't know what sort of swelly belly happens with the VH. It's not so much pain as an uncomfortable pulling sensation that prevented me from side sleeping. Pillows didn't do a lot to get rid of that feeling for a few weeks. I'm 6 1/2 weeks post op now and the right side still bothers a little, left side is pretty ok. A pillow does help. This morning I spent a whole half hour comfortably on my tummy (swelling down after a night's sleep)!
Unread 02-13-2009, 07:35 AM

pulling sensation on the inside (like vaginal cuff?) or on the outside (incision?)

i plan on seriously doing just about nothing for 6 weeks..so hopefully my swelly belly won't get too bad.....

thanks for answering...... and congrats on being able to sleep comfortable on your tummy for a little bit this morning....

hugs,
jamesgirl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-13-2009, 07:44 AM

Also things haven't found their new place in your body and move on you. When I slept on my side, since things were still swollen and mucscles were out of shape or relaxed or whatever things would feel like they were sliding. Yes a body pillow will definitely help because you can use it to support your tummy. I have a pillow (actually a stuffed animal) that I still use (12 weeks post op) to support my stomach at times and I had a robotic procedure so much smaller external incisions (same stuff on the inside though). The first couple of weeks I slept on my back but I used pillows behind me to prop me up at an angle (sort of like a hospital bed) or I slept in a recliner (borrowed one that was electric for first few nights and used my regular recliner later but had help putting the foot rest down). It wasn't until maybe 3rd or 4th week I felt like I could sleep on my side.
Unread 02-13-2009, 08:17 AM

thanks TaurusLady

sorry about your cancer diagnosis... are you okay now?

hugs,
jamesgirl
Unread 02-13-2009, 08:35 AM
thanks

From the cancer perspective - caught early and no further treatment but will be watched for a time. Right now I see my gyn / onc every 3 to 4 months for first 1 to 2 years and then we'll see if it drops to 6 months or 1x a year.

Still sorting out some emotional items some related to hyster and some just related to mid-life.

Physical side I am doing better.

Thanks for asking
Unread 02-13-2009, 08:38 AM

i am so glad your cancer was caught early .....!

yeah i am hitting that midlife thing myself.. i turn 40 four days before my surgery!

i am trying to look at the surgery like a birthday present for me!

but yeah i have been up and down emotionally about it too........

i just don't think its fair to have *wrinkles and acne at the same time*

hugs,
jamesgirl
Unread 02-13-2009, 09:41 AM

I didn't really have a problem sleeping on my side after my TVH. I remember curling up on my side in my hospital bed trying to find a comfortable position since I'm a tummy sleeper. I did use my body pillow when I got home and could really get comfortable snuggling around it.

Big s to your DH for buying you lovely new recovery gowns! I also wore cotton gowns and have some that are around mid-calf to ankle length. I love them. The main thing is to just be comfortable!

Best wishes!

Deb
Unread 02-13-2009, 09:50 AM

The pulling sensation is more internal than external. Disconcerting.
Unread 02-13-2009, 10:11 AM

Hi Jamesgirl
Had a TAH on 12 Jan and found sleeping on my left side okay. Remarkably it was my left side that was most comfortable to sleep on despite the fact that side was and is still most tender. I wedged a pillow on the left side and rolled onto it. I too am a tummy/side sleeper and struggled with this for the first 3 weeks. When I tried to roll onto my right, the pulling and pain from the incision up to my left hip was unbearable. Now at 4 1/2 weeks I can sleep on both sides fairly comfortably.

As to nightdresses, in Ireland and England I searched high and low to find one that wouldn't show off any part of my anatomy and didn't look like my grannies, to no avail. I eventually found one that looked like a grandmothers, but I made due. While I was in London I found some flannel trousers for sleeping that I bought two pairs of. I purchased them 1-2 sizes too big. The nightgown was a waste cause I absolutely hated the feeling of having nothing to support my belly bar knickers..(underwear). So I used the flannel trousers instead. They are so comfy. They were from The Gap and I am delighted with them.

As for body pillows, I would have given anything for one in the first three weeks. Perhaps even now...

Also, if you haven't got a Swelly Belly binder, do get one. If you are a side sleeper they are soft enough to put on an catch a nap in and it gives your belly the support it needs. Another thing I did not have and regretted. I received a belly binder at two weeks and it changed everything. It gives great support while walking etc. It stops me from feeling the need to walk around protecting a belly that didn't feel like it was mine. Strange feeling.

All the Best on your surgery. Hope this helps a tiny bit. From the reading I had done even ladies that had a TVH can suffer with this pulling feeling and pain in one side and not the other. I posted a thread about my own struggle with this.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register