Scheduled for hysterectomy and getting no family support! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scheduled for hysterectomy and getting no family support! Scheduled for hysterectomy and getting no family support!

Unread 02-14-2009, 02:40 AM
Scheduled for hysterectomy and getting no family support!

I am rather new to this site but I am so thrilled that I found it. I am scheduled to have my hysterectomy done on 3/3/09. I do not know if it will be done vaginally ( the doctor said they would try ) or abdominally. I am getting absolutely no support from my family exceptfor my husband who is being completely wonderful about it all. I just went to the gyno for the consult 2 days ago and he said that I needed to have this done as soon as possible. I have known that it was coming for a long time and I have tried to research and educate myself as much as I can, but I am still having so much anxiety over it and having to deal with my family is driving me completly nuts. Most of my family thinks that I am just having this surgery done to get attention, but I have had endometriosis since the age of 14. I am 30 now. They seem to think that I should just tolerate the pain because "pain has never killed anyone." I have not had a pain-free day in over 2 years now and my doctor has been suggesting this for a long time. Does anyone know of a better way to cope with the criticism of making the decision to try to make your quality of life better? And any other advice would be greatly appreiciated. By the way, my husband is set to deploy 4 weeks after my hysterectomy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-14-2009, 06:16 AM

I'm happy to meet you. This is a great place to be when gacing a hysterectomy. The ladies sre great with sharing experiences, info and support.

I'm sorry that your family is not understanding with you. There's an article here that may be able to help you some :
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/article_117127.htm

It's good to hear that your DH is there for you. Please give him my thanks for all that's he's doing for our country

Unread 02-14-2009, 07:52 AM

That stinks about your family. I'm having my hyster on Fed 17th. I think you should shut them out. Refuse their phone calls, lock the doors. Seriously! The last thing you need right now is unsupportive people.

I'm more afraid of the surgery itself. Yesterday, I had my pre-op testing at the hospital and 3 ladies there told me "oh, you're going to feel so much better!" because they'd had hysters themselves. It was a comfort for them to tell me that.

Hang in there. Hug your sweet husband and ignore everyone else!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-14-2009, 04:04 PM

Frankly, the opinions of your family are irrelevant. It's really that simple. It is entirely up to you how much you are going to let them get to you.

Incessant pain is dangerous to your health. It weakens the immune system and affects your blood pressure. It interferes with your normal sleep pattern. It distracts you at best, weakens you at worse. It is not true that pain cannot kill you...it can.

It is stupid to live with pain if you do not have to. Sorry, but your family is nuts. Thankfully, your husband sounds like a gem.

<<hugs>>>
Unread 02-15-2009, 11:55 AM

You can't worry about what your family thinks. It is not a good quality of life to live in constant pain. If they had to walk in your shoes they would understand. Surround yourself with the people who will support you & I agree you just kinda have to ignore the people who are giving you a hard time. It is your life & you have the right to feel good! Best wishes.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register