15 more days till I get my LSH and Im nervous! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

15 more days till I get my LSH and Im nervous! 15 more days till I get my LSH and Im nervous!

Unread 04-19-2006, 03:01 PM
15 more days till I get my LSH and Im nervous!

Anyone else got an LSH? How did it go. I'm keeping my ovaries and my cervix. Of course if the doctors see that my ovaries are bad he will take them.
I know that when I ovulate my ovaries hurt so bad that I have to take something for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-19-2006, 03:25 PM

I'm having my LSH on the 28th. I will definitely let you know how things go. I have talked to several people who have had it done and they have been very happy with their results. One of the gals told me that she knows when she ovulates, but it is not like it used to be. Plus she has not had the mini-periods that they talk about. Actually of the people I have talked to noone has had those. So with those averages I will probably be the one who gets them!!LOL They both were back to work within 10 days but had to take it easy, no heavy lifting for a while. I am so ready to get this done. Good luck to you.
Unread 04-19-2006, 03:56 PM

I had an LSH on March 13th. Everything in the OR went well. Dr. is pleased. I had the swelly belly for a few days and then it would only come in the evening if I overdid it during the day.
I'm 5 weeks out and feel great. I get a little tender and the Dr. reminded me that my insides are still a bit inflamed so I am to take Alleve to help. I bled a bit last week but Dr. feels that it was the cauterization scabs on the cervix sloughing off so we'll see if I have the mini periods next month. You will know when you are ovulating but it is nothing like before. I was told that eventually everything down there will calm down to nothing. My veins will shrink etc.

You both will do great in your surgeries!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-19-2006, 04:17 PM

Thanks Ladies...I'm not feeling quite as nervous as I once was..
Unread 04-19-2006, 04:30 PM

PCOScyster-
I had my LSH just about 8 weeks ago, and I too had pretty severe pain when I ovulated before my surgery. Since then I haven't had any ovulation discomfort at all. I've been feeling pretty good actually, just kind of tired (had some IV complications). Good luck with your surgery!
Julie
Unread 04-19-2006, 06:24 PM

I had my LSH 4 weeks ago tomorrow and am feeling great. I went back to work today and everything was fine, I'm tired but that's normal. I had a "perfect" surgery and my recovery was uneventful. Just a few things for you to think about. You will probably have a foley catheter placed during surgery. I found mine to be uncomfortable and my doc agreed to take it out at 4:00 (surgery was at 9:30am). Since you have a breathing tube during surgery, your throat will be very dry and you'll be drinking lots of water - which means you'll have to pee alot! Once the catheter is out - that means when you have to go, you have to get up and go! I honestly think this was good for me - it forced me to get up and move around a little bit (VERY slowly and ALWAYS with help!!), which got things moving and helped me to work off some of the anesthetic. If you can live without the catheter and your doctor is OK with it, don't be afraid about having to get up and move. The first few days are really the worst, and by worst I certainly don't mean bad. Take your pain meds, you have them for a reason. Don't wait to hurt, because then you've waited too long! You will be moving slowly and if you have to go up stairs (I did) take them one at a time, and always have someone with you. The pain meds might make you lightheaded. When I slept, I was on my side with a bed pillow in front of my tummy. That seemed to help. And DH had to help me out of bed, and help me up if I had been sitting.

The most important piece of advice I can give you is to REST. With laparoscopic insicions, we think our surgery was minor, well it wasn't! Your body needs to heal and that takes time. Get books and DVD's and let people take care of you. Drink lots of fluids, some women say with the catheter they ended up with a UTI, and heaven knows that's the last thing you need right now!!

Rest, rest and rest. I started going for very short walks about 1 week post op. I walked a little more each day as I felt I could.

As for the possibility of becoming constipated from the anesthesia, and not really moving around alot, eat 1 apple every day. I have found that to be the best and most natural cure.

I've seen it written here, and know firsthand that it's so true. You have only one chance to heal perfectly, so listen to your body and listen to your doctor and take it easy!!

Best of luck to you!!
Unread 04-19-2006, 07:45 PM

Wow! Thanks JennyKate...that was very informative. I'm taking meds(Cipro) for a UTI, and I really don't want another one that's for sure.
I see that you have PCOS too!
Do you ever go to www.Soulcysters.net?
Unread 04-19-2006, 07:49 PM

I had an LSH and BSO on April 7th. For me, they took the catheter out before I woke up in post-op... which was too soon, I think, since I had extensive endo on my bladder and they had to reinsert the catheter later that day. But chances are, yours will be out and you will be encouraged to get up and pee when you need to go.

My doc tells everyone they should go home later that day. Crazy, I think. I had decided to stay the night ANYWAY since I live an hour and a half from the hospital. But because of my bladder issues I couldn't leave until the next morning anyway.

I had pain meds through day 2. I had a lot of pain at first, but once brought under control it really wasn't too bad. My doc doesn't believe in prescribing pain meds for an LSH... I was shocked and appalled and am still angry that he told me to take Ibuprofin... even when I said I was in pain. They pain was not excruciating by any stretch, but it took a lot of energy and kept me from moving as much as I might have.

I had my post-op yesterday on post-op day 11, and was cleared for everything except lifting things over 20 pounds, abdominal stretches and strength training, and sex. I can start doing all those things at week 3.

I am still really tired, especially in the late afternoon and evening, a tiredness like I've never really felt before. I still move a little gingerly. The belly button incision hurts the most.

Looking back, I think that at each step along the way I thought I was better, and more able to do things, than I really was. Part of that is my crazy surgeon's attitude... he's so impressed that he can do these really complicated surgeries laparoscopally that he thinks we barely feel it... and part is just that it is hard to judge in the moment. Today I went to the grocery store and I lifted way too much, and boy did it hurt afterwards, deep hurt, like muscular hurt in my abdomen. It took me by surprise. So even though the surgery is not nearly as invasive as an abdominal, take it slow and easy.

Good luck! Melissa
Unread 04-20-2006, 05:48 AM
3 months out

I had an LSH 3 months ago for adeno and a hugh fibroid.........went fine,had to stay overnight to get post-op antibiotics (my particular surgeon`s protocol) went home the next day and had a uneventful recovery..........I agree with the sister who said just because the surgery was laparascopic;doesn`t mean it wasn`t MAJOR surgery......please keep that in mind and give your body the time it needs to heal......and remember everyone heals at different rates........I had a lot of post-op inflamation which took about 6-7 weeks to fully resolve........after that I felt MUCH better Best of luck to all sisters getting ready for the castle !!!! Blessings,Renee

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register