Upcoming hysterectomy 12/20: Required Uterine Biopsy - Cytotec | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 12/20: Required Uterine Biopsy - Cytotec Upcoming hysterectomy 12/20: Required Uterine Biopsy - Cytotec

Unread 11-19-2018, 11:46 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy 12/20: Required Uterine Biopsy - Cytotec

Ok so my doc said for insurance purposes that I had to have a uterine biopsy. I had to use Cytotec to dilate my cervix (applied directly to the cervix at home around 9:30pm). Within 45 minutes I was cramping so bad, I took Alieve with no effect. At 1:20am I had to call the doctor. I felt like I was in full blown labor dilated to 10 and no baby He said the cramping should stop in a couple more hours and to take more Alieve. When it still didn't go away I called him again at 4am. He said he'd never had anyone have that kind of sensitivity with it. I also told him I was absolutlely not going to do the other 2 inserts in the morning. Well the pain was so bad I ended up vomiting several times. I got ZERO sleep, still cramping and he ended up not doing the biopsy this morning due to my pain. Has anyone else had this experience with just using the Cytotec? Was the worst night of my life. I almost ubered to the ER and demanded an emergent hysterectomy lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-19-2018, 12:00 PM
Re: Required Uterine Biopsy - Cytotec

Wow! My gyn had me insert misoprostol (the generic name of Cytotec) up my vagina before my D&C. I had to put two tablets up the evening before and two more tablets the morning of. Each tablet was 200 micrograms (0.2 mg), I didn't notice any effects, though. I wasn't actually sure it had worked, but the D&C went okay.
Unread 11-22-2018, 07:37 PM
Re: Required Uterine Biopsy - Cytotec

I was prescribed the misoprostol as well...two tablets the night before to insert, and then two the next morning before my afternoon appt. I was fine for 30 mins, laid in bed and then the cramping started. And it was BAD. I was doubled over, couldn't stand up straight. I've never had cramping like that before (I also haven't given birth but I think that was the closest I've been to feeling it LOL.). Luckily though, I took two extra strength ibuprofen (800mg total) and that helped me. Had to do the same the next morning too.

I'm so sorry to hear the Aleve didn't work...if my ibuprofen hadn't, I would've been making those calls as well!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-23-2018, 05:15 PM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 12/20: Required Uterine Biopsy - Cytotec

I had a uterine biopsy but no d & C. I was in the office and did it with no prep whatsoever. She said usually they have you take advil an hour before.
Unread 11-25-2018, 09:50 PM

wow! I am SO glad I did not take that before my cervical myomectomy one time when the doctor was going to give it to me. I am sorry you had to endure that. They can do what they need without it I feel- That is absolutely ridiculous they gave that to you in my opinion. In fact, its ridiculous and barbaric they even practice uterine biopsies without giving patients any kind of sedatives to do so!! My first one many years ago they gave me no drugs or anything and the pain was the worst Ive ever felt. This time (about a month ago, I asked for sedation and they gave me a little fentanyl and versed and I STILL FELT both passes during the procedure. Thankfully, they were at least tolerable pain. If you haven't had it done already again, call your doctor and request sedation, and don't take that cervix dilating medicine- unless there is an absolute need for you to- for some reason they can't get through your cervix without it or something! (which is silly because its a thin instrument so I am sure they can!)

Another note: My surgery is scheduled for December 20th as well! Keep in touch!
Unread 11-26-2018, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizzy880 View Post
...for some reason they can't get through your cervix without it or something! (which is silly because its a thin instrument so I am sure they can!)...
Well, not always. My gyn attempted to do an office endometrial biopsy on me due to post-menopausal bleeding. Between being post-menopausal and the fact that I've never had kids, my cervix was too stiff and narrow for her to get the pipelle in there. It just would not go.

We booked an OR slot for a D&C/hysteroscopy instead. I was under twilight sedation. Actually, I was right out of it! I took misoprostol beforehand without incident, but if I'd had a bad reaction to the misoprostol, I would think that a D&C/hysteroscopy could be done without it?

I would definitely recommend asking for a D&C/hysteroscopy if your cervix is not going to cooperate with an office biopsy. It will take a bit longer to arrange (get an OR slot) and if you have to pay for it, it will be more expensive. But by me, that's preferable to a doc trying to push a pipelle through a passage that simply won't admit it.
Unread 11-27-2018, 07:35 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy 12/20: Required Uterine Biopsy - Cytotec

I don't remember having issues with the Cytotec, maybe just some mild cramping but I kinda thought it could have been menstrual cramps as well. I had the hysteroscopy and endometrial biopsy in the office (they let my husband come back to hold my hand and very unlike him, he broke out in a cold sweat from seeing me in such pain). They did the biopsy first and it hurt like heck. I was prescribed 2 Percocet and told to tak 1 to 2 an hour before the procedure. I normally can only stand half dosages of pain meds because they make me really loopy but I took a whole one, only one, and it didn't do much to take the edge off of the pain of them doing the procedure. The doctor told me the lining was thick, Inwasnt due to have my period for over a week but it ended up starting a few days after the procedure.

Good luck, my doctor said most of these procedures are done in the office but some cannot handle it and have to be done in the OR under general anesthesia. She did this procedure, as well as a transvaginal ultrasound to make sure there is no cancer before proceeding with the hysterectomy.
Unread 11-27-2018, 07:57 PM

I had an endometrial biopsy but I didn't take anything before-hand, either for dilation or for pain. She said usually they advise taking pain meds an hour before, but since I was already there being examined, we decided to go ahead without that. It HURT so bad! I had to squeeze the hand of the assistant so hard to get through it. If the pain from Cytotec was like that, I can imagine how bad it was to take it at home.

Having a uterus really sucks sometimes - I'm ready to get rid of mine!
Unread 11-29-2018, 09:33 AM

Thanks for responding. Our date is fast approaching! Wishing you well on that day and for a speedy and easy recovery!
Unread 12-01-2018, 05:42 PM

When I had my son in 1998 they used Cytotec applied to the cervix to induce labor. I had a horrible labor because it caused my uterus to contract and stay contracted - for 9 hours straight. I later learned that this is a very controversial drug that has a lot of bad side effects. I'm sorry to hear they are still using this on women.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register