testing | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 11-17-2003, 07:41 PM
testing

Hi-
I posted last Monday, 10th about going back to gyn and told I have no options other than hysterectomy and gyn gave me a couple of tests to have done (one to check on my fibroid)and I'm to keep a diary and I'm to go back in 2 months to him to discuss my case and possibly get ready to approach insurance company about hysterectomy.....whew!
Well, I had my ultrasound today and had a very nice technician. This was right in my gyn's office. Last time the technician would not divulge any info to me about my fibroid ( I had it done somewhere different before this time.) This time, I had a little attitude (but in a very nice way) saying, "hey, I know I have it, let me know what you see."
I found out that my fibroid did in fact grow, around 1 cm since last year. She said that isn't a lot, per say, but a steady growth rate. My uterus though is out of whack. She said a normal uterus is close to 7 cm, give or take. Mine is right around 7, with the fibroid on top, which makes it around 11 cm in height, and a normal uterus is around 3 cm. wide. Mine is over 6 cm wide, double the normal size. So that was interesting to know. Of course this will go to my gyn. and will be read and I'll find out results from him.
Second, I had to go for my mammogram, which I had never had one before only being 32. Around where I live, they don't do them initially before you're 35. The technician had to double check that she could do one on me for fear that she'd get in trouble doing one on me since I'm 32. But after looking at the gyn's order paper and checking, all was a go. I survived that, it wasn't too bad.
So now I just wait to hear pap results, official ultrasound results, mammogram results. I'll continue to keep my diary, have my visit with the incontinence nurse at my gyn to help me with my stress incontinence, and I'll go back to gyn in Jan. like he asked me.

OK, here's a question for all you experienced ladies....My husband is forced to change health insurance carriers beginning Jan. 1 because his company is dropping the one we have now...the one that I have had all my gyn visits, ultrasounds, previous surgery, etc. covered by. Even these new tests...pap, mammo, new ultrasound. I'm worried that by changing health insurance carriers, like we're going to have to, will somehow hinder my process of getting approved for a hysterectomy. I mean, to go back to the gyn. in January, like he asked, and then say he collects all my file, gets it in order, then calls and asks to get a hyst approved for me, who is a "new customer"...I'm worried. My husband checked with his benefits hotline and they said that there is no longer a "pre existing" law (or whatever you call it) that would hinder anything. But I still am nervous about this. Maybe I'm just worrying for nothing. I mean, to have my file is to have my file...it's all going to say the same thing regardless of whether I changed insurances or not. But, has anyone had to go get second opinions or anything like that because of insurances...I guess they could do something like that. Did anyone have a similar experience and if so, what happenend???

Thank you for listening. I really mean it. I was 25 when I lost my mom to cancer, and although I didn't have any of these problems then, it's times like these I wish I had my mom for support and to talk to. I feel good knowing I can just say what's on my mind and it's such a bonus to have experienced, knowledgable women who have shared similar experiences to talk to. God bless you.

Erica (esa)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-17-2003, 08:43 PM
testing

I am not real sure what will happen with the insurance, but yes, sometimes 2nd opinions could be required. If you need the surgery and a doctor gives good cause I don't see that they can deny it. Maybe someone will come along with more info. You could call your insurance and ask them about this. I am sure they are familiar with these sorts of questions.

I am sorry you lost your Mom to cancer, I did too, but I was about 37 and I can relate on how you miss talking to her.

You are in good company here, continue to come and ask questions and share with us.

s
Unread 11-18-2003, 06:24 AM
testing

((( Erica )))

I think that if your dr writes that your hyst is a necessary surgery and with the test results backing that up, the insurance should approve it. If it isn't approved, you can appeal the decision. That being said,I also think that a second opinion might be a good idea anyway. This is a major surgery and it's good to make certain that it's the best option for you.

I also lost my mom to cancer 3 years ago, and I miss her still. Please do come here when you have a question or just need a hug.

Best wishes.

s

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register